Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wokun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I'm doing a clean install of Mountain Lion for one of my friends (We live in the Netherlands). He has a couple of Chinese friends and he uses QQ. On the Mountain Lion Features page on the Apple website, you can read about Mountain Lion getting Chinese features and services. But it seems that these features and services are not available if you're outside of China, or at least: I can't find them in either the system preferences or messages preferences. Does anyone here know a way to access QQ in Messages anyway? Thanks.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am still working on my wife`s Air, ML is now onboard and have lat of other updates DL now. Looking at Apple this may be the solution for Chinese web services;

Enabling Chinese Internet services in Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion has built-in support for popular Chinese web services. With Sharing, Chinese users can post to Sina Weibo, the popular microblogging service, and post video to video-sharing websites Youku and Tudou. Mountain Lion makes it easy to set up Mail with popular mail services QQ Mail, 126 and 163. Leading Chinese search provider Baidu is a built-in option in Safari 6.

When you select China as your system region, you will automatically be able to access these services. Other users can access these services through the steps below:

To access Chinese services

Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences… > Language & Text > Input Sources (tab) and check the input source with the following options: Chinese - Simplified and or Chinese - Traditional

After enabling a Chinese input method, go to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars pane of System Preferences. Scroll down to see mail services QQ Mail, 163, and 126; microblogging service Sina Weibo; and video-sharing services Youku and Tudou. Click on a service to sign in to it in Mountain Lion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT538

Jeff Chen

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
You have to download QQ from Mac App Store in order to use QQ. The QQ integration is just about the QQ Mail.

Tencent is working on a new version of QQ that will utilize the notification center. What you need to do is just waiting.

Queen6

macrumors G4
You have to download QQ from Mac App Store in order to use QQ. The QQ integration is just about the QQ Mail.

Tencent is working on a new version of QQ that will utilize the notification center. What you need to do is just waiting.

I am also in process of DL the App`s store version, although in the past it proved be pretty much useless, lacking many of the features of QQ. I will post back on how it works out :apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.