Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Should I wait for the MacBook Air early 2013, or buy one now.

I want the fastest, most powerful macbook air which is 2,278 (with the super drive), 2.0ghz i7, 512 flash storage, 8gb ram.
I dont want this for gaming, i want this for smoothness in safari, final cut pro, aperture, etc. but also capturing the portability.
So do you think if I buy the one now, how long will it take to be outdated, because a dual core 2.0 ghz is not a lot.

And also, when I configure the macbook air on the website, it shows no option for storage, only flash storage which I suppose is 2 different things. People say the max is 512 ssd but I can't find an option for a 512 ssd, only 512 flash. (or am i just stupid not understanding hardware).
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
For that price you could almost buy a MacBook Pro with Retina Display with a quad core CPU and a beefier GPU (which might come in handy with Aperture and FCP X), though with less storage space.

SSD is short for Solid State Disk, which is storage based on flash memory, thus it is just an SSD, just without being in an enclosure.

The 2013 models might get a 20 to 40 % speed bump, but it might take a year for them to arrive. If you can wait this long, wait. If not, buy now whatever you need, and if it doesn't suffice anymore, sell it and take a 200 USD loss (not bad for renting a Mac for one year).
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
FatGuy007
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
For that price you could almost buy a MacBook Pro with Retina Display with a quad core CPU and a beefier GPU (which might come in handy with Aperture and FCP X), though with less storage space.

SSD is short for Solid State Disk, which is storage based on flash memory, thus it is just an SSD, just without being in an enclosure.

The 2013 models might get a 20 to 40 % speed bump, but it might take a year for them to arrive. If you can wait this long, wait. If not, buy now whatever you need, and if it doesn't suffice anymore, sell it and take a 200 USD loss (not bad for renting a Mac for one year).
I know it would be better, but the size, portability, and I would wait at least a year to be a new generation of a mac (for apple to fix all graphic issues, etc).

I have macbook pro mid-2010 (the lowest specs you can get), and the spinning circle of doom is starting to annoy me more. I want speed and portability, and i might run light games.
I can sell my mbp for about 500$, and gather 2 paychecks. But I'll guess I'll wait for 2013 because you never know they might have extra room for quad-core.
And one more question, whats the strongest game that the macbook air can run (~30 fps)
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
asting
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
I know it would be better, but the size, portability, and I would wait at least a year to be a new generation of a mac (for apple to fix all graphic issues, etc).

I have macbook pro mid-2010 (the lowest specs you can get), and the spinning circle of doom is starting to annoy me more. I want speed and portability, and i might run light games.
I can sell my mbp for about 500$, and gather 2 paychecks. But I'll guess I'll wait for 2013 because you never know they might have extra room for quad-core.
And one more question, whats the strongest game that the macbook air can run (~30 fps)
There are few games it can't run at med-low settings with that framerate. It is very moderately powered, and honestly games now are not very demanding comparatively. The most popular games are console ports meaning they have to run on very old hardware, making the hd4000 seem very speedy in comparison.
There are no games I'd like to play on mine that I cannot (I haven't bothered with cyrsis or other stupid unoptimized games, but that's largely because I don't want to bootcamp and waste 5gb on top of that for the game).
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:41 AM   #5
LachlanH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The 2012 MBA's pretty much just came out and already people are asking if they should wait?

For gods sake, buy a 2012 model and enjoy it for a year.

I would put the 2013 Air's at BEST in March 2013. If you need a new laptop now, buy it.
LachlanH is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:22 AM   #6
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
So do you think if I buy the one now, how long will it take to be outdated, because a dual core 2.0 ghz is not a lot.

And also, when I configure the macbook air on the website, it shows no option for storage, only flash storage which I suppose is 2 different things. People say the max is 512 ssd but I can't find an option for a 512 ssd, only 512 flash. (or am i just stupid not understanding hardware).
You should wait until the 2014 MBAs are available.
kodeman53 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:36 AM   #7
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
You should wait until the 2014 MBAs are available.
Wrong! You need to wait for the 2015 MBAs, those are the good ones.
erpetao is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:13 AM   #8
spriter
macrumors 6502a
 
spriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpetao View Post
Wrong! You need to wait for the 2015 MBAs, those are the good ones.
Damn! I appear to have bought a bad one only last month! You're right, the things I've heard about the 2015 MBA - it's a must buy
__________________
www.chinawhat.net - your daily fix from the Middle Kingdom.

Note 4 Duos : 1+1: 5s : M7 Dual : X1: rMini
spriter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:16 AM   #9
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by spriter View Post
Damn! I appear to have bought a bad one only last month! You're right, the things I've heard about the 2015 MBA - it's a must buy
But..but..what about the 2016 version???
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac
Current iOS: iPad 4 cellular 64GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Retired: PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz| iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Glockron
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
My advice: Get the current MBA. It's fine - and there'll always be something better "in just a couple of months"

I've gotta say that getting the i7 2.0 / 8 GB / 512 GB SSD is a REALLY BAD IDEA

Apple's price for that flash memory is just ridiculous, and you can easily get by with 256 gigs. Perhaps even 128 if you use an external drive for big things, although I'm fitting everything on my 128 gigs.

If you absolutely need the 512 gigs and you're willing to blow all your money on a ridiculous upgrade, at least get the blade SSD from OWC for cheaper - at macsales.com

I'd suggest you go with the i5 / 128 / 8. Save yourself some money. It'll be pretty much half price, meaning you can upgrade twice as often.
Glockron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:49 AM   #11
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
But..but..what about the 2016 version???
Oh wait! My cousin who is an IT expert claims that the really really good ones will be the 2017 MBAs.

You should buy 5 years before getting the laptop, use an abacus for now instead.
erpetao is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpetao View Post
Oh wait! My cousin who is an IT expert claims that the really really good ones will be the 2017 MBAs.

You should buy 5 years before getting the laptop, use an abacus for now instead.
Does that abacus come with an apple logo? I feel a name coming on... ICount...
Aniseedvan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:43 AM   #13
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a
 
RightMACatU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpetao View Post
Oh wait! My cousin who is an IT expert claims that the really really good ones will be the 2017 MBAs.

You should buy 5 years before getting the laptop, use an abacus for now instead.
2017!?
Ok guys (and girls), stop farting around. We all know that the world will end on December 21st so buy it now and enjoy!

Note: This comment was pure sarcasm and fictional. Do no attempt this at home.
RightMACatU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Just get it now, if something is released in the spring that you just MUST have, sell your MBA and buy a new one? Can't spend your whole life waiting to buy ****.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:39 AM   #15
FatGuy007
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
I have no problem with waiting, but from your guys opinions I guess I should buy the MBA and save a little more money.
Thanks anyway, even the joking people aswell.
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #16
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago and Spooner (when it's not 20 below)
If you're waiting for the better version, you'll never get a computer, or smartphone or tablet or car, tv, etc. It's ridiculous to live life (personal or work) waiting for something better. I think it's a sad state of mind when you can't be happy with what you have or what's available today. Or maybe the real issue is that you don't really need a new computer and you're looking to put off buying something you know you don't need.

That I can appreciate. I did the same thing with my old MBP (2007) and held on to it beyond what I should have. But the '11 13" 128gb Air I'm working on now is just so kick-a$$ that I don't see any reason for upgrading anytime soon - thank god because I hate being tempted...
jmgregory1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:04 AM   #17
pandaguy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Who knows, if you wait they may release a Retina MBP in the 13 inch size. If you can wait (I personally could not because of school in August) then I would.
pandaguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaguy View Post
Who knows, if you wait they may release a Retina MBP in the 13 inch size. If you can wait (I personally could not because of school in August) then I would.
I just got my MBA, if the 13" rMBP is a must have ill just switch. Can't be bothered to live my life with waiting.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:23 PM   #19
RodPinto
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brazil
This is ridiculous!!!!

"Should i buy a new bmw series 3 now, or wait whenever the new new bmw series 3 is released?

You will never stay Up to date with technology!
RodPinto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #20
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Ill put it this way, i have a 2011 MBA that i could sell and lose minimal money on and upgrade to a 2012 MBA today but im happy with my 2011 MBA as it does what i need This is the most important thing!!! If the 2012 MBA can do what you need it to then buy it!
torana355 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:40 PM   #21
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodPinto View Post
This is ridiculous!!!!!
One of the great mysteries of the universe, why do people ask strangers on the Internet whether they should wait for an unannounced product with unknown technical specifications.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:46 PM   #22
RodPinto
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
One of the great mysteries of the universe, why do people ask strangers on the Internet whether they should wait for an unannounced product with unknown technical specifications.
Lol! Exactly! Specially when we're talking about a product newly released! Ridiculous!
RodPinto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Beau10
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Downtown San Diego
The chance of an update before Haswell is very slim, which means you'll wait at least until summer, perhaps fall, because this is Intel's schedule and Apple has largely been abiding by it in recent years.

My take is Haswell will have the GPU punch and power frugality to allow a rMBA. But early next year, not a chance.

My advice is to not blow your wad on a maxxed out machine... the resell is worse. And do what many people here do, just buy now, enjoy the computer for a year, and sell for a 20-30% loss and get the next one when it comes out.
__________________
11" MBA 2k12 | New iPad | iPhone 4

Last edited by Beau10; Jul 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Beau10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:02 PM   #24
cmvrgr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Even acer is using 1920x1080 resolution on their s7 11 & 13. This is the only part that is missing from macbook air and the only reason to wait for the 2013 model.
cmvrgr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:31 PM   #25
81Tiger04
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I'm thinking of buying my wife a MBA for Christmas, but my one reservation is when the new one will come out. Any updates?
81Tiger04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy now a Macbook Pro Retina 15 or wait for early 2014? gutma MacBook Pro 15 Jan 14, 2014 03:46 PM
2013 Macbook Air, MBP Retina or Wait? th3godf4th3r MacBook Air 31 Oct 22, 2013 05:49 PM
Macbook pro early 2011 VS macbook air 2013 CaptainCoconut MacBook Air 2 Sep 15, 2013 08:22 PM
Buy 2012/2013 rMBP or wait for late 2013/2014/2015? Liquinn MacBook Pro 16 Mar 12, 2013 09:48 PM
Should I buy the 2012 MacBook Air 11" or wait for 2013? AdrainSingapore MacBook Air 27 Nov 4, 2012 02:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC