Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
dfine1966
macrumors regular

What is Best AntiVirus for Mountain Lion?

Before anyone says it is not needed. I do a lot of interactions with other people who have Window's computer. I really don't want to send files or emails to them and infect them. Plus, I do want piece of mind, especially that there are more virus attacks lately on the Mac then there ever has been. But that is another discussion.

Here is what I need from and A/V.

1. Very light, like it is not there. I don't want it to bog down Firefox, Chrome, the computer itself etc.
2. I use Outlook 2011 mail, so I need mail that comes in be able to be scanned for Virus right away.
3. I would like to be protected will I am surfing on the web and installing programs, etc.

Here are some of the choices. All of these seemed to be updated for Mountain Lion.

I purchased last year VirusBarrier X6, and I believe it has slowed down the Mac a good amount. Even though I already paid for it, I am looking at other options , paid or free.

1.ClamXav (free)
2. avast! Free Antivirus for Mac (free)
3 Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (free)
4. Intego VirusBarrier X6 (paid)
5. Kaspersky for Mac
6. Any other that I missed?

I am looking for some advice. I really don't want to install everyone of these until I find one that works.

Please let me know what you think?
dfine1966 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:21 PM   #2
C.G.B. Spender
Banned

Common sense. Mostly. Free edition.
C.G.B. Spender is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
revs
macrumors regular

I have ClamXAV set to scan my downloads folder. Its invisible and lightweight, i don't notice it.

Give it a go (as you say, its free!) and set it to monitor certain folders, and your mail.
revs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4
voidpresence
macrumors member

the best AV for Mac OS X...

the OS itself (UNIX) and good security practice by the human(s) who use it.
voidpresence is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
taedouni
macrumors 65816

Don't most companies like Yahoo or Gmail already scan for viruses (email attachments).
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
Before anyone says it is not needed. I do a lot of interactions with other people who have Window's computer. I really don't want to send files or emails to them and infect them. Plus, I do want piece of mind, especially that there are more virus attacks lately on the Mac then there ever has been.
There have been exactly zero virus attacks on Mac OS X. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system. ClamXav has a Sentry feature which, if enabled, will use significant system resources to constantly scan. Disable the Sentry feature. You don't need it. Also, when you first install ClamXav, as with many antivirus apps, it may perform an initial full system scan, which will consume resources. Once the initial scan is complete, periodic on-demand scans will have much lower demands on resources.

I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.
GGJstudios is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G.B. Spender View Post
Common sense. Mostly. Free edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidpresence View Post
the best AV for Mac OS X...

the OS itself (UNIX) and good security practice by the human(s) who use it.
Try and help the guy out buy making a suggestion from his shortlist.

ClamXAV would be recommendation.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
Don't most companies like Yahoo or Gmail already scan for viruses (email attachments).
This is true.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:41 PM   #8
C.G.B. Spender
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Try and help the guy out buy making a suggestion from his shortlist.

----------

This is true.
I did. If some rare malware then Apple will deal with it (OS has tools in place for that), on the other hand if you like to clean windows viruses and malware for your PC friends then maybe you could use some antivirus.
C.G.B. Spender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
I did. If some rare malware then Apple will deal with it (OS has tools in place for that), on the other hand if you like to clean windows viruses and malware for your PC friends then maybe you could use some antivirus.
Which is exactly what the OP said.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:54 PM   #10
C.G.B. Spender
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Which is exactly what the OP said.
My bad.
C.G.B. Spender is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:54 PM   #11
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
EDIT; I read you post ^, sorry

So help the OP by suggesting one of those, rather than no antivirus at all.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:46 PM   #12
wx4olf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post
I have ClamXAV set to scan my downloads folder. Its invisible and lightweight, i don't notice it.

Give it a go (as you say, its free!) and set it to monitor certain folders, and your mail.
Yep ClamXAV is the way to go. I do the same you describe.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:54 PM   #13
dfine1966
macrumors regular

So everyone is suggesting ClamXav. So this does everything I need, not interfering with Mountain Lion, good protection for email and web, files etc.
dfine1966 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
So everyone is suggesting ClamXav. So this does everything I need, not interfering with Mountain Lion, good protection for email and web, files etc.
Yes, if you want to run antivirus, it's the best choice. Also, be sure to read What about sending files to Windows users? from the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Panini
Banned

It looks like it's not you who needs the anti-virus but your friends.

I am pretty sure OS X already has antivirus built in. I don't mean the extra security benefits of using UNIX, I mean there's actually Apple-created software that focuses on anti-virus for OS X.
Panini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 PM   #16
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panini View Post
It looks like it's not you who needs the anti-virus but your friends.
Read the original post. That's exactly what the OP is asking about.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:49 AM   #17
tbn002
macrumors newbie

I've previously tried both ClamX and Sophos in the past but unfortunately both slowed down my machine, particularly when handing archive files (.rar, .zip, etc).
tbn002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:50 AM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbn002 View Post
I've previously tried both ClamX and Sophos in the past but unfortunately both slowed down my machine, particularly when handing archive files (.rar, .zip, etc).
Read my first post in this thread, where I talk about both of those apps.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:25 AM   #19
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

I would recommend Sophos or Kaspersky... they are top-shelf AV products that are updated frequently (and rapidly) by companies that have full time analysts monitoring new threats. Lots of companies depend on Sophos or Kaspersky every day. You won't find many organizations using ClamAV.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:26 AM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
I would recommend Sophos or Kaspersky.
Sophos is not recommended. See my first post.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:29 AM   #21
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Sophos is not recommended. See my first post.
Yeah, not by you.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:31 AM   #22
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
Yeah, not by you.
Not by many, especially those who understand that it can increase your Mac's vulnerability.
GGJstudios is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:35 AM   #23
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Sophos is recommended by the company that created it. nobody else.