Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Retina MacBook
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
One copy of Mountain Lion for hundreds of computers?

Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?
Retina MacBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
mwhities
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina MacBook View Post
Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?
I found this.. I'm looking for it on Apple's site. (First post near bottom.)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19045263#19045263
__________________
Late '11 MBP 17" - Blue Nano 8G - Black 4S 16G/64G - Black iPad2 16G - Black iPad mini 16G - 2TB TC
mwhities is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.
bogatyr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
fryrice
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boston, MA
ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?
fryrice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
adztaylor
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Preston, UK
Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.
If the OP is using it for his business I'm not sure upgrading all the Macs in his business to the latest OS is a wise idea.
adztaylor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina MacBook View Post
Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?
"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

The rules for the up-to-date program might be different than a normal Mountain Lion purchase from the MAS (even though the distribution method is the same). You might want to look to see if there was any fine print for the up-to-date program offering when you signed up for it online.
__________________
Apple develops an improved programming language. Google copied Java. Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Porco
macrumors 68000
 
Porco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Pretty sure that copies obtained by the up-to-date programme are intended only for the qualifying mac, no others.

Just buy it from the MAS, it's cheap, then you are allowed to install that on as many computers as you like (if they're not for commercial use).

If you have 100 machines in a commercial environment you should be looking into Apple's volume licensing.

http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/
__________________
I really wish Apple would use the option key a little more, and the command key a little less.
*soundcloud/fdporco*
Porco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816
 
sweetbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Redford, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryrice View Post
ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?
Technically no, because you don't own that computer. Even if you had purchased ML, you would have permission to install it on the computers you own...not your friend's computers. They would need to purchase their own copy.

Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.

Either way, having a ML license doesn't legally give you permission to install it on other people's computers.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7, Crucial M4 SSD (Early 2011); 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008); Mac Pro 1,1 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon; 32GB iPad Mini; iPhone 4S 32GB; 6th gen iPod Nano
sweetbrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:25 PM   #9
hallux
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.
However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.
__________________
2012 15" MBP, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB Samsung EVO SSD, Hi-Res glossy
2012 Mac Mini 2.5, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (soon, need the install kit)
hallux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
spamdumpster
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.
Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.
spamdumpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816
 
sweetbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Redford, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamdumpster View Post
Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.
In that case, I'd probably call Apple's customer service and see what they say. But that's me....I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to possibly unlicensed software. I can understand if others would just go ahead and install it on their other computers, though. I just wouldn't feel right about it.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7, Crucial M4 SSD (Early 2011); 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008); Mac Pro 1,1 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon; 32GB iPad Mini; iPhone 4S 32GB; 6th gen iPod Nano
sweetbrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain Lion can't simultaneously copy one file to two locations? RealJethro OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Mar 26, 2014 07:23 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 in Mountain Lion LeandrodaFL Mac Applications and Mac App Store 14 Jan 26, 2014 02:50 PM
Install Mountain Lion on All Computers with one purchase? BerGaur Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jan 15, 2013 09:00 AM
Which copy of Mountain Lion? Fed OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Aug 28, 2012 07:38 AM
Can you install Mountain Lion on multiple computers? FooArk OS X 8 Aug 22, 2012 01:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC