Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one?

• Total voters

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Not sure which one to do. I'm a 31 year old male and want to look when I go swimming. But that's not my main focus. There are pros and cons to both. My local Crossfit Gym is a 10 minute drive one way. It's $85 a month for me because I'm a student. I do like how Crossfit is 4 times a week instead of 6 days a week for P90X.

I'm hoping for some good feedback from anyone here that has tried either one or both. Which one did you choose and why? Or if anyone knows someone that has done either one that's okay too.

Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Try them both for two weeks for instance and then decide. We all have unique bodies so it's impossible to say which is better for you.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Do you have full range of motion in your joints, and have you ever done olympic weightlifting? Because if you haven't you're at a massive risk of injury if you try crossfit without coaching. If you've got enough of a fitness background, crossfit is the better choice.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Not sure which one to do. I'm a 31 year old male and want to look when I go swimming. But that's not my main focus. There are pros and cons to both. My local Crossfit Gym is a 10 minute drive one way. It's $85 a month for me because I'm a student. I do like how Crossfit is 4 times a week instead of 6 days a week for P90X.

I'm hoping for some good feedback from anyone here that has tried either one or both. Which one did you choose and why? Or if anyone knows someone that has done either one that's okay too.

Thanks.

For your own sake don't do crossfit. You only have one spine, and crossfit with almost surely destroy it. Maybe there are good crossfit places somewhere, but anyone I have seen doing it does so with frightening disregard for their joints and spine. It's a combination of random, abstract routines done with poor form at high speed, with weight that people shouldn't be handling yet. This is the perfect recipe for crippling injury. And on top of that, it's not cheap.

I don't know much about P90X but as you say it is 6 times a week, which is an awful lot to recover from in one day.

I'd recommend basic weight lifting and some cardio. It's probably not as cool, but I promise you will look better in a shorter timespan if done with a proper routine and diet.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I myself don't believe in the work outs that the only goal is to wear you out.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
For your own sake don't do crossfit. You only have one spine, and crossfit with almost surely destroy it. Maybe there are good crossfit places somewhere, but anyone I have seen doing it does so with frightening disregard for their joints and spine. It's a combination of random, abstract routines done with poor form at high speed, with weight that people shouldn't be handling yet. This is the perfect recipe for crippling injury. And on top of that, it's not cheap.

I don't know much about P90X but as you say it is 6 times a week, which is an awful lot to recover from in one day.

I'd recommend basic weight lifting and some cardio. It's probably not as cool, but I promise you will look better in a shorter timespan if done with a proper routine and diet.

I was looking over the P90X calendar and the 6th day is usually Stretch X or a day of rest. Sadly the house I live in not much room for any more fitness equipment. I just have 50 pound adjustable dumbbells and a pull up/dip station.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I've not done Crossfit, but I lost ~40-50lbs using P90X and have kept it off. The 6 days per week can be mentally grueling. My experience was that after a couple of weeks it became habit and I actually looked forward to working out.

So in short, I loved P90X. However, it isn't some magic bullet. The real key to my success was just being consistent. Whatever you pick, stick with it and you'll do great. Good luck!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I was looking over the P90X calendar and the 6th day is usually Stretch X or a day of rest. Sadly the house I live in not much room for any more fitness equipment. I just have 50 pound adjustable dumbbells and a pull up/dip station.

Maybe look at just joining a gym in your area with a good set of free weights and equipment. I have a bench, barbell, pull up bar, and dumbbells and that's more than enough.

So in short, I loved P90X. However, it isn't some magic bullet. The real key to my success was just being consistent. Whatever you pick, stick with it and you'll do great. Good luck!

This is exactly right. Exercise is nothing without consistency and a good diet. Getting into shape should not be something you do for summer, it should be a lifestyle change that you can maintain easily. I still eat junk food, I drink, everything I did before, only now my everyday meals are healthier (more protein, less fried stuff, less carbs) and I watch my portion sizes. It's something I've gotten used to fairly easily, and as a result I feel better in general and I look a lot healthier.

Sorry to rant, but my point is: change in a way that is maintainable, not something that will rip you apart and leave you for dead in a few weeks.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
If I had 85 a month laying around for crossfit I'd be all over it. I workout 7 days a week on my own and really enjoy doing it. I'd agree with doing whatever you can be consistent with. I find that the hardest part of P90X isn't the workout itself, its pushing play and then doing the whole workout. I like being at the gym and knowing there are eyes on me. It helps to push a little harder and do a few more reps or a few more pounds. Crossfit is going to be really hard and really fun. You'll push yourself harder than you can imagine and you'll see great results. Remember though, you can't outwork a bad diet. If you eat crap you'll feel like crap.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
If I had 85 a month laying around for crossfit I'd be all over it. I workout 7 days a week on my own and really enjoy doing it. I'd agree with doing whatever you can be consistent with. I find that the hardest part of P90X isn't the workout itself, its pushing play and then doing the whole workout. I like being at the gym and knowing there are eyes on me. It helps to push a little harder and do a few more reps or a few more pounds. Crossfit is going to be really hard and really fun. You'll push yourself harder than you can imagine and you'll see great results. Remember though, you can't outwork a bad diet. If you eat crap you'll feel like crap.

That's what I was thinking too. With Crossfit all eyes are on me and the rest of the people working out in my group. I have been to a free session so I know how it runs. With working out at home I have a gym/office setup. So it's very possible that I get on the Internet and go to this website or Reddit. Very easy to get distracted and put off another day.

And yes I am still having a hard time deciding.

A

AhmedFaisal

P90X is a lot easier on the back than Crossfit so I'd recommend that. That being said, I have a prior back injury and I worked with my physical therapist to modify some of the exercises to make them even more back friendly. I'd recommend P90X wholeheartedly.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
That's what I was thinking too. With Crossfit all eyes are on me and the rest of the people working out in my group. I have been to a free session so I know how it runs. With working out at home I have a gym/office setup. So it's very possible that I get on the Internet and go to this website or Reddit. Very easy to get distracted and put off another day.

And yes I am still having a hard time deciding.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I just think they both require different kinds of motivation. I'd take the free class and see what you think. If you can pay on a per class basis it might be cost effective to do a bit of both. You could do 2-3 crossfit classes per week and then complement with some p90x on other days (stretching, kenpo, plyo, and ab ripper are great). It's really personal preference. Like I said though, if I had the money, I'd be all over crossfit, but I love competing with people at the gym.

A

AhmedFaisal

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I just think they both require different kinds of motivation. I'd take the free class and see what you think. If you can pay on a per class basis it might be cost effective to do a bit of both. You could do 2-3 crossfit classes per week and then complement with some p90x on other days (stretching, kenpo, plyo, and ab ripper are great). It's really personal preference. Like I said though, if I had the money, I'd be all over crossfit, but I love competing with people at the gym.

The Abripper Exercise IMHO is one of the worst parts of P90X. The amount of pressure some of these exercises put on the lumbar spine are horrible. That was one of the programs my PT and I modified heavily.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
The Abripper Exercise IMHO is one of the worst parts of P90X. The amount of pressure some of these exercises put on the lumbar spine are horrible. That was one of the programs my PT and I modified heavily.

I can't really argue with you. We all have different bodies. I agree though, that consulting a pro is never a bad idea and if something hurts you're either doing it wrong or its not the exercise for you.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Honestly it really depends on your personal goals. I myself can't see paying a crossfit gym a ridiculous amount of money for the WOD(Workout of the day) when a real gym membership is substantially less, and the WOD is posted for free online. Skip them both, and sign up at 24 Hour Fitness, or Golds Gym, much more cost effective, and you get a better workout overall.

MattAtlanta

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Do you have full range of motion in your joints, and have you ever done olympic weightlifting? Because if you haven't you're at a massive risk of injury if you try crossfit without coaching. If you've got enough of a fitness background, crossfit is the better choice.

This is the truth.

I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and you would not believe the amount of people that come in because they are injured doing cross-fit.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I started P90X when I was 33 and I lost about 26 pounds in like, 9 weeks.

The only thing about it was is you HAVE to be committed. It's a complete lifestyle change (was for me anyways). I never ate right or anything before but had worked out occasionally throughout my years after highschool.

I started this program and actually puked after the very first workout, it was that intense on my body. Then came the calorie tracking and obssesive tracking of everything and trying to workout everyday.

Long story short, the wife and I had our second child and I simply lost focus and time so now I'm back to being a slob, lol.

Would like to get on a light workout regime and just eat better overall, there's not enough time to devote to these hardcore workouts if you have a full time job and kids and it takes a toll on your body.

I did look and feel the best I had in my life though in a very short amount of time. Again you have to Commit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.