Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarleyMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
VA
I am compiling information to write a Reference EBook. I need suggestions for a program to do it, but also one that will let me give the entries keywords, and a keyword search capability to retrieve information.
I haven't seen any such writing/compiling program that uses keywords. So I throw this question out to tap the vast knowledge and information in the group.

Thanks!

HarleyMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
VA
The "Reference Book" is actually for my daughter so the format is not that important initially, just that it produces a finished multiple page keyword searchable document. I want to be able to arrange it into topic sections, Vehicles, Dealing with Government, Home Repairs, Pure Bull**it, etc. etc.

Its kinda like emptying my brain of what I have learned through education and experience. Record it in one place (file/book) that she can access when she has a problem, and I'm gone.

An simple example would be having red liquid leaking from her car. Searching keywords car/leak/red, and finding an article I wrote on colors of fluids in cars and where they come from, with keywords, car, leak, fluid.

I tried to do the same thing with my father (a genius by the way) but the only technology we had back then was cassette audio recorder. I told him to talk into the recorder about anything and "empty his brain". He was doing it but unfortunately became sick and passed before I got too far.

As far as publishing it for the masses, I have been told that epub is the most common format for ebooks, I haven't researched that, but if true, that would be my first choice for ebook format.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
You'll need a program like calibre to open epubs, mobis etc. There is no default program on the Mac to open them.

One way to do it is to write a in a word processor and when you are ready to publish, choose Print and then choose the bottom left hand option, "Save as PDF".

diepalme

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
iBooks Author is free Apple software on the AppStore and can create keyword references. It also has a ton of other reference features and on the layout side works just like pages. Don't let the name misguide you - it's not just for the ipad or iphone, you can of course export your works locally and don't need an iTunes Connect account (which is free for free books, by the way, if you ever wanted to actually publish your work)

http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/

jackwarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
There are lots of*programs*or software related to keyword searching in the market, you just need to find it or you can contact to any*epublisher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.