Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Verizon and AT&T, Sprint today became the last of the three major U.S. iPhone carriers to report results for the second quarter of 2012, revealing that it sold 1.5 million iPhones during the period. That matches the previous quarter's performance even as Verizon and AT&T experienced declines of roughly 15% quarter-over-quarter.

sprint_2q12_iphone_slide.jpg

In addition to its steady second quarter iPhone performance, Sprint can also look forward to momentum from iPhone sales through its prepaid Virgin Mobile USA brand, which launched the iPhone with just two days left in Sprint's fiscal quarter.

Article Link: Sprint Holds Steady with 1.5 Million iPhones Sold in 2Q 2012

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Sprint needs to get on their game. They've completely missed the boat on LTE and their data speeds are slow. The only good thing about sprint is their unlimited data plan, although that's rendered pointless by their data speeds.

Sprint needs to get on their game. They've completely missed the boat on LTE and their data speeds are slow. The only good thing about sprint is their unlimited data plan, although that's rendered pointless by their data speeds.

I think that's a bit unfair to sprint. They released the first 4G network with WIMAX. Sure it ended up becoming an outlier 4G network and LTE is beoming the standard. That was one of the risks of being such an early adopter. You can't blame Sprint for the iPhone not being capable of WIMAX.

Sprint will also be activating LTE later this year right around the same time as the LTE iPhone, so I think they are doing some things right. T Mobile on the other hand is sinking.... I'm sure all that at&t money is really coming in handy at the moment.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I think that's a bit unfair to sprint. They released the first 4G network with WIMAX. Sure it ended up becoming an outlier 4G network and LTE is beoming the standard. That was one of the risks of being such an early adopter. You can't blame Sprint for the iPhone not being capable of WIMAX.

Sprint will also be activating LTE later this year right around the same time as the LTE iPhone, so I think they are doing some things right. T Mobile on the other hand is sinking.... I'm sure all that at&t money is really coming in handy at the moment.

HSPA+ is WiMax, by AT&T's standard. and as far as im concerned sprint had its chance to go for lte when verizon first adopted it when different bands became available. in reality sprint cant make up for lost time in getting lte and they have only themselves to blame for that.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Those losses are due to Sprint shutting down Nextel and the whole problem with clear wire and the failed attempt with lightsquared and also building out their own LTE network so I think sprint is doing ok

I agree. It's way too early to be tolling the bell for Sprint. Getting rid of Nextel and Lightsquared will allow them to focus on LTE. Let's hope that a strong Sprint leads to lower prices for everyone.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Why the heck do AT&T and Verizon get their numbers posted on the Front Page, and Sprint gets tucked away in the iOS Blog?? This is isn't the first time, either. What's up with that??

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Their CEO believed this and bet the farm on it. If his decision fails, Sprint will likely be absorbed into one of the Big 2.

maybbbbeee that didnt really go well with t-mobile ;)

----------

Why the heck do AT&T and Verizon get their numbers posted on the Front Page, and Sprint gets tucked away in the iOS Blog?? This is isn't the first time, either. What's up with that??

i was thinking the same thing.. hmmmmmm

----------

i plan on switching to sprint if the 5 has LTE. Im so sick of this att throttled crap. I wish it was like Verizon at least and i would be throttled until the tower is less congested..

my only concern is sprint will change the truly unlimited policy. like ATT did on me.

idk sprints biggest market is their "truly unlmited" and that they arent going to change it for lte.. so maybe not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.