Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farhan360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Is it possible to put an 8mp camera on both front camera and back of iPod Touch 4G? If not what is the maximum mp camera you can put on both?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Is it possible to put an 8mp camera on both front camera and back of iPod Touch 4G? If not what is the maximum mp camera you can put on both?

Yes. You can put an 8MP camera on both the FRONT and the BACK of the iPod touch 4g.

In fact, you can even put 36.3 cameras on both the front and back of the iPod touch.

Simply tape
NikonD800_35133306_01_610x458.jpg

to the back and front of you iPod.

A simple google search would have revealed that you CANNOT swap the cameras in your iPod for another camera. Ever.

tehpea

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
The electronics are incompatible, not to mention the 8MP camera from the iPhone 4S is too thick for an iPod touch (not sure about the one on the iPhone 4).

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
which parts of the electronics are incompatible? i know you can get the camera parts online, so i was thinking of this too.

obviously you would need to cut a bigger hole in the back, but i was (apparently incorrectly) assuming that the wire connection to the motherboard was the same.

@spyguy you must have big pockets.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
People seem to think that in a device as small and tight as the iPod Touch you can just swap out parts by unplugging and plugging in a new one. Boggles my mind.

How would you get IOS to recognize a new camera? How would you update the firmware in the iPod?

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
does that mean you don't know...? or you do know?

obviously the back would need to be cut open, the iphone4s camera is much larger than what is there. solder? sure, i can do that. but would it work?

firmware is a reasonable concern. I would like to hope that all of that is just in iOS, and maybe (maybe!!) it would just recognize the hardware. maybe a jailbreak would be needed...

it would be fun to play with, if it is possible. the camera in the current ipod touch is awful.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
does that mean you don't know...? or you do know?

obviously the back would need to be cut open, the iphone4s camera is much larger than what is there. solder? sure, i can do that. but would it work?

firmware is a reasonable concern. I would like to hope that all of that is just in iOS, and maybe (maybe!!) it would just recognize the hardware. maybe a jailbreak would be needed...

it would be fun to play with, if it is possible. the camera in the current ipod touch is awful.

No... Not maybe, not perhaps. NO. there is no way to put a different camera in the iPod touch. This question is asked like twice a month...

Also, btw, if you have to ask, you can't pull off this sort of hack.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I'm sure it's possible, but it would require a very high level of technical knowledge.

If a guy in Britain was able to rig his iPhone to charge wirlessly, you can rig it to have a better camera. But you had better know what you're doing, because there probaly isn't any sort of tutorial even remotely similar to what you're seeking.

It's possible, but you're on your own to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.