Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wcrankshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I've got a dilemma regarding the MacBook Pro and iMac. All I can afford of either is the base model. So, 13" Dual Core i5 MBP. Is that computer equipped enough to handle moderately sized photoshop files quickly? What about handbrake? That's about the extent of what I'll be doing that will actually tax the computer. I would also hook up to a 21" 1080 Vizio TV at home to compromise not having the iMac. I would say portability is somewhat important, but I could probably get by without.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I've got a dilemma regarding the MacBook Pro and iMac. All I can afford of either is the base model. So, 13" Dual Core i5 MBP. Is that computer equipped enough to handle moderately sized photoshop files quickly? What about handbrake? That's about the extent of what I'll be doing that will actually tax the computer. I would also hook up to a 21" 1080 Vizio TV at home to compromise not having the iMac. I would say portability is somewhat important, but I could probably get by without.
Yep, Photoshop works fine on my 13" Macbook Pro :)

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Sure. Performance should be no issue. Screen size and resolution is another story.

hulfordp

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
yep

I have a 13 inch 2010 base model macbook pro. I currently run Photoshop CS6 on it pretty well. When I need more screen space I hook it up to my 23 inch monitor. I just found a cheap 23 inch monitor at Bestbuy, an open box which works well. Go for the laptop and then save up $200 later and get a monitor

markintosh

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Use it every day!

I use Photoshop on my 13" MBP nearly every day (CS6).
I have an early 2011 i7 model.
I highly recommend an upgrade to 16GB RAM (which Apple doesn't support, but it works great!) PS flies!

wcrankshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Um I wouldn't rely on a Vizio tv as a monitor to produce digital work.

All the photography I do is purely hobby and almost entirely black and white film. I've never been one to worry too much about calibration etc, and previously only used a 2008 MacBook pro for everything. Surely the Vizio won't be a step in the wrong direction from that if I use the OSX calibration wizard right?

JatoFire

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
I have a 2012 13" Macbook Pro with 8GB of memory. Photoshop is fine for me, when I am doing design I use a 24" 1080p LCD (Acer). I have no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.