Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipandrews

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
I have both my receive messages at set up to the same email, but when I send messages from my iPhone it does not show up on my mac. Not sure if this is just a time delay thing or if I have something set up wrong. Thanks

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
I'm having the same issue... Can't figure it out. Not getting notifications in notification center.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Booooo, I got the same thing going on. This was one of the few features I was looking forward to use on ML. I'd also rather have my name displayed, than my email. Or my phone number, no one really recognizes my email.

I hope they fix this soon!

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Messages not syncing

I missed some important messages today because they were going to my computer but no longer to my phone. I hope there is a solution soon.

momoz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I might be on to something..

My Messages works perfect. Today I upgraded my MB Air and iMac to ML.
for some reason I updated my apple ID account on the webpage trying to get it to work ( originally it didn't). an imessage sent to my PHONE# sends to ALL devices and when I reply the reply shows up on ALL devices. (MB AIR,iMAC,iPad,iPhone). My iphone uses phone# as callerID, iPad,ML both use AppleID).

My wife's I can NOT make it work.. only when I set all "Caller ID" to her AppleID.

What I noticed was different is on my AppleID account the phone number entries are different.
Mine (working) has the Country code, areacode and phone separated.
Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 11.03.47 PM.png

Hers does not and does not work..
Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 11.04.26 PM.png

mike

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Until iOS 6 is public you won't be able to unify your phone number and apple ID. To receive messages on your computer make sure your email is also an option in send&receive on your iPhone. I found setting my caller ID as my email helped to make sure messages came on all devices

philipandrews

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
I hope this a first for someone to post a question then bring about a solution. First you need to make sure that you have both emails set up for receive messages at. Then depending on the system, you need to first send a message from ML and after that the chat you are in with whomever will update across all devices. Hope this helps. :)

shalasz

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Mine wasn't working either until...

-I logged into my Apple ID account online and saw that my cell phone wasn't listed on my account.

-Went to Messages>Preferences>Accounts and then logged into my Apple ID from there. Nowhere have I seen anything that tells you to do this. Once I logged in from here, all working fine.

Hope this helps.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
I had my mobile number one digit incorrect on my Apple ID account so maybe that's why I wasn't getting my messages on my iPhone but was still getting them on my Mac?

I don't like the idea of using 3 different "addresses" to receive iMessage. I want it to be my mobile number across my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro - keep it simple.

jttran74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
I set my caller id to my apple id instead of my phone. Also make sure your phone number is correct at appleid.apple.com It didn't work right away, but after about 30 minutes it started syncing just fine.

Last edited:

DoomRider

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I found the following and did it all.
Deleted messages - Turned off iMessage - Turned it back on - Activated Apple ID in Message settings (on iPhone and on Macbook) - Set Caller ID in Message settings on iPhone to email address NOT phone number - Then reset my phone (hold home and power button) and laptop.
Voila! Now they both sync instantly. :)
Here are the steps...

Fix 1

Activate iMessage on all your iOS5 devices using the same Apple ID. If you already activated iMessage, tap Settings > Messages then turn off iMessage. From there, open by tapping Messages app on the home screen to sign in with your Apple ID to activate iMessage.

Fix 2

Complete this process on each iOS devices you have. Tap Settings > Messages > Receive At. Receiving At settings is your cell phone number on your iPhone by default. Add the same e-mail address on all devices as another “Receive At” location.

Fix 3

Tap Settings > Messages > Receive At > Caller ID and then tap on the Apple ID (same ID on all devices) as your caller ID.

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Haha yup! The caller ID method worked for me! Funny how "not-straightforward" it is. Oh well, at least it works! :D

docbigsky

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Big Sky, MT
Worked For Me!

Deleted messages - Turned off iMessage - Turned it back on - Activated Apple ID in Message settings (on iPhone and on Macbook) - Set Caller ID in Message settings on iPhone to email address NOT phone number - Then reset my phone (hold home and power button) and laptop.
Here are the steps...

Fix 1

Activate iMessage on all your iOS5 devices using the same Apple ID. If you already activated iMessage, tap Settings > Messages then turn off iMessage. From there, open by tapping Messages app on the home screen to sign in with your Apple ID to activate iMessage.

Fix 2

Complete this process on each iOS devices you have. Tap Settings > Messages > Receive At. Receiving At settings is your cell phone number on your iPhone by default. Add the same e-mail address on all devices as another “Receive At” location.

Fix 3

Tap Settings > Messages > Receive At > Caller ID and then tap on the Apple ID (same ID on all devices) as your caller ID.

Doomrider's fix worked for me. Changed return to AppleID, turned iMessage off and back on on phone, restarted everything and voila. Thanks!

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Here are the steps...

Fix 1

Fix 2

Fix 3

does that mean when someone messages you at your phone number, itll snyc, but then when you respond theyll get a responce from apple id email?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
bump this thread because DoomRider's solution is the only one that really works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.