Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe and Avid Report Only Minor Issues With Mountain Lion

Adobe and Avid have reported only minor issues with their applications on Mountain Lion, in a pair of posts on their respective websites.

The main issue with Avid's software is related to the Gatekeeper security feature:
Quote:
Avid is in the process of preparing code-signed versions of our applications and plug-ins that are compatible with Mountain Lion. We realize that users will temporarily wish to work with versions that are not yet signed. Unsigned software can trigger warning messages from Gatekeeper which Avid users can easily bypass, then proceed to install and run their software.
Avid does report a few small problems when using Pro Tools 10.2 and lower, including a problem with Core Audio and another regarding some commands ceasing to function.

Adobe says that there are no known issues with Adobe CS apps and Mountain Lion.
Quote:
Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Suite® 5, 5.5 and CS6 editions and individual products for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8). Earlier versions of Adobe Photoshop® (CS3 and CS4) software were also tested with Mountain Lion and there are currently no known issues.
Adobe requests that users discovering problems report them to Adobe.

Article Link: Adobe and Avid Report Only Minor Issues With Mountain Lion
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

I'm making sure about my Topaz plug-ins for PS & Aperture 3 not to mention making sure my printers are supported and no issues before I take the plunge this round.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Baklava
macrumors 6502

I'll use Snow Leopard as my work OS anyway. It is just stable and works perfectly.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
timshundo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to timshundo
Fireworks CS6 is pretty buggy under ML. Every time you export a document, you get a dialog box that says "File could not be found" even though it saves. Doesn't make sense. Not to mention a bunch of random, unfamiliar crashes that don't take advantage of Firework's File Recovery on crash. :/
timshundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Isn't this the whole point of providing developer previews? They've had months to prepare for Mountain Lion.
unobtainium is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

sometimes it's best to leave things alone and let the problem solve itself
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
cargath
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Isn't this the whole point of providing developer previews? They've had months to prepare for Mountain Lion.
Exactly my thoughts. Why does Adobe always wait till the actual release instead of using the developer previews?
cargath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
jpitcairn
macrumors member

surprised how quickly Avid made a comment!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Based on my experience for working for a major software company, things can ~sometimes~ change fairly drastically between each developer preview, especially when the company shipping the updates tends to never share any specific direction with where things are going. So to save time/money devs find it better to wait till after the GM ships.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

There should be no issues. If an application works under MacOS 1.0 (not X) then it should also run fine under MacOSX10.7 what ever. Apple should not be breaking our tools. Same goes for the hardware side. The modern computer has the capability, the power, to do any necessary emulation. All old software all the way back should work on any new Apple hardware including using it on the iOS.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 PM   #11
skellener
macrumors 65816

http://roaringapps.com

CS5 & 5.5 After Effects report "Some problems in 10.8"

I don't see CS6 listed.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #12
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargath View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Why does Adobe always wait till the actual release instead of using the developer previews?
What makes you think they waited ? Seems to me if they can report this today, they've been testing for quite a while, which means they have been following the developer previews.

Or do you think testing is done in a few hours ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
There should be no issues. If an application works under MacOS 1.0 (not X) then it should also run fine under MacOSX10.7 what ever. Apple should not be breaking our tools. Same goes for the hardware side. The modern computer has the capability, the power, to do any necessary emulation. All old software all the way back should work on any new Apple hardware including using it on the iOS.
Not the way it works unfortunately. APIs and subsystems get deprecated and replaced with better, more robust code. Bugs get fixed and application that were written under the assumptions that these bugs exist might break on working versions of system calls or API methods/functions.

To go forward, sometimes you just have to break with the past. It's how computing works. Systems that drag around legacy code and bit rot suffer greatly from degraded performance and bloat.

I don't think you quite understand how modern computers work if you think you can just emulate old code paths indefinitely and you don't quite understand software if you think that is even something that's desired.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if cs4 illustrator and InDesign work on mountain lion? I only have access to these old versions for work. Don't require them to run perfectly. Just hoping they function OK considering I have no trouble with them in lion.
Saturn1217 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:38 PM   #14
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I can't believe this is even a serious post. Systems change, and pulling a bunch of legacy stuff into an updated operating system so that absolutely nothing breaks is ridiculous. That's how things get crazily bloated.

It's not all that often that I agree with KnightWRX, but this is one of the times when I do. In order for operating systems to progress, they can't be saddled with 10 years of legacy stuff. Every once in a while you need to update your software. Get used to it.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:47 PM   #15
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
Does anyone know if cs4 illustrator and InDesign work on mountain lion? I only have access to these old versions for work. Don't require them to run perfectly. Just hoping they function OK considering I have no trouble with them in lion.
Have CS4 on one iMac and CS5.5 on other iMac. Both are working fine. Both versions of Master Collections seem to be working fine. I use Dreamweaver, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects the most and have had no issues so far on either version. Been using them all day since I upgraded to ML. Have opened the other programs as well but not used them for any length of time.
firedept is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:58 PM   #16
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
You obviously haven't dealt with Pro Tools (Avid).

I don't see why people are complaining about Adobe, they're saying things are fine for the most part.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
Quote:
I do agree that Apple should try a bit harder with backwards compatibility; certainly I think that the latest versions of Safari, Xcode, iWork, and iCloud should run on Snow Leopard (the OS just isn't that old; the last update for it came a year ago today), and not supporting iOS 6 for the original iPad just sucks.

But Apple generally handles transitions extremely well. Think of the OS 9->OS X move, which was well executed with the Classic/Carbon/Cocoa strategy. Plus the PowerPC->Intel transition, which, save for Intuit products and maybe Microsoft and Adobe, end users really didn't need to worry about thanks to Rosetta and Universal Binaries. We're also currently in a transition between 32-bit and 64-bit, which Apple is handling deftly and quietly, also thanks to Universal/fat binaries. (When was the last time you had to worry about whether you should run a 32-bit or 64-bit app on your Mac? Probably never. These are things Windows users have to deal with.)

But sometimes, it's time to move on. Removing Rosetta from OS X saved a lot of time and effort for Apple; they no longer had to compile the entire operating system for three different platforms (ppc, i386, x86_64). Removing 32-bit support in Lion similarly saved Apple from having to target the kernel for two platforms (or three, if you include iOS) every build. I wish they had waited an extra year or two before getting rid of Rosetta, but such is life. It's Apple's decision, and other than Quicken, it hasn't been a huge deal for most users.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Cursor
macrumors 6502

Anybody know if QuarkXpress 8.5.1 works? I know it's not an Adobe product, but I figured designers might be scanning this thread for compatibility issues.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I can confirm no issues with Adobe Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator or Dreamweaver CS6..
Yamcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:19 PM   #20
jpine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If it were only so. A good friend watched his ProTools recording software (only two years or so old) cease to function with Lion.
jpine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #21
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
I can confirm no issues with Adobe Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator or Dreamweaver CS6..
Somebody else mentioned Fireworks throws an error message on every file export. So you're not seeing that? I do web design so Photoshop I don't care about. But I can't switch to ML if Fireworks isn't working.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:32 PM   #22
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Somebody else mentioned Fireworks throws an error message on every file export. So you're not seeing that? I do web design so Photoshop I don't care about. But I can't switch to ML if Fireworks isn't working.
I'm a Web Designer as well =), I've switched over to Fireworks for the vast majority of my works a while back, but yes I can confirm that exporting works without issue.. I'm not getting any errors using Fireworks CS6..
Yamcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Alex72
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I'm making sure about my Topaz plug-ins for PS & Aperture 3 not to mention making sure my printers are supported and no issues before I take the plunge this round.
I'm with you. Running CS4 + a bunch of Topaz plug-ins under 10.6.8, and waiting for a good, solid 'all clear' -- especially as I can't remember where all my install media are.
Alex72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:28 PM   #24
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpine View Post
If it were only so. A good friend watched his ProTools recording software (only two years or so old) cease to function with Lion.
So, why did he upgrade then? Audio/video professionals never upgrade until the vendor comes out with a support statement and any patches, because that software is core to that person's job.

Apple may have broken Pro Tools, but your friend broke his own computer by upgrading carelessly.
batchtaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 PM   #25
Sylon
macrumors 68000

I don't have any of the CS programs, can't afford them. I do, however, have the Elements 10 Suite with Photoshop and Premiere.

I'll be able to test their compatibility tomorrow morning.

Unless someone already has???

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion