Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage29.png

Autodesk has issued a support document outlining which of its products do not work with the just-released OS X Mountain Lion:
The following products are currently NOT supported on the Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) operating system:

- AutoCAD 2013 for Mac
- AutoCAD 2012 for Mac
- AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac
- AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac

If any of these products are installed on Mountain Lion, undesirable side effects can occur, including issues with Installer re-start, resetting applications, cursor missing when printing to PDF, and more. Our engineers are working round the clock to support Mountain Lion for these products, however no support is currently available.

Until such time as a service pack is available, we highly recommend NOT installing Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on any machines where AutoCAD 2013 for Mac, AutoCAD 2012 for Mac, AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac, or AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac is required.
Autodesk also says that a Beta program adding support for Mountain Lion to AutoCAD 2012 and 2013 will be coming shortly, though doesn't include any specifics about a timeline.

As always, it is recommended that those using their computers in a professional, production environment should hold off on any upgrades to either software or operating systems until the makers of all the products they use confirm that everything works as it should.

Article Link: AutoCAD 2012 and 2013 Do Not Yet Work With Mountain Lion

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Somebody missed the deadline :)

Well, I can somehow understand that software as complex as this might have some hick-ups with a new OS. It also shows that early adopters are usually paying beta testers. Weren't there some people saying they wait until 10.X.1 whenever there is a new cat realeased from Apple Zoo? ;)

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
If only Apple had a Program that Developers could sign up for and test their apps against a new OS months before it shipped…

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
If only Apple had a Program that Developers could sign up for and test their apps against a new OS months before it shipped…
That is for testing Autocad 2014! Silly rabbit.

Heaven forbid Autodesk have to keep up with a yearly release of an OS. I mean it's enough work getting a 2012 AND a 2013 version out... Now they have to support a new OS? The oppression !!!

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009

Software companies aren't used to OS makers releasing products WHEN they are announced. That's like crazy talk in the Biz.

Last edited:

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
And I was just about to upgrade my computer. Now what do I do with my completed ML download?

Why AutoDesk isn't ready is baffling considering they were mentioned when working alongside Apple in delivering Retina support for the rMBP so thus something like an OS revision surely was on their raders long ago.

Unless they simply want everyone to upgrade to AutoCAD 2014...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Don't worry AutoDesk, I'm getting used to your products now working at all...

This. Its sad what software Autodesk has ruined.

I remember when Maya was awesome, now it still has bugs from versions as far back as 2010, virtually no new stuff is added, and it costs an arm and a leg...

...Then there are companies like Pixologic who charge a small amount for ZBrush, continuously give free updates to everyone (including the people who bought the program 12 years ago) and add a ton of new useful features each release.

*sigh*

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
And I was just about to upgrade my computer. Now what do I do with my completed ML download?

Why AutoDesk isn't ready is baffling considering they were mentioned when working alongside Apple in delivering Retina support for the rMBP so thus something like an OS revision surely was on their raders long ago.

Unless they simply want everyone to upgrade to AutoCAD 2014...

BINGO! It's total BS for a product that costs thousands of dollars to require upgrading every year! And it never runs properly!

darko256

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Yesterday I downloaded and installed ML over L on my 2011 iMac 27'' Qi7 16GB RAM 256GB SDD+2TB HDD. After that I opened suites: Office 2011 and Adobe CSWP 6 are running fine after an upgrade.
Finally I opened AutoCAD 2013 and it seems that it is running well, without upgrade. I succeeded in opening a DWG file from the Dark Side (BootCamp Win7Ult64bit partition on SDD). I save this file on the OSX partition without troubles, and tried some line/undo/zoom commands. Nothing crashed. However, it seems that AutoCAD is running noticeably slower than usual (on L).
I would like that Autodesk produces Revit and 3dsMaxDesign on Mac ASAP (in that case the Dark Side would be obsolete!), but I'm not so sure about that...

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
I would like that Autodesk produces Revit and 3dsMaxDesign on Mac ASAP (in that case the Dark Side would be obsolete!), but I'm not so sure about that...

Yup, that's all I'm waiting for also...then I'll be able to delete that Boot Camp partition that was only created for 3ds max and revit

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Any news on ArchiCad compatibility? Speficically ArchiCad 13.

I know it wont be 'officially' supported but that was also the case for Lion, but it still worked pretty well.

I think I'll test this tonight and see if it still works..

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Any news on ArchiCad compatibility? Speficically ArchiCad 13.

I know it wont be 'officially' supported but that was also the case for Lion, but it still worked pretty well.

I think I'll test this tonight and see if it still works..

I thought ArchiCAD was already made for Mac...

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Exactly what I thought, there is really no excuse for this with the amount of money that they charge for the software, they can afford the $99/year.

----------

Forget AutoCAD...bring on REVIT & 3DS MAX!!!:D

3DS Max isn't really needed here, but Revit would be great.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Autodesk usually is missing all deadlines

Somebody missed the deadline :)

Well, I can somehow understand that software as complex as this might have some hick-ups with a new OS. It also shows that early adopters are usually paying beta testers. Weren't there some people saying they wait until 10.X.1 whenever there is a new cat realeased from Apple Zoo? ;)

Autodesk usually makes just trouble when trying to migrate to OS-X. As being engineer, I looked at them for decades now: Back in times of Classic OS, their Windows to Mac conversion built was exhausting: No software that time needed so many extensions and folders and HD-memory as AutoCAD did. They totally failed that time. Today (I am working with Autodesk Inventor, I do not know any person in industrial business still working with AutoCAD), the same situation can be observed running Inventor on Windows. Autodesk Inventor a lame duck, always needs hardware available maybe tomorrow. For me it seems to be similiar to Developers @ Microsoft. Maybe Autodesk´s just a dead horse to ride on, non competitive with other professional software. AutoCAD is a 1900´s software. (Just my personal POV and... sorry I am not a native english speaker)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.