Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
finalcoolman
macrumors 6502

Clue that Bluetooth iPod is Coming

Check out this Bluetooth intergrated helmet headset from Motorola's product preview site. It mentions using it to listen to your iPod. Could it be a clue that the next generation iPods will have Bluetooth?

http://promo.motorola.com/ProductPre...burtonhat.html
finalcoolman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Or perhaps you need some add on to your current iPod that will stream the audio over bluetooth. I believe Logitech makes a pair of Bluetooth headphones for use with the iPod.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
paperinacup
macrumors 6502

It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same. If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
paperinacup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:21 PM   #4
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinacup
It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same. If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
There's a huge market right now for bluetooth headsets used in conjunction with bt enabled cell phones. Why would an ipod be any different?

In the end, though... I really think people want small, white, cute, cool looking headphones.. and they don't want to wear big, clunky, nerdy looking headsets with built in BT.

*shrug*

But I don't think the idea is anything to roll your eyes at.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:27 PM   #5
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinacup
It would be pointless to put bluetooth on an iPod. Even if you were using a bluetooth headphone the static and range would be a VERY annoying factor. The quality of music also would not be the same.
The sound would be fine. I've heard music via bluetooth and it was really no different than wired ear phones.
Quote:
If you were going to sync wirelessly it would take FOREVER. It takes about a minute to sync my phone with my calender on the computer. Imagine transferring songs.......
Only on the initial download. When most people sync their iPod, they only add a couple of songs and a playlist or two. It shouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:36 PM   #6
ja0912
macrumors member

I think Bluetooth 2.0 headphones are a great idea, and I believe have PLENTY of bandwidth for listening to music.

But yeah. syncing your iPod wouldn't be as fast as a wire, so I wouldn't use that. I'm also not buying any of these Bluetooth 1.2 headphones that have been hitting the market.
ja0912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw
Or perhaps you need some add on to your current iPod that will stream the audio over bluetooth. I believe Logitech makes a pair of Bluetooth headphones for use with the iPod.
They do, but at 100, I am not to bothered about them. Bluetooth in an iPod is one feature that doesn't really excite me in the same way as video content and others do, it is something that I would not use.
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja0912
I think Bluetooth 2.0 headphones are a great idea, and I believe have PLENTY of bandwidth for listening to music.

But yeah. syncing your iPod wouldn't be as fast as a wire, so I wouldn't use that. I'm also not buying any of these Bluetooth 1.2 headphones that have been hitting the market.
The big advantage would be the headphones. Who cares about syncing? That's not a big hassle. Plug in, sync for a minute, done. It's once a day or two, and you're probably charging it up anyway. You'll never be totally wireless given a battery, anyway.
Le Big Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

i would much prefer a wifi ipod so i could play music to my airport express.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:26 AM   #10
Jay42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
i would much prefer a wifi ipod so i could play music to my airport express.
....or a wifi video iPod that could connect to your video airport express hooked up to your tv. oh man, the ultimate remote control...
Jay42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:24 AM   #11
bigandy
macrumors G3

just to shut you all up, i just got bluetooth headphones for my iPod. and they're GREAT, just like tony the tiger.

so there.

but god no, not for transferring songs. not bluetooth for that. yuk.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 07:55 AM   #12
comic book guy
macrumors newbie

I read (sorry cant remember where) that Bluetooth V.2 can support CD-Quality streaming, which should be enough for audio and control sequences for the ipod.

Since Apple is trying to integrate the ipod in cars of more and more manufacturers (see actual hotnews), i think this would be a mighty cool way. You could just take the ipod in your car and control it over the cars controls and displays (without pliugging it in of course).

But Motorola might as well refer to and add-on for the ipod.
Powerbook Aluminium 15", 1,67 GHz PowerPC G4, 1536 MB RAM;
comic book guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:34 AM   #13
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic book guy
I read (sorry cant remember where) that Bluetooth V.2 can support CD-Quality streaming, which should be enough for audio and control sequences for the ipod.

Since Apple is trying to integrate the ipod in cars of more and more manufacturers (see actual hotnews), i think this would be a mighty cool way. You could just take the ipod in your car and control it over the cars controls and displays (without pliugging it in of course).

But Motorola might as well refer to and add-on for the ipod.
Well, that would be an interesting development. Bluetooth would not interest me normally, but if you could get a car stereo with Bluetooth, that would eliminate the need for the lower quality iTrip. They are technically illegal here in the UK, and so many still ask for them, that bluetooth would be a fast and legal way of playing in your car. The only problem there would then be convincing people to part with a couple of hundred smackers for a bluetooth enabled stereo.
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod