Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hi everyone newb here.

I purchased an iBook G4 on ebay for my niece school work and it runs very well surprisingly ! It came with Tiger 10.4.11 installed and I purchased leopard for her and installed it because of a few programs she uses at school require leopard or higher. The install disk was 10.5 and it needed to be updated to 10.5.8 which is where the problem arises. Leopard runs very well however when I go to do the update and hit restart the screen goes blue as it should then says software update installing 1 item Configuring Instillation. The problem is it just sits and keeps saying that and won't advance any farther. It has been roughly 3 hours in that spot today this is the third try in three days. Do any of you know what could be causing this issue ?

Thanks in advance !

Pete

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
try reseting the pram hit restart at the chime hold down "command" p and r until you hear the chime 3 times, then try again and see what happens

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
It didn't do any thing noticeable anyway no 3 chimes. I hit the power button waited for chime then held command p and r.

Thanks
Pete

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
A there we go got it. I held down the command control p and r keys and it did the chiming. Now to see if it works !

Thanks
Pete

----------

What does resetting the pram do exactly for updates ? I don't believe I have ever run into that before !

Pete

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
on these old machines pram can cause a lot of software problems so before trying anything else its always best to see if the pram is to blame

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Well I just received a new battery about five minutes ago as that was the only problem with the laptop when I bought it. the other one was not working right. I will let you know how it goes thanks Lil chillbill.

Pete

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Well guys it looks like it is going to do the same thing again. It is just sitting there saying configuring instillation. Any other ideas ?

I think I jut figured it out ( maybe ) it looks like I need 10.5.5 in order to update to 10.5.8. trying that now..
Thanks
Pete

Pete1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks guys its working but I am having to do it one at a time 10.5 - 10.5.1 - 10.5.2 and so on. I did have to reset the pram on the new battery.

I hope that pizza is delicious ;)

Thanks again
Pete

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Hangs during the 10.5.8 update are quite common. The best thing you can do is only do the OS update by itself without any other updates being installed.

Even when it works it can still hang for a good 30-45 min on some systems.

I would guess that something else is getting in the way.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Actually when I got to the pizza place I helped the owner setup and network his new computer and he gave me the pizza and 2-liters of coke for FREE

jasper123

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
ibook g4 update hangs

I am new to Mac and have used bought an old iBook g4 with leopard os.10.
I have spent two days trying to upate to 10.5.8 and it hangs on installation after 10 mins or so.
I have tried all the commands to no avail. In the end I downloaded the update(from Apple) onto my Windows pc to a memory stick and downloaded it to the MAC and it installed straight away ! It was a 30 minutes job and now I can update Safari and other updates!
You should unclick the mac software option on the computer before installing .
I hope that might be of user to readers.
Possibly you could download the update direct to the computer, but byass the auto update.

jsgoulding

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
UK
I'm glad you found a solution. However did a Leopard install on a recent iBook that I got. I too thought that it was taking ages or 'hanging'. In actual fact we were just being impacient. Mine took 45mins to update to 10.5.8. I agree it feels like its hanging as the status bar and message above it remains the same, but it feels longer when you just stare at it and wait.

Tip that I learnt some time ago, for windows or Mac updates/fresh installs, start it running and do something else. Keep your mind off it and time will fly by!!

jasper123

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Leopard 10.5.8

I'm glad you found a solution. However did a Leopard install on a recent iBook that I got. I too thought that it was taking ages or 'hanging'. In actual fact we were just being impacient. Mine took 45mins to update to 10.5.8. I agree it feels like its hanging as the status bar and message above it remains the same, but it feels longer when you just stare at it and wait.

Tip that I learnt some time ago, for windows or Mac updates/fresh installs, start it running and do something else. Keep your mind off it and time will fly by!!

I had waited for over 3 hours for the installation to work . I got fed up !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.