Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Just a general thread to share some thoughts about Apple's new approach to design. Everything is straight edged and square opposed to all the teardrop sleek curved alien mockups we saw last year. What do you prefer?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Just a general thread to share some thoughts about Apple's new approach to design. Everything is straight edged and square opposed to all the teardrop sleek curved alien mockups we saw last year. What do you prefer?

I would absolutely prefer the tear drop. Or any kind of rounded design. The square is very uncomfortable to hold. The 3G/3GS body style felt amazing.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
So... just to be clear, we're comparing the rumored design of last year to the one of this yeah- even though nobody has actually seen or touched either, right?

I'll go with the square one. It's not that uncomfortable to hold and it doesn't rock or move when I set it down.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I'd prefer the straight edge square shaped iPhone 4/4S mainly because of the balanced weight as opposed to the tear drop shape, which would have more weight at the top and may be difficult to handle.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The squared off one is better. It's balanced and will lie flat. The teardrop design is ridiculous, it's made by people who don't understand anything about design.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This thing?

No bueno...

iphone-5-mockup-teardrop-ciccaresed-design-001.jpg

4/4S is much better looking

whiteiphone-110424-1.png

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
It would still lie on a table if it were teardrop. It's just the ends wouldn't touch the table. The weight of the phone would keep it from rocking.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
The "boxed" version is much better given that you are maximizing the internal volume edge to edge. If you let the edges taper, you can't put as many things inside, which means you have to make more compromises. That's why I think Apple has been leaving the tapered designs versus boxed designs to help differentiate the lower-end, entry items such as the iPod Touch and MBA from the iPhone and MBP. Granted it's not consistent across every product line since the iMac is somewhat tapered versus the boxy Mini and the iPad is slightly tapered as well (probably necessary given the size and manner of use), but this is a theme that might end up extending to those designs in the future too.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I've not seen this teardrop shaped iPhone, so I have no comment on that. But if it is anything like the bloated, bulbous shaped 3GS, I'll pass. I much prefer the flat shape & design of the iPhone 4.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I've not seen this teardrop shaped iPhone, so I have no comment on that. But if it is anything like the bloated, bulbous shaped 3GS, I'll pass. I much prefer the flat shape & design of the iPhone 4.

Here it is in all it's poorly thought-out glory:
iphone5mockup-110422.jpg

RyanF

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Prefer the square! Feels good in my hand. I love the 4/4S design, so basic and simple but glorious.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Square is simple. It's easier to engineer and make the internals on a square shape. Also easier to make it more compact. So it will be less expensive. I think thats the way Apple will go.

I couldn't see them using curved glass either.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't know where the "It's uncomfortable to hold" things come from. It's better than the 3GS, not that loose in hand and you can put it on a desk without fear that one bad move can make your iPhone fall on the floor. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I prefer the square design. It feels better when held in landscape and doesn't rock when you try and use it when it is lying on a table.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Prefer the square.

My opinion - While I wouldn't say no to a redesign, I really love the current design and would be 100% happy if all Apple did was elongate it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I suppose the 'tear drop supporters' think it works by unicorn magic inside because there sure ain't any room in there for any components. No room for a connector on the bottom, no room for speakers or any kind of headphone jack.

You all keep that dream alive though!

jobs-unicorn.jpg

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

Teardrop alien liked with that clean look though.

It can be done!

I also like that mockup that sort of looks like a magic mouse

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Square.

It is already an iconic design. has more space inside for the components and is unique. Almost every other smartphone out there has the rounded shape. And the teardrop, besides being phisically impossible to make. Looks ugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.