Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I am testing out the new dictation stuff and works great for the most part. However it is annoying when I am in mid thought and it cuts out on me and I have to set it back up .... is there a way to get around this or does it have a hard time limit no matter what?

cnymike

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
I've just discovered this time limit as well. It seems to be the same limit that Dragon Dictation imposes on my iPhone app.

It really reduces the usefulness of dictation to almost a novelty.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Dictation is just in beta mode, and everything must be uploaded. My guess is they're imposing this limit to make things easier for the servers, and that once it's no longer a beta function - you won't even have to upload it but it will be typing as you speak. Making editing "a tad" easier.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Dictation is just in beta mode, and everything must be uploaded. My guess is they're imposing this limit to make things easier for the servers, and that once it's no longer a beta function - you won't even have to upload it but it will be typing as you speak. Making editing "a tad" easier.

now that would be nice to have. watching it type out the words while you speak would be amazing!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
now that would be nice to have. watching it type out the words while you speak would be amazing!

Yeah, and also it would make life easier than having spoken non stop for five minutes just to find a phrase in the middle of the text that you definitely did not say, and don't remember what you did say anymore :)

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Yeah, and also it would make life easier than having spoken non stop for five minutes just to find a phrase in the middle of the text that you definitely did not say, and don't remember what you did say anymore :)
You'll never get word-by-word dictation because both Siri/ML dictation (which I'm sure are the same thing) and Dragon use context.

For example, if you say 'There is a reason things work this way' it doesn't know initially whether the first word is there, their or they're - it waits to see what follows before it interprets the phrase.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
You'll never get word-by-word dictation because both Siri/ML dictation (which I'm sure are the same thing) and Dragon use context.

For example, if you say 'There is a reason things work this way' it doesn't know initially whether the first word is there, their or they're - it waits to see what follows before it interprets the phrase.

Yes, but it's still a lot closer to real time and more effective than saying a bunch of sentences, wait for it to upload and then go through the whole paragraph.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Dragon tends to interpret a sentence at a time, and I work the same way with Dictate.

I don't see it as a complete substitute yet, as it relies on a net connection and is subject to the vagaries of server loads, but having used it for a couple of days I remain impressed.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Dragon tends to interpret a sentence at a time, and I work the same way with Dictate.

I don't see it as a complete substitute yet, as it relies on a net connection and is subject to the vagaries of server loads, but having used it for a couple of days I remain impressed.

With Dragon, you don't have to stop, confirm, wait for upload, review, restart dictation. With Dragon, you talk and review at the same time.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
With Dragon, you don't have to stop, confirm, wait for upload, review, restart dictation. With Dragon, you talk and review at the same time.

In theory, but in practice Dragon still makes mistakes so it's easier to review one sentence at a time. I'm really not finding much difference between the two when sat in my office on a fast connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.