Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:05 PM   #101
Jill1228
macrumors member

I am getting Apple Care +. As I understand, you have to head to an Apple Store to get it set up though? WTF? I live 145 miles away from the closest one
Jill1228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:14 PM   #102
dylanursula
macrumors 6502

Question for folks regarding AppleCare+ - isnt the deductible only for accidental damage claims with Applecare+? I thought if you take your phone in as it wont power on or such like it doesnt count towards your 2 replacements and thus no $50 charge? Can someone clarify?
dylanursula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:15 PM   #103
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanursula View Post
Question for folks regarding AppleCare+ - isnt the deductible only for accidental damage claims with Applecare+? I thought if you take your phone in as it wont power on or such like it doesnt count towards your 2 replacements and thus no $50 charge? Can someone clarify?
If the phone is defective there is no charge.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #104
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Don't they still tack on the $50 deductible?
Yes, ST does, but on my iPad 3 I was able get a zero deductible plan for $10 more. Not sure if that applies to the iPhone as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
You can't file a police report for a lost phone. There is no crime against losing something. I have people wanting to do it all the time. It's surprising how difficult of a concept that is for some folks to grasp.
The quote was "lost OR stolen." For lost you still need a sworn affidavit so it's insurance fraud which can still get you arrested.
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #105
Boiler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Can't wait to read your I dropped my new iPhone 5 opening the box thread
I'm pretty careful
First time it comes sept 21 I'll open it on my bed

Even when I walk or jog for exercise when I change a song or answer a text I step on the grass before I take my phone off to reduce the chance of dropping it on concrete

Little habits like that have kept the naked iPhones safe from '07-'12 *knock on wood

But if I break it I'll have to eat my words, true
Boiler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:26 PM   #106
ghsNick
macrumors 65816

I went with AppleCare +

Nothing like dealing directly with Apple.
The only way I'd get screwed is if I lose the phone...but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Btw, I looked all over SquareTrade's website and didn't see anything about replacing stolen/lost phones...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:36 PM   #107
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post

Btw, I looked all over SquareTrade's website and didn't see anything about replacing stolen/lost phones...
Same here
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:25 PM   #108
Opie
macrumors 6502a

I have to say I will be using Safeware again. They were great when my 4s broke. The company the use to fix was not very good so in the end after complaining to the agent they paid out my claim for $750. I highly recommend them.
Opie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:33 PM   #109
christyn
macrumors 6502a

Also going with AC+. Not much difference IME, other than 2 more incidents with ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
I am getting Apple Care +. As I understand, you have to head to an Apple Store to get it set up though? WTF? I live 145 miles away from the closest one
You can call Apple on friday and they have said they will add it on over the phone. Just make sure to call when you first get the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanursula View Post

Yes that is correct.
christyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:53 PM   #110
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslederer View Post
So, I am getting ready to take the iPhone plunge and get 4 for our family. Seems like maybe getting insurance is a waste of money. Here are my questions.

- If you get a replacement through AC+ are you getting a new or refurbished phone? What about through Square Trade? These seem like the only two reasonable options unless you need loss coverage....

With both AC+ & SQuareTrade, one is usually given refurbs. Haven't seen many complaints from people with Apple refurbs, but have seen several from people getting them from Squareatrade. I'd recommend getting SqureTrade. Then if there's an issue, take the phone into Apple, get it swapped, and then have SqureTrade reimburse you.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:39 PM   #111
omgitzv2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I added coverage on my homeowners policy, just $20 bucks a year.
What exactly do they cover? What insurance do you have?
omgitzv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:08 PM   #112
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
With both AC+ & SQuareTrade, one is usually given refurbs. Haven't seen many complaints from people with Apple refurbs, but have seen several from people getting them from Squareatrade. I'd recommend getting SqureTrade. Then if there's an issue, take the phone into Apple, get it swapped, and then have SqureTrade reimburse you.
The way I read it though, this will cost you an extra $50.
An in warranty replacement from Apple will cost $50.
An out of warranty replacement from Apple will cost whatever the going rate is.
Right now it's what? $200.
If you go through Square trade you'll have to pay Apple the $200 which will get reimbursed by Square trade but you'll still have to pay Square trade's deductible which is $50.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:58 AM   #113
Cpnyc88
macrumors member

Best buy plan takes 3 days to get a new phone and you have to leave your broken one there for them to ship out. They offer loaners for $150 and reimburse you when you bring it back. Im switching to apple care+
Cpnyc88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:51 AM   #114
maximumsportz
macrumors member

So if I get applecare+ and never use it and my 2 years is almost up can I just break my phone to get a new shiney one before 2 years is up??
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:55 AM   #115
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I added coverage on my homeowners policy, just $20 bucks a year.
Best option. Covers loss and theft.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:38 AM   #116
meganator
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumsportz View Post
So if I get applecare+ and never use it and my 2 years is almost up can I just break my phone to get a new shiney one before 2 years is up??
No need to break it even. Just bring it in, pay the $50, and have a "new" one.
meganator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:43 AM   #117
maximumsportz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganator View Post
You can really do that? Just walk in and say you just want a new one even if your phone is working 100% ?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:03 AM   #118
TahoeDust
macrumors regular

I had nothing but great experiences the two times I used them to replace my iPhone 4. They will be getting my business again. It was money well spent.
TahoeDust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:19 AM   #119
indianboynyc
macrumors regular

my phone ALWAYS break so i will be getting applecare+ but i will be buying it off amazon and saving me some $, thankkkkkkk you!
indianboynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:18 AM   #120
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitzv2 View Post
What exactly do they cover? What insurance do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Best option. Covers loss and theft.
Yess loss, theft and damage. $50 deductable. I have
American Fire and Casualty Company
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #121
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
The way I read it though, this will cost you an extra $50.
An in warranty replacement from Apple will cost $50.
An out of warranty replacement from Apple will cost whatever the going rate is.
Right now it's what? $200.
If you go through Square trade you'll have to pay Apple the $200 which will get reimbursed by Square trade but you'll still have to pay Square trade's deductible which is $50.
That is correct; except im not sure "extra $50" is the way to look at it. With both systems one has to pay for the service & then pay a fee for each claim.

that's the way insurance works. Evryone has to decide whether or not it's worth the risk/reward for his/herself.

----------

Quote:
Sure, if you're dishonest and want to all but commit insurance fraud.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganator View Post
Quote:
You can really do that? Just walk in and say you just want a new one even if your phone is working 100% ?
Uhm...I don't think this is correct. While each employee and each day are new beasts, I highly doubt that Apple will replace phones that have nothing wrong with them. Though I could be wrong.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 AM   #122
dannyboy888
macrumors newbie

I might be wrong about this, but the last time I checked AppleCare+ for an iPad, I saw that you can cancel it at any time and be refunded up to 90% assuming it is unused. I am assuming this still applies to the iPhone.

So to update the calculations, it would be $99 for 12 months with a possible refund of $90. Once you pass the 12 month period, it's prorated depending on how long you have used it. Which essentially makes it about $8 per month starting in Month 13.

For me, I dont think this is that bad of a deal. I'll probably just get AppleCare+, then hope I dont break my phone. Then cancel after 11 months then look into getting a new phone.

If you have an incident, it costs you $149 (applecare cost + incident fee). It's still cheaper than replacing a phone for $199.
At least this way, if you don't use it, it costs you less than $1 per month. I see this as the best of both worlds. Insurance for damage without having to pay that much for it.
dannyboy888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #123
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy888 View Post
I might be wrong about this, but the last time I checked AppleCare+ for an iPad, I saw that you can cancel it at any time and be refunded up to 90% assuming it is unused. I am assuming this still applies to the iPhone....
Per Apple's AC+ Terms & Conditions:

9. Cancellation
You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel either call Apple at the telephone number below, or send or fax written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714- 9125, U.S. (fax number 916-405-3973). A copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase must accompany your notice. Unless local law provides otherwise, if you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Plan’s purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan. If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Coverage Period from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan for fraud or material misrepresentation. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may also cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon thirty (30) days’ prior written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan for the unavailability of service parts, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan’s unexpired term.

As found here: http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...sh_NA_v5.4.pdf

Last edited by willmtaylor; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
willmtaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:05 PM   #124
pear21
macrumors regular

So if you buy the 32GB phone and don't get apple care + does the replacement phone cost $300?
pear21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:59 PM   #125
holyindian
macrumors 6502

Very good thread. Lots of important information in here.
I've been using square trade for last three years, two times for iphones, and one for ipad. Never had to use them.. none of my devices got damaged.

Anyways, its always good to have a backup plan such as AC+ or ST.
I understand the pros and the cons of AC+, the only thing i liked about square trade is, lost and stolen replacement for the phones. I believe people are more prone to loosing their phones than getting them damaged. However currently i am tilting towards AC+ this time... and might go with them.
holyindian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone