Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 8, 2014, 07:01 AM   #1
iHavequestions
macrumors regular

Is there a way to tell if your charging cable is certified?

I've bought a bunch of charging cables over the past year. I never knew the importance of certified cables until recently. So now that I know, I wanted to toss the cables that are not certified. Is there a way to tell which ones are certified?
iHavequestions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:10 AM   #2
EDH667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHavequestions View Post
I've bought a bunch of charging cables over the past year. I never knew the importance of certified cables until recently. So now that I know, I wanted to toss the cables that are not certified. Is there a way to tell which ones are certified?
You should get a pop up message that states the accessory is not certified and may not work properly when you plug it into an IOS device. Also the Lightning connector will usually look differently than the Apple version.
EDH667 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:57 AM   #3
jr866gooner
macrumors 6502a

Your apple one will have a serial number engraved into it! Easiest way to know if real!
jr866gooner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:25 PM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601

Pretty much any lightning cable you bought for less than $10 is probably not certified. The cheapest verified cables I've seen at the amazon basics ones for $12. I think the monopruce ones are certified and about the same price.

All of the non certified lightning cables have very cheesy connectors. They just look cheap. I have a couple 3rd party certified cables and the connectors look sturdier than apples. That's probably the easiest way to check.
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
IpadSC400
macrumors 6502

I have a thrad on that no need to make a new one

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone