Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I have just bought my parents a mac mini and my cousin was far more interested and wowed by the disign of the box that the computer came in than the computer. It made me think of my ex who was also a huge fan of the packaging of Apple computers, but hated the computers themselves.

Does anyone else know people who are delighted by the packaging of Apple products?

Applespider

macrumors G4
I don't recall anyone ever saying that they didn't like it; I think the cube iPod box made a lot of people think that a box could be cool. And the few times, I've sat buy as someone opened up a new iBook or Powerbook, they seem to have enjoyed themselves.

The only other company that I can recall buying something from which was as well packaged was FrancisFrancis who make coffee machines. The X1 comes in a box which as you open, falls apart gently so that you don't have to pull the machine out of the box by the top but can just pick it up from the bottom/sides. And it makes good coffee too

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Apple does have some of the best packaging. There's always an inside joke here when people buy new macs to smell and admire the packaging. Apple wraps it up like a present.

My only complaint is that the iPod packaging is slowly declining in bulid quality and "specialness."

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
When I went to pick up my new PowerBook in February, I was expecting the guy to appear from the back room with a sexy, Apple-designed box. Instead he was carrying one of those heinous brown recycled-cardboard boxes. I was so disappointed!

As it turns out, I'd come in a little earlier than they'd expected and it was still in the courier box :p.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
mad jew said:
Does anyone else keep all of their Apple boxes?

Even two identical AirPort Express boxes? :eek:

I have the box for my Blue + White G3 and the monitor, my PowerBook, my iPod, my Airport Extreme, my Bluetooth mouse, and all of my software. Throwing out anything with the words Designed By Apple In California emblazoned across it seems a little... sacrilegious :eek:.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Daveway said:
Apple does have some of the best packaging. There's always an inside joke here when people buy new macs to smell and admire the packaging. Apple wraps it up like a present.

My only complaint is that the iPod packaging is slowly declining in bulid quality and "specialness."

Oh hell yeah, you gotta sniff the box. Always.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mad jew said:
Does anyone else keep all of their Apple boxes?

Even two identical AirPort Express boxes? :eek:

My significant other hates how I keep my boxes for everything.

All my camera lenses, my iPod in-ear headphones....

He usually shuts up when I go to sell something on Ebay..

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
I could go an airport express ...

Last week I got paid and just impulsively bought a shuffle :eek: Made sure that this time I saved half which cut away impulse buys!

My iMac box was all dirty from the back of the courier truck, but it was so good inside.

However, not as good as my 3G box! And I agree, the iPod packaging now sucks balls, makes it 'unApple' and is definitely helping to mainstream the product, but doesn't make people think Apple is as cool. :(

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mad jew said:
While I'm on this admitting-I'm-a-thorough-geek roll, my iMac and iBook boxes are actually centre-pieces of my room. :eek:

They're just so pretty. :p

You've seen my setup, it's like an altar to the Mac gods. :D

I especially like the new black packaging for the pro-line stuff. ;)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
mad jew said:
While I'm on this admitting-I'm-a-thorough-geek roll, my iMac and iBook boxes are actually centre-pieces of my room.

I have some lights from IKEA backlighting my Tiger and iPod boxes. The PowerBook one is a bit too big to keep out in the open for my place. I can't imagine actually departing with something that was so painstakingly designed for the best user interaction possible. Upon opening up my first iPod (pre-owning a Mac), I saw the "Enjoy" sticker and it felt like someone hugged me :)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Jason_Bryan said:
I have just bought my parents a mac mini and my cousin was far more interested and wowed by the disign of the box that the computer came in than the computer. It made me think of my ex who was also a huge fan of the packaging of Apple computers, but hated the computers themselves.

Does anyone else know people who are delighted by the packaging of Apple products?

My wife has actually had to admit that the packaging that the PowerMac G5, the 12" PowerBook and the 4G iPod came in were all pretty cool (believe me, she's not the type to give a crap about packaging normally).

The only piece of Apple packaging that I've found somewhat disappointing was the 512MB iPod shuffle that she bought for herself a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I love opening up new Apple gear. It's as close as I get to a religious ceremony. They are all packaged so well. "The journey is the reward." :cool:

I didn't keep the box my iMac G4 came in, but I have all of the smaller ones: PowerBook, iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle, BT mouse, Airport Base Station, Airport Express. Plus boxes for my game consoles, camera, speakers, PDA's, and other misc. gear. I have a closet full of empty boxes. :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
powermac666 said:
I love opening up new Apple gear. It's as close as I get to a religious ceremony. They are all packaged so well. "The journey is the reward." :cool:

I didn't keep the box my iMac G4 came in, but I have all of the smaller ones: PowerBook, iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle, BT mouse, Airport Base Station, Airport Express. Plus boxes for my game consoles, camera, speakers, PDA's, and other misc. gear. I have a closet full of empty boxes. :rolleyes:

I threw away three boxes to make some more room in my office closet yesterday, a none of them were Apple boxes. :D

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Gotta keep the boxes, and you gotta sniff them. Bonus points for sniffing them 6 or more months after buying that product.

I collect old Macs, and I won't buy one off auction (or used) unless it comes with the original box, manuals, software and of course, stickers.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
5300cs said:
Gotta keep the boxes, and you gotta sniff them. Bonus points for sniffing them 6 or more months after buying that product.

I collect old Macs, and I won't buy one off auction (or used) unless it comes with the original box, manuals, software and of course, stickers.

I just recently sold my Power Mac G4 and packing it back up took me right back to the day I bought it home. Freaking weird I say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.