Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Retina MacBook
Banned

One copy of Mountain Lion for hundreds of computers?

Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?
Retina MacBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina MacBook View Post
Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?
I found this.. I'm looking for it on Apple's site. (First post near bottom.)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19045263#19045263
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.
bogatyr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
fryrice
macrumors newbie

ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?
fryrice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.
If the OP is using it for his business I'm not sure upgrading all the Macs in his business to the latest OS is a wise idea.
adztaylor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina MacBook View Post
"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

The rules for the up-to-date program might be different than a normal Mountain Lion purchase from the MAS (even though the distribution method is the same). You might want to look to see if there was any fine print for the up-to-date program offering when you signed up for it online.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Porco
macrumors 68000

Pretty sure that copies obtained by the up-to-date programme are intended only for the qualifying mac, no others.

Just buy it from the MAS, it's cheap, then you are allowed to install that on as many computers as you like (if they're not for commercial use).

If you have 100 machines in a commercial environment you should be looking into Apple's volume licensing.

http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryrice View Post
ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?
Technically no, because you don't own that computer. Even if you had purchased ML, you would have permission to install it on the computers you own...not your friend's computers. They would need to purchase their own copy.

Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.

Either way, having a ML license doesn't legally give you permission to install it on other people's computers.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:25 PM   #9
hallux
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.
However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
spamdumpster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.
Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.
spamdumpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamdumpster View Post
Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.
In that case, I'd probably call Apple's customer service and see what they say. But that's me....I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to possibly unlicensed software. I can understand if others would just go ahead and install it on their other computers, though. I just wouldn't feel right about it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion