Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
cmisener4
macrumors newbie

Automator in ML

Specifically workflows involving Quicktime. I'm having problems. Automator Runner won't launch them as it is supposed to (I use iCal alarms to open Automator Runner files) and Quicktime now goes through a different save file process. Anyone else having issues?
cmisener4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2
cmisener4
macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried Automator Runner yet? I find it hard to believe this is something that got passed over before being released.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:47 AM   #3
mike1
macrumors newbie

I am also having problems: I have Automator workflow files that I have set to launch with Automator Runner.app and now running them does nothing.

However, running the workflow files in Automator by pressing the Run button works fine.
mike1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
cmisener4
macrumors newbie

I put a call into Apple, they weren't aware of the problem and really couldn't do anything to help us out at this early stage, but at least it is documented with them as being an issue. Hopefully its something addressed in a future update or somebody around here with more skills then myself figures out the problem.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
mike1
macrumors newbie

Yeah, let's see if these issues get fixed in 10.8.1.

Helpful tip in case anyone comes across this thread: If you have workflows that include the "Launch Application" or "Quit Application" actions with iCal, Address Book, or iChat, the app names in Mountain Lion are now called Calendar, Contacts, and Messages, and your workflows won't automatically update themselves. You'll need to open them and choose the new app name(s).
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
cmisener4
macrumors newbie

Well after some tinkering, I think I've found a solution. When you start Automator and it asks you if you want the action to be a workflow, iCal alert, etc. Select the Application option, so the workflow is created as an Application. You can also convert an existing workflow to an Application in the Automator menu go File>Convert To...

Then in Calendar when you create the event, have a Calendar alert to Open said file and abracadabra, it runs at the right time! It pretty much bypasses using Automator Runner, for whatever reason having the action as an Application is different. I've only tested this on actions involving moving files to various folders and deleting things though.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
mike1
macrumors newbie

That's great, thanks! I used the Convert To... function and saved my .workflow files as .app files and now they execute. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion