Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
finalcoolman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Clue that Bluetooth iPod is Coming

Check out this Bluetooth intergrated helmet headset from Motorola's product preview site. It mentions using it to listen to your iPod. Could it be a clue that the next generation iPods will have Bluetooth?

http://promo.motorola.com/ProductPre...burtonhat.html
finalcoolman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Koodauw
macrumors 68040
 
Koodauw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Madison
Or perhaps you need some add on to your current iPod that will stream the audio over bluetooth. I believe Logitech makes a pair of Bluetooth headphones for use with the iPod.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
paperinacup
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same. If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
paperinacup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:21 PM   #4
cr2sh
macrumors 68030
 
cr2sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinacup
It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same. If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
There's a huge market right now for bluetooth headsets used in conjunction with bt enabled cell phones. Why would an ipod be any different?

In the end, though... I really think people want small, white, cute, cool looking headphones.. and they don't want to wear big, clunky, nerdy looking headsets with built in BT.

*shrug*

But I don't think the idea is anything to roll your eyes at.
__________________

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:27 PM   #5
grapes911
Moderator
 
grapes911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Citizens Bank Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinacup
It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same.
The sound would be fine. I've heard music via bluetooth and it was really no different than wired ear phones.
Quote:
If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
Only on the initial download. When most people sync their iPod, they only add a couple of songs and a playlist or two. It shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:36 PM   #6
ja0912
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I think Bluetooth 2.0 headphones are a great idea, and I believe have PLENTY of bandwidth for listening to music.

But yeah. syncing your iPod wouldn't be as fast as a wire, so I wouldn't use that. I'm also not buying any of these Bluetooth 1.2 headphones that have been hitting the market.
ja0912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000
 
steve_hill4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NG9, England
Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw
Or perhaps you need some add on to your current iPod that will stream the audio over bluetooth. I believe Logitech makes a pair of Bluetooth headphones for use with the iPod.
They do, but at 100, I am not to bothered about them. Bluetooth in an iPod is one feature that doesn't really excite me in the same way as video content and others do, it is something that I would not use.
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja0912
I think Bluetooth 2.0 headphones are a great idea, and I believe have PLENTY of bandwidth for listening to music.

But yeah. syncing your iPod wouldn't be as fast as a wire, so I wouldn't use that. I'm also not buying any of these Bluetooth 1.2 headphones that have been hitting the market.
The big advantage would be the headphones. Who cares about syncing? That's not a big hassle. Plug in, sync for a minute, done. It's once a day or two, and you're probably charging it up anyway. You'll never be totally wireless given a battery, anyway.
Le Big Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
i would much prefer a wifi ipod so i could play music to my airport express.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:26 AM   #10
Jay42
macrumors 65816
 
Jay42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
i would much prefer a wifi ipod so i could play music to my airport express.
....or a wifi video iPod that could connect to your video airport express hooked up to your tv. oh man, the ultimate remote control...
Jay42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:24 AM   #11
bigandy
macrumors G3
 
bigandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: B'more
just to shut you all up, i just got bluetooth headphones for my iPod. and they're GREAT, just like tony the tiger.

so there.

but god no, not for transferring songs. not bluetooth for that. yuk.
__________________
"any day that involves cat pee is a really bad day" - iBlue
bigandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 07:55 AM   #12
comic book guy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
I read (sorry cant remember where) that Bluetooth V.2 can support CD-Quality streaming, which should be enough for audio and control sequences for the ipod.

Since Apple is trying to integrate the ipod in cars of more and more manufacturers (see actual hotnews), i think this would be a mighty cool way. You could just take the ipod in your car and control it over the cars controls and displays (without pliugging it in of course).

But Motorola might as well refer to and add-on for the ipod.
__________________
we are hardly nerds
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powerbook Titanium (Gigabit Ethernet), 550 MHz PowerPC G4, 768 MB RAM;
Powerbook Aluminium 15", 1,67 GHz PowerPC G4, 1536 MB RAM;
comic book guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:34 AM   #13
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000
 
steve_hill4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NG9, England
Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic book guy
I read (sorry cant remember where) that Bluetooth V.2 can support CD-Quality streaming, which should be enough for audio and control sequences for the ipod.

Since Apple is trying to integrate the ipod in cars of more and more manufacturers (see actual hotnews), i think this would be a mighty cool way. You could just take the ipod in your car and control it over the cars controls and displays (without pliugging it in of course).

But Motorola might as well refer to and add-on for the ipod.
Well, that would be an interesting development. Bluetooth would not interest me normally, but if you could get a car stereo with Bluetooth, that would eliminate the need for the lower quality iTrip. They are technically illegal here in the UK, and so many still ask for them, that bluetooth would be a fast and legal way of playing in your car. The only problem there would then be convincing people to part with a couple of hundred smackers for a bluetooth enabled stereo.
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am happy with my AT&T service, and happy that the iPhone is coming to Verizon! jutte64 Wasteland 1 Jan 20, 2011 09:18 AM
3.0b2 hints that native iChat is coming! AHDuke99 iPhone 14 Apr 3, 2009 08:34 PM
Thats it, Mbp is coming next month! SchneiderMan Buying Tips and Advice 20 Aug 23, 2008 01:50 AM
Bluetooth iPod Adapter Coming (Again)? MacRumors MacRumors News Discussion (archive) 32 Aug 28, 2006 12:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC