Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Project Management Tools..

Hello..

I am curious what tools others use to help them manage projects at work or their businesses.

- Is it Mac or Windows based programs or both?
- If it is a Windows based environment do you mix any Mac tools in for your own use?
- Do you work with teams?
- Do these teams need access to files that are on Mac and/or a Windows Box? i.e. utilizing a mixed environment and have you had any issues or obstacles you have had to over come?
- Aside from project management tools such as MS Project, what other tools do you use to help you stay organized and on track?

I forgot to add. Do you use any handheld devices such at the iPhone, iPad, Android device? If so what programs/apps are you using to keep on track with items for your project or team project?

Any suggestions for books or websites to visit that can help someone who learning about project management?

Last edited by rhett7660; Jul 25, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
MarkKenny
macrumors newbie

We use our own tool to manage projects, HippoHub (www.hipposolutions.com/hippo-hub.aspx). It is web based so you use a web browser to access it (it does not matter if you are Mac or PC). We try to keep everything in there.

I would recommend a couple of sites to learn about project management:
http://www.project-management-podcast.com/
http://pmstudent.com/
http://herdingcats.typepad.com/my_weblog/
MarkKenny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKenny View Post
We use our own tool to manage projects, HippoHub (www.hipposolutions.com/hippo-hub.aspx). It is web based so you use a web browser to access it (it does not matter if you are Mac or PC). We try to keep everything in there.

I would recommend a couple of sites to learn about project management:
http://www.project-management-podcast.com/
http://pmstudent.com/
http://herdingcats.typepad.com/my_weblog/
I like the fact it is web based!

And thank you very much for the links. Looking at the podcasts now!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Milena
macrumors newbie

Indeed, web-based software makes your life much easier as you can access your data even if you are out of the office. And it works equally well both for Mac users and PC users. Web-based solutions are also great for online collaboration if your team is geographically spread, because all the project updates can be tracked and discussed in real time.
I know it because I’m a manager of such a distributed team. It is spread across several states, so it has been quite a challenge to keep them all on the same page without an online app.
We use Wrike (www.wrike.com) to manage our projects and we love it. It is easy-to-use, has great interface and has all the necessary features for me as a team leader (task management, timelines, time-tracking, etc) and for my team (online discussions, to-do emails, email notifications about task changes)
Here is how we use Wrike for document management: once a file has been uploaded to the system, other team members can view, discuss and edit it online.
As for mobile devices, I think the majority of web-based apps offer mobile versions. I use Wrike for IPhone quite extensively when I’m out of the office and it’s quite good.
Aside from Wrike I also use Google Calendar www.google.com/calendar a free time-management tool by Google.
Here is quite a good list of 10 PM blogs http://bit.ly/PfhVd0 . Also I’d advise you to look through “Project management”, “Collaboration” and “Productivity” sections on Quora (www.quora.com), there are tons of useful information.
I hope you find my answer useful.
Milena is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:33 AM   #5
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milena View Post
Indeed, web-based software makes your life much easier as you can access your data even if you are out of the office. And it works equally well both for Mac users and PC users. Web-based solutions are also great for online collaboration if your team is geographically spread, because all the project updates can be tracked and discussed in real time.
I know it because I’m a manager of such a distributed team. It is spread across several states, so it has been quite a challenge to keep them all on the same page without an online app.
We use Wrike (www.wrike.com) to manage our projects and we love it. It is easy-to-use, has great interface and has all the necessary features for me as a team leader (task management, timelines, time-tracking, etc) and for my team (online discussions, to-do emails, email notifications about task changes)
Here is how we use Wrike for document management: once a file has been uploaded to the system, other team members can view, discuss and edit it online.
As for mobile devices, I think the majority of web-based apps offer mobile versions. I use Wrike for IPhone quite extensively when I’m out of the office and it’s quite good.
Aside from Wrike I also use Google Calendar www.google.com/calendar a free time-management tool by Google.
Here is quite a good list of 10 PM blogs http://bit.ly/PfhVd0 . Also I’d advise you to look through “Project management”, “Collaboration” and “Productivity” sections on Quora (www.quora.com), there are tons of useful information.
I hope you find my answer useful.
Thank you very very much! Yes you and the other posters posts have been extremely helpful.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
aldeng
macrumors newbie

We make it fun

Or you could try our tool, http://propstoyou.com. We take a different approach. PropsToYou is about giving you credit for everything you do and awarding you fun badges for doing great work or helping out your teammates. At my company, we looked at all the tools out there and decided we wanted to make one about the people, not just the tasks. We've had a lot of fun with it on internal projects and just released it to the public. And it's free, to boot!
aldeng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
bapesta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hello..

I am curious what tools others use to help them manage projects at work or their businesses.

- Is it Mac or Windows based programs or both? Windows
- If it is a Windows based environment do you mix any Mac tools in for your own use?Mixed
- Do you work with teams?multiple
- Do these teams need access to files that are on Mac and/or a Windows Box? i.e. utilizing a mixed environment and have you had any issues or obstacles you have had to over come?Dropbox is very good but we use SharePoint due to security restrictions
- Aside from project management tools such as MS Project, what other tools do you use to help you stay organized and on track?Exchange. Having everyone on the same domain helped us having a standardised and scalable architecture for our PMO

I forgot to add. Do you use any handheld devices such at the iPhone, iPad, Android device? If so what programs/apps are you using to keep on track with items for your project or team project?

Any suggestions for books or websites to visit that can help someone who learning about project management?
When it comes to project management, MS Project is only one tool that handles scheduling/costing and resourcing. However it is very good when you need to look at your resource allocation over multiple projects. Just don't use resource leveling in MS Project! it doesn't really work!

My own preference is to use SharePoint and Project Server. It is such a overweight system but after trying so many different kinds, it still is one of the most completely solutions.

Another alternative is to use Confluence/JIRA but still haven't managed to incorporate a decent scheduling/gantt chart plugin into the Altassian ecosystem.

If your projects are not too complex, then I would suggest to look into a basecamp/dropbox/github ecosystem that works well.
bapesta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:16 PM   #8
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta View Post
When it comes to project management, MS Project is only one tool that handles scheduling/costing and resourcing. However it is very good when you need to look at your resource allocation over multiple projects. Just don't use resource leveling in MS Project! it doesn't really work!

My own preference is to use SharePoint and Project Server. It is such a overweight system but after trying so many different kinds, it still is one of the most completely solutions.

Another alternative is to use Confluence/JIRA but still haven't managed to incorporate a decent scheduling/gantt chart plugin into the Altassian ecosystem.

If your projects are not too complex, then I would suggest to look into a basecamp/dropbox/github ecosystem that works well.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I would love to look at the basecamp/dropbox solutions however the company I work for does not allow dropbox access.

Very familiar with MS Project. However I wanted to see what other people are using to keep track of all the different aspects of a project. I know there isn't really one product to do it all so I was wondering what others are using.

I am getting ready to start a rather large project that will have groups of people contributing information and deadlines.

Last edited by rhett7660; May 21, 2014 at 08:58 AM.
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:37 AM   #9
eguanga11
macrumors newbie

Project Management Tools

There is this one tool that I can guarantee you can BEST ORGANIZE your online market. here's the link to the tour page of that tool: http://www.projectmanager.com/projec...t-software.php

Try it out bro. Impatient to share to you ideas to master it.
eguanga11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
ChesterReed
macrumors newbie

Managing large projects especially from different locations is very tiring and stressful job. Project management software is really an aid for this problem and project managers could able to save a lot if they will going to use it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:09 AM   #11
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialewis520 View Post
Web based software makes working process really easy to handle number of projects at the same time so,There are lots of software going which you can easily find by searching online.Microsoft project management system is the best one to solve problems that you have described friend.
I have googled and I have asked others, but I was looking for what others have actually used.

I was also looking to see if anybody has used tools in a mixed environment i.e. Mac/Windows along with mobile devices.

Trust me I have seen lots and lots of tools after googling! LOL
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:47 AM   #12
arnoldc
macrumors newbie

Project Management Tool

I have used Proofhub for project management.

Proofhub is the cleanest and most professional of the bunch with fairly easy updates via email. It is low cost, very easy to use, and compatible with PC, Mac and even mobiles. It also integrate with Google Docs & Dropbox.

Try it at www.proofhub.com/.
arnoldc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:00 PM   #13
ivoyordanov
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hello..

- Is it Mac or Windows based programs or both?
- If it is a Windows based environment do you mix any Mac tools in for your own use?
- Do you work with teams?
- Do these teams need access to files that are on Mac and/or a Windows Box? i.e. utilizing a mixed environment and have you had any issues or obstacles you have had to over come?
- Aside from project management tools such as MS Project, what other tools do you use to help you stay organized and on track?

Hello

At my company I've been using a program called IntegriaIMS it's an opensource ticketing and administration program. I've managed to install it on any operating system with no problems. If you'd like to learn more here's a link: http://integriaims.com/

Regards
Ivo Yordanov
ivoyordanov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:12 AM   #14
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoyordanov View Post
Hello

At my company I've been using a program called IntegriaIMS it's an opensource ticketing and administration program. I've managed to install it on any operating system with no problems. If you'd like to learn more here's a link: http://integriaims.com/

Regards
Ivo Yordanov
Great! Thank you.......!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 02:21 AM   #15
DavidRogers
macrumors newbie

My experience with International Project Management

Hi, after years of switching softwares, our team has realized that Gantt charts provide the best solution once we are dealing with teams across continents. Currently i use 5pmweb, and it has been great. Any comments ?
DavidRogers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:40 AM   #16
rajnish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterReed View Post
Managing large projects especially from different locations is very tiring and stressful job. Project management software is really an aid for this problem and project managers could able to save a lot if they will going to use it.
Yes I agree with you,Project management software helps to simplify task management. It’s basically a team management system with which you can manage the work of your staff at one place.Try http://www.bizixx.com for Your organization to manage the work of your staff at one place.

Last edited by rajnish; May 1, 2014 at 03:44 AM.
rajnish is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store