Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
My cousin just told me that there is no more RSS in Mail in ML. I looked it up, and sure enough, one of my favorite features is gone. I remember doing my report on RSS in technology class, showing how awesome and flexible it is. I use RSS a lot in Mail with subscriptions to Google News, MacRumors, and other sources.

Why is Apple getting rid of this?? Is there anything we could do to change their mind...s? I can't believe they are getting rid of such a modern technology! It's so seemless and elegant, and they even use it in iPhoto for photo subscriptions.

UPDATE: Supposedly, they are adding it in a different, more annoying way. We'll see. The same cousin mentioned earlier found a post about it being in some developer preview.

Last edited:

dontcallmyname

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'm not sure why they got rid of it, but there are other ways to use RSS. There are dedicated readers and other people say they are more powerful than what was available in safari and mail. I can't give any recommendations though.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
I'm not sure why they got rid of it, but there are other ways to use RSS. There are dedicated readers and other people say they are more powerful than what was available in safari and mail. I can't give any recommendations though.

I can't really imagine anything better than RSS that sits right under my mailboxes. A dedicated reader is a bit pointless and adds more trouble than it is worth for me. An RSS feed inside of ML's new Notification Center would be almost as good as having it in Mail, though, so let's hope that some 3rd-party reader that works with the Notification Center can exist if Apple removes RSS from Mail. Still, the ability to forward RSS articles in Mail is crucial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.