Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
MikeTheVike
macrumors regular

iPhone 4 battery doesn't last as long anymore

I've had an iPhone 4 since they came out and I always got good battery life. My phone routine on the weekdays is almost always the same and I would usually have 50-60% battery left when leaving work. Currently it's at 5% and the past month has been like this. My usage is the same as ever. Could a little over 2 years be the time span of this battery? Anyone else having this problem?
MikeTheVike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
CSpackler
macrumors regular

Yeah, Li-ion batteries lose their charge capacity over time. It's normal.
CSpackler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:58 PM   #3
jetblk328i
macrumors 6502

Interesting, I have been noticing this recently as well. I used to be 15% or so by the time I head off to bed and start charging overnight. Now I'll be 15% before dinner time, roughly 5 hours before my typical charging time.

Looked at some battery apps and I'm now at about 1263 mah instead of the 1420 mah when it was brand new. Lost just over 11% in a year and a half.

Hurry up Apple!
jetblk328i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:40 AM   #4
BrandonZ
macrumors regular

I dont know about the older battery idea in this instance. I just got my 4 replaced 3 weeks ago (home button fail) and it had amazing battery life until three days ago and it just started draining like crazy. I reset my network settings and that didnt help at all. Im not sure what to do except a full restore which I really dont want to do.
BrandonZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:57 PM   #5
LittleGwen
Banned

You can get your battery replaced at Apple. Now only if I can do that for my iPad...
LittleGwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6
gpezzino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonZ View Post
I dont know about the older battery idea in this instance. I just got my 4 replaced 3 weeks ago (home button fail) and it had amazing battery life until three days ago and it just started draining like crazy. I reset my network settings and that didnt help at all. Im not sure what to do except a full restore which I really dont want to do.
Same here. This is not just normal battery wear and tear. I updated over 20 apps all at the same time a couple of days ago. Since then, my battery life is incredibly low - today I hardly used the phone at all and I am down to 20%! I suspect that one of my apps is causing that but I have no idea which one....
gpezzino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #7
cynics
macrumors 603

May just be in my head but I feel that sometimes my battery sucks. I let it completely die then charge it too 100% then it seems better.

Replacing the battery isn't that terribly difficult either.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
PNutts
macrumors 601

No, no, no. That's not normal. There is an issue somewhere. Typically it's an app. Turn the phone off and on and see if that resolves it. You should also let your battery run down to zero once a month.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

While all technology has a "shelf life", the battery in your iPhone shouldn't lose very much over a 2 year period.
Usually, you'll find that through reports of battery loss many are cured or made better by doing a restore as new.

Try this action if no others improve your situation.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
iHelios
macrumors member

My 3GS from 2009 still puts out 5 to 6 hours of usage with 1.5 to 2 days of standby. I would do what others have mentioned and do a restore before trying to replace anything.
iHelios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone