Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:19 AM   #1
talk2phil
macrumors newbie

ATV1_Hard disk issue

I noticed that my old 40GB Apple TV makes some strange noises... How can I replace the HDD and start a new life. How can I clone the HDD? Thanks for your tips.
talk2phil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:06 AM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Easy option (which can also be an upgrade) is to get on Ebay and buy a new TV1 hard drive (up to 320GB if you like). Sellers typically send install instructions and it's not overly complicated if you are good with a screwdriver. Personally, I found the hardest part to be removing the rubber boot on the bottom without tearing it (take your time).

If you would rather do it yourself (buy a blank drive and format it for TV1), I've had great success with this software: http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

Keep in mind that the TV1 uses a PATA- not SATA- drive. And I've heard of some people using this scenario as an opportunity to switch to a PATA SSD drive instead of another hard drive... and that working for them!

I've experienced those same symptoms before and assumed the hard drive was bad (too). However, after removing the hard drive, I reformatted it and it came back to life. I've even found that I could pull the drive, run that atvcloner on the same drive, put it back in and all can be well again. You might try this if you don't want to spend the money on a new drive.

After using atvcloner, it's like going back to factory new... meaning you'll need to set it up again and re-sync whatever you like stored on that internal drive.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:58 AM   #3
talk2phil
macrumors newbie

Thank you HobeSoundDarryl! I will try that...
talk2phil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater