Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noday42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Has anyone found a way to get Gmail mail updates integrated into Notifications (a la Google Notifier)? Or is this not possible yet?

aaronlam

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
If you enable Desktop Notifications in Gmail,

Then in Safari Preferences - > Notifications (enable mail.google.com)

Then in System Preferences -> Notifications (make sure Safari has banners)

Should work for alerts. Haven't figured out how to make it stick in the tray... anyone help on that?

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Seems to only be working for some Google Apps Gmail accounts... standard Gmail accounts aren't working...

million7

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Florida
it should work if you use chrome, and have gmail open in a tab.

and have desktop notifications enabled in your gmail settings.
this should also work with gtalk

Edit: I'm not sure, but i think your gmail tab should be inactive for the notification to show up.
The old chrome desktop notification will be replaced with the new notification center banner.

silpheed

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
The old chrome desktop notification will be replaced with the new notification center banner.

Has anyone successfully been able to revert back to the old Chrome desktop notifications? Not liking the new notifications at all.

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
Gmail notifs still don't work for me. It use to work flawlessly back in the day. I switched to Safari, didn't like it, then switched back to Chrome and the Gmail notifs don't pop up anymore.

I have the gmail tab opened, and set notifications to be allowed:
WWQ8SwMOCCJOatuD

and of course my settings are on:
mMjRkzpYpyfp2WiR

Is this happening to everyone? Or is there something i'm missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.