Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #26
nozebleed
macrumors 6502

man you guys are wasting money. with any insurance plan.
nozebleed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:20 PM   #27
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRetired View Post
I have Applecare + - bought it the same time as I bought my 4S.

Now here's a question for those who have used Applecare+: say you break your device after a year and a half and you pay the $50 for a new one. Does your Applecare+ still remain in effect for just 6 months, or, because the new phone comes with a 1 year warranty, does it extend for another year?

And here's one more: say you use up both replacements within the two year time frame. Can you add Applecare+ with the second replacement?
You probably will get a refurbished iphone, not new after 1 1/2 years of usage and no, the applecare + will only be in effect for the remaining 6 months. This question was brought up some time ago. If in doubt call Apple right now.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...lecareplus.pdf Apple warranty and applecare +

"When Coverage Begins and Ends.

Coverage begins when you purchase the Plan. Coverage ends twenty-four (24) months from the date of
retail purchase of your original iPhone (“Plan Term”). Your Plan Confirmation will be provided to you at
or about the time of purchase or sent to you automatically thereafter. The terms of this Plan, the original
sales receipt for your Plan and the Plan Confirmation are each part of your service contract. To obtain a
copy of your Plan Confirmation, follow the instructions and enter your iPhone's serial number at
You can find the price of the Plan on the original sales receipt.

The hardware service, accidental damage from handling coverage and technical support coverage which
the Plan provides is additional to the coverage which the manufacturer’s hardware warranty and
complimentary technical support provide."

----------
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8
I added coverage on my homeowners policy, just $20 bucks a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRetired View Post
For breakage only? Or for lost/stolen? Or for both?
My insurance company (USAA) said they would not insure a smartphone... Period

Last edited by SR45; Aug 21, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
SR45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #28
Want300
macrumors 65816

I bought AppleCare on my iPhone 3G... I dropped it two months later and got a new one at upgrade price (short version, I got lied to by a rep on the phone, so a manager took care of me at my local store)... My AppleCare plan... GONE.

Never again. I will pay the extra $50 if the worst should happen. I have had 6 iPhones (two 3G's obviously) and I only broke one of them.

Assuming AppleCare + existed from the beginning... I would have spent $650 on warranties. Instead, I spent $200 getting a new phone... ($270 if you want to get technical and count the money I wasted on my that AppleCare plan for my first 3G)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:51 PM   #29
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
Do NOT make this mistake. Be very clear: Applecare + does NOT cover lost or stolen phones. Take it from me. If you don't have some kind of equipment to turn in, you get exactly zero.
Ah, good to know.
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:56 PM   #30
davidra
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Which is kinda how it should be...otherwise you would have an insane amount of insurance fraud.
Somehow Verizon seems to get around that, since they do replace lost or stolen.
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #31
pblakk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I asked my insurance agent about this and he said they USED to have coverage for the iphone, then discontinued the extra rider policy. State Farm. Farmers also does not cover iphones, I asked another agent about this recently.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Who's your insurance company?
pblakk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #32
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
Somehow Verizon seems to get around that, since they do replace lost or stolen.
Probably because they charge so FN much!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:34 PM   #33
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
Welp, I finally got a straight answer from Verizon Wireless (VZW) regarding whether or not they sell AppleCare+. I had been told by a rep that they do, but I couldn't find it anywhere on their website. I finally was told by more than one rep that 100% certainly they do not. I was curious though about value, as many people have complained that AppleCare+ is too expensive and is a rip-off, so here's a comparison of AppleCare+ to VZW's extended service options. (which are all managed by the 3rd party insurer Asurion.)

AppleCare+
"Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues over the phone or at an Apple Retail Store. They’ll answer questions about iOS, Apple iPhone apps such as Mail, iMessage, and Calendar, and help you solve interconnectivity issues between your iPhone and Mac or PC. And if your iPhone needs service under the plan, Apple technical support representatives can even set up a repair during the same call."

How to get AppleCare+

- Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone. (via AppleStore.com or Apple Retail) - $99
- Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail or other retailer (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).

AppleCare+ TOTAL COST (for 24 months of coverage + 1 replacement = $150

VZW Extended Warranty Options
Option 1: Wireless Phone Protection
"Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval."

Other Devices (I.e. iPhones)
$8.18 per month per covered device.
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $365-$395

Option 2: Total Equipment Coverage
"Offers combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program and is now enhanced with Asurion’s Mobile Recovery on compatible devices. If your device or covered accessories are lost, stolen, damaged or experience a mechanical or electrical defect after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, you are protected."

"Mobile Recovery is an application included with Total Equipment Coverage, at no additional cost (data charges may apply for the download and use of Mobile Recovery). Mobile Recovery allows you to:
- Locate a lost device (location shown geographically on a map)
- Sound a phone alarm to find a lost device
- Remotely lock a device to secure your data
- Remotely wipe a device’s contacts to protect your privacy"

Other Devices (I.e. iPhones)
$9.99 per month per covered device
$169 non-refundable deductible (8GB, 16GB iPhone® 4 and 16GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
$199 non-refundable deductible (32GB iPhone® 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone® 4S) per approved claim
2 replacements in a 12-month period with an equipment maximum of $1500 per claim (in New York, 2 claims per policy year)

VZW Phone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months plus 1 replacement = $409-$439

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection
"Breakdowns, malfunctions, normal wear and tear—we have you covered. We even cover accidents like drops and spills with our advanced plan. Above and beyond a typical warranty, we take care of all the gritty details with no service fees and full parts and labor. Also includes 24/7 support, one-time battery replacement, one-time accessory replacement, normal wear and tear, pixel repair, and power surge repair."

BestBuy Geek Squad iPhone Protection TOTAL COST (for 24 months + multiple replacements) = $230

So that's it. Pretty easy to see where the (lack of) value is.

Enjoy!
Will

The only thing I can tell you is: DO NOT GO WITH THE GEEK SQUAD!
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:23 AM   #34
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomirrivera View Post
The only thing I can tell you is: DO NOT GO WITH THE GEEK SQUAD!
Do you mind explaining why because several people have recommended it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:49 PM   #35
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblakk View Post
I asked my insurance agent about this and he said they USED to have coverage for the iphone, then discontinued the extra rider policy. State Farm. Farmers also does not cover iphones, I asked another agent about this recently.

----------

Who's your insurance company?
My current homeowners is through American Fire and Casualty Company
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:34 AM   #36
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

I am not understanding. If I do not have AppleCare and I am out of warranty. Apple will sell me an iPhone for only 200$?? Not the full price? I must be reading these posts wrong.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:37 AM   #37
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post
I am not understanding. If I do not have AppleCare and I am out of warranty. Apple will sell me an iPhone for only 200$?? Not the full price? I must be reading these posts wrong.
You are reading right. If you can bring in "most" of a broken phone, they will give you an identical model refub for $199. I ran mine through the washing machine by accident. Got a "new" one for $199 the next morning.
randy98mtu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:50 AM   #38
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post
You are reading right. If you can bring in "most" of a broken phone, they will give you an identical model refub for $199. I ran mine through the washing machine by accident. Got a "new" one for $199 the next morning.
Wow, that's not half bad. Thanks for the response. I am trying to decide on apple care for the iPhone 5. I guess the benefit would be if something went wrong that second year you would still have warranty coverage.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:26 AM   #39
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Wow, that's not half bad. Thanks for the response. I am trying to decide on apple care for the iPhone 5. I guess the benefit would be if something went wrong that second year you would still have warranty coverage.
Yup, with (comparative) drawback being that it doesn't cover lost/stolen phones as some others do, but if you have some semblance of your phone left, you can almost always swap it out.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:45 AM   #40
Kelly682
macrumors regular

Okay, so I plan on buying the new iPhone. I was looking at getting applecare+, after reading this thread, seems like I'd actually be losing out on $50.

From the way I understand it, I pay $99 for applecare. Say my future iPhone breaks, and I would have to pay $150 for a replacement (refurbished). That would mean I've so far spent approximately $250. Then I heard that if someone doesn't have applecare and their iPhone breaks, it costs $200 for a replacement (refurbished).

Why would I get applecare if it ends up costing me more, with the same result??

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there something I'm missing?? Seems like its pointless to get applecare+ and just save up $200 incase my phone ever breaks. Easy enough...
Kelly682 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:18 PM   #41
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
they will sell you the same model refurb for $199. if you have a 4 now you won't get a 4S for $199.

they take the old one and scavenge parts for more refurbs. they are usually very lenient in their policies in the first few months of a new product launch because they need refurbs
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:27 PM   #42
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly682 View Post
Okay, so I plan on buying the new iPhone. I was looking at getting applecare+....

From the way I understand it, I pay $99 for applecare. Say my future iPhone breaks, and I would have to pay $150 for a replacement (refurbished). That would mean I've so far spent approximately $250. Then I heard that if someone doesn't have applecare and their iPhone breaks, it costs $200 for a replacement (refurbished)....
No, you're not reading it correctly. Perhaps my OP should be clearer.

AppleCare+ costs $99 for 2 years of phone & technical support. In addition to covering your phone for defects & problems for 2 years, AC+ covers you for incidents of accidental damage (up to 2 @ $50 a piece).

This means that if you buy AppleCare+ and drop your phone (completely destroying the front screen), you're out a total of $150 ($100 for AC+ & $50 for the "service fee"). If you do this a second time, you're out a grand total of $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

If you don't have AC+ and you accidentally drop your phone (and destroy the screen) you can take your phone into Apple & drop $200. If it happens again, you drop another $200 bringing your grand total to $400.

Comprendas, amiga?

Last edited by willmtaylor; Sep 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Altered the gender of my espanol.
willmtaylor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:54 PM   #43
Kelly682
macrumors regular

Quote:
No, you're not reading it correctly. Perhaps my OP should be clearer.

AppleCare+ costs $99 for 2 years of phone & technical support. In addition to covering your phone for defects & problems for 2 years, AC+ covers you for incidents of accidental damage (up to 2 @ $50 a piece).

This means that if you buy AppleCare+ and drop your phone (completely destroying the front screen), you're out a total of $150 ($100 for AC+ & $50 for the "service fee"). If you do this a second time, you're out a grand total of $200 ($99 + $50 + $50).

If you don't have AC+ and you accidentally drop your phone (and destroy the screen) you can take your phone into Apple & drop $200. If it happens again, you drop another $200 bringing your grand total to $400.

Comprendas, amiga?

Gotcha. Gracias.
Kelly682 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:19 PM   #44
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly682 View Post
Gotcha. Gracias.
Not a problem. Always happy to help out.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:01 PM   #45
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Now I just have to decide between this and best buy. 15 a month is 180 a year. With no deductibile.

So one replacement in a year would be 180$.

Does anyone know if you can walk in a best buy and walk out with a phone?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:38 PM   #46
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

With BB you can pay for the 24 in advance and is a little cheaper like $169.
LoloBond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:51 PM   #47
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Anyone know is BB covers lost/stolen phones?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:09 PM   #48
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloBond View Post
With BB you can pay for the 24 in advance and is a little cheaper like $169.
Good point. Thanks.

----------

Quote:
Anyone know is BB covers lost/stolen phones?
No they don't. I have the BB insurance on my i4
THE JUICEMAN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:01 PM   #49
lorenwade
macrumors 68000

May wanna update the SquareTrade to 4 replacements.

Not to mention the $35 coupon right now.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:05 PM   #50
willmtaylor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenwade View Post
May wanna update the SquareTrade to 4 replacements.

Not to mention the $35 coupon right now.
The coupon/code is reflected in the price of iPhone 5 coverage towards the end; the 4x replacements is mentioned twice.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone