Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hibby417

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I did a quick search about this and didn't find anything, so I'm posting here to see if anyone else had this happen. I updated to Mountain Lion yesterday with the rest of the world (I love it!), and after waking my 2011 27" iMac from sleep this morning, 2 finger swipe for Notification Center, 3 finger swipe for Mission Control, and 4 finger pinching in and out for Launch Pad, etc wouldn't work. Swiping within Safari still worked (2 fingers to go back, pinch to zoom, etc), but nothing outside Safari would. Has anyone else experienced this with Mountain Lion yet? Any ideas on how I could fix this, or is this just a bug that Apple needs to address? Thanks!

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
This is a known issue that many of us are experiencing. The only solution right now it to do a reboot. Hopefully Apple will have a fix ASAP.

linuxdreamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I experienced the same issue with my MBP early 2011.
But a SMC + PRAM reset seems to have done the trick.
I am not sure if its an intermittent issue but for now, it seems to have made a difference.
Try the same at your end. But before that, reproduce it again. Then shutdown, reset SMC + PRAM, and try to reproduce it again to see if it works.
Works for me.

Regards,
-Karthick

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I experienced the same issue with my MBP early 2011.
But a SMC + PRAM reset seems to have done the trick.
I am not sure if its an intermittent issue but for now, it seems to have made a difference.
Try the same at your end. But before that, reproduce it again. Then shutdown, reset SMC + PRAM, and try to reproduce it again to see if it works.
Works for me.

Regards,
-Karthick

How do you reset the SMC and PRAM?

linuxdreamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
How do you reset the SMC and PRAM?

Huh. Heard of Google ? :)

If its a MBP with a battery you should not remove (like mine),
SMC reset:

Shutdown your machine. Plug in the adapter.
Hold Shift+Control+Option+Power button at the same time.
Then release them at once say after 3 seconds. (it should not start when you press the 4 keys for the SMC reset)

Then hit the Power button to start.

Once started and you hear the beep, hit Command+Option+P+R immediately for the pram reset.
Keep holding it till you hear the start beep for the second time. (it would be an internal second restart)
Then release it for the restart to continue.

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Huh. Heard of Google ? :)

If its a MBP with a battery you should not remove (like mine),
SMC reset:

Shutdown your machine. Plug in the adapter.
Hold Shift+Control+Option+Power button at the same time.
Then release them at once say after 3 seconds. (it should not start when you press the 4 keys for the SMC reset)

Then hit the Power button to start.

Once started and you hear the beep, hit Command+Option+P+R immediately for the pram reset.
Keep holding it till you hear the start beep for the second time. (it would be an internal second restart)
Then release it for the restart to continue.

The funny thing is right after I submitted it I did google it so I got the answer. Thanks for the info anyways. It did the trick and now I have the gestures back. I forgot how much I used the three finger upswipe for Mission Control until I couldn't do it.

mrmoejoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
I am having the same issue. I tired resetting both those things and it did not work, the only way to fix it is to log off

Last edited:

SwoopAEG

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
OK, so now the gestures don't work again... I've taken out Serviio and Google Drive from my login items now, and it works again. Will see how long though, this time...

ethanL

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I fixed this issue by requiring password after sleep or screen saver begins (which is located in System Prefs. > Security & Privacy under the "General" tab). This is way easier than rebooting or logging out and back in, and it will hold me until they patch this.

I've only been testing it for a day, but so far, I haven't had any issues with multi-touch gestures.

Ethan

Last edited:

Malakit

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
SMC or PRAM reset didn't work for me, so I'll guess I'll have to wait for an official fix.

However, you don't have to reboot if you get caught in it, just restart the dock. The easiest way is to to open a Terminal window, and run the command "killall Dock" (no quotes). You can of course kill the process using Activity Monitor, but the terminal is much quicker.

oktommyboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Seems to be a sleepy bug..

It seems to happen when the mac goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up some gestures. You can try turning off your screen saver and going to terminal:
killall -kill Dock

That will reboot it and it worked for me....

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
SMC or PRAM reset didn't work for me, so I'll guess I'll have to wait for an official fix.

However, you don't have to reboot if you get caught in it, just restart the dock. The easiest way is to to open a Terminal window, and run the command "killall Dock" (no quotes). You can of course kill the process using Activity Monitor, but the terminal is much quicker.

thanks, that worked for me.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
So far since 10.8.1 things have been OK for me. Early days though, and it's not going to sleep without help.

Dronac

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
I'm on my second MBPr (first one returned due to FedEx damage) and my first one never had this issue, but my current one does. I advanced gestures at least once per day. It seems Dock related as killing the process fixes it, but Safari gestures remain working at all times. This persists after the 8.1 update.

I wonder if there is a hardware issue? Perhaps a faulty trackpad sending a corrupt value, screwing with the Dock's current RAM values?

Aside from normal development apps and libraries (NetBeans, XCode, ext) I haven't installed any system mods.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I wonder if there is a hardware issue? Perhaps a faulty trackpad sending a corrupt value, screwing with the Dock's current RAM values?

Aside from normal development apps and libraries (NetBeans, XCode, ext) I haven't installed any system mods.

I got my iMac last year, not long after new ones came out and have never experienced this until ML.

----------

Maybe 10.8.2 will sort things. ML seems a lot more stable after the .1, I was getting about restart type crash a day since ML. Not crashed once after last upgrade.
Of course now it's going crash just after I post this....

MrRichDC

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Touch pad issue

Just ran latest update on 10.8.2, changed Trackpad preferences by turning on 3-finger drag and lost the ability to do the three finger swipe up/down to get to the Dashboard. I went back and unchecked the three finger drag setting, still can't get back the ability to do any desktop three finger swipes - not to dashboard, not to other apps running full screen. (control arrow options still work).

Tried rebooting, no luck. The issue is specific to any profile where I made this change; other profiles where I did not touch this setting work perfectly.

Seems like once selected, the Preferences | Trackpad | Three finger drag can't be turned off again, even after unchecking the box.

Anyone else experiencing this?

=========
Update: Realized after posting that when you turn on Three Finger Drag, the settings for both Swipe Between Full Screen Apps and Mission Control automatically change from three finger default to four-finger. However, if you then turn Three Finger Drag off, those last two stay set to the four-finger config, unless you go back and reset them to three finger. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.