Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlusdavius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Having been excited to get ML on my 2010 MacBook Pro, I downloaded it and prompted to install. 30 seconds in it failed and told me that my hard drive was corrupt and needed to be fixed.

Now I'm having to wipe my hard drive as it will not anything. I'm now having to install Lion ( which says it will take 212 hours 38 minutes)

Total ********

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Did you try doing a disk repair?
It's more likely that the installation detected a corrupted disk rather than cause it

Mtbchris

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem, everything was fine on Lion, now ML tells me my disc is corrupt.
I can't run any repairs in disc utility, can't restore from backup, can't erase, I'm trapped in a ML install loop.

I've resorted to booking a genius desk appointment.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a Momentus XT drive? I'm curious if this is an issue, all of my friends have had no problems with the update running stock HD's.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm having the exact same problem, everything was fine on Lion, now ML tells me my disc is corrupt.
I can't run any repairs in disc utility, can't restore from backup, can't erase, I'm trapped in a ML install loop.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a Momentus XT drive? I'm curious if this is an issue, all of my friends have had no problems with the update running stock HD's.

Does holding cmd+R during booting not take you into Internet Recovery?

Mtbchris

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Does holding cmd+R during booting not take you into Internet Recovery?

I'm not connected at the moment (at work) but when I was at home it did take me there after the first failed install, but none of the options on disc utility or restore from backup worked.
Erase disc, gave me the response "can't eject this disc"
Restore from time machine gave me "Disc you are trying to access is locked"

It's all very weird, not very happy that I've knackered my laptop mid week as I can't get to the apple store until the weekend, my mistake though, I'll remember that for the next time.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm not connected at the moment (at work) but when I was at home it did take me there after the first failed install, but none of the options on disc utility or restore from backup worked.
Erase disc, gave me the response "can't eject this disc"
Restore from time machine gave me "Disc you are trying to access is locked"

It's all very weird, not very happy that I've knackered my laptop mid week as I can't get to the apple store until the weekend, my mistake though, I'll remember that for the next time.

For safety it's a good idea to create an exact clone of your startup disk and also create a USB installer of Mountain Lion. But I guess hindsight does not really help you now. :)

Mtbchris

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
For safety it's a good idea to create an exact clone of your startup disk and also create a USB installer of Mountain Lion. But I guess hindsight does not really help you now. :)

Hindsight is good for these things, perhaps a little too hasty with upgrades after the last few went well.

Thankfully I did not forget to backup just before I ran the installer.

Thanks.

abuloso

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012

Hey there,

Same thing happened to me.
I DO INDEED have a Seagate Momentus XT drive. Everything is as described above. Can't seem to do anything now. Sucks....

dcarlon

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Mountain Lion Corrupted my hard drive too!

Hi, I also had the same problem upgrading to ML. I would appreciate any insights on how to resolve the issue. This is where I am in the process. Upgraded to ML and it corrupted my Hitachi 750g disk. I ran Disk Warrior to repair it. Disk seems fine. (???) So, I purchased a new Segate 750g disk and restored the the system via Time Capsule. I ran a new Time Machine backup and a CCC just to be safe. I then tried another ML upgrade on the new disk. Same result.... I restored using CCC and all is well. I am going to wait for the next release of ML before I try the upgrade again. In the meantime, I ran a clean install of ML to the extra disk that I now have and it work just fine. Too much work to move all my files so I will wait it out.

itry2hide

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2001
I installed on a 500 Gb Momentus XT no probs whatsoever!

I have a momentus XT, and I've had nothing but problems since upgrading to 10.8. Can't run disk utilities, had to reformat the drive to install, all sorts of other issues.

Any idea of what is the oldest version of OS X i can boot a mid 2010 MB Pro 13" into? I can't get disk utility from Mountain Lion to run.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I have a momentus XT, and I've had nothing but problems since upgrading to 10.8. Can't run disk utilities, had to reformat the drive to install, all sorts of other issues.

Any idea of what is the oldest version of OS X i can boot a mid 2010 MB Pro 13" into? I can't get disk utility from Mountain Lion to run.

Sorry I am a bit late replying on this... have you tried to update the firmware for the Momentus XT at all?? There was one firmware version that was known for having issues with MBPs in general. I checked mine when I bought it, and mine had the newest Firmware installed, but it's worth a try.

I honestly have had NO issues whatsoever with this drive and in fact, I LOVE it!! It's blazing fast!!!

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
great i just installed a Seagate 750GB 7200rpm HD a few days ago.. Am i going to have issues? I'm really thinking of upgrading to ML from SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.