Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Hwilensky
macrumors member

Whats the point of Safari in the notification center?

Like the title says? What is the point of safari in the notification? What is the purpose for this?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
Hwilensky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
ConCat
Banned

It's so websites can notify you of things.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Hwilensky
macrumors member

How do you get it to work then??
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Arkanok
macrumors 6502a

It seems as if certain websites can ask if you want to use notifications when you access the webpage, for example, Gmail.

I had no idea this would happen, but I went to my Gmail account within Safari 6 and noticed a message at the top of the page that said "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail."

So it seems webpages such as google (and who knows who else) can send notifications through safari without the need of a native app.

Here's a screenshot of the message at the top of my gmail page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 10.50.36 AM.png
Views:	42
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	350197  
Arkanok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
ConCat
Banned

Well, there's no way to get it to work really. Either a website supports it or it doesn't. Gmail supports it. Not sure about any other website.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Arkanok
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've got the gmail one disabled anyway because I have gmail set up within the "Mail" app anyways, so I don't need the notification twice. But I'm sure as time goes on, other sites may allow for this functionality.
Arkanok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Hwilensky
macrumors member

Would be great if sites like espn and cnn would work? I just hooked up gmail. I will wait to see what the benefit of it is? I guess if gmail is linked up to it, then you do not need to leave your mail application open to receive mail.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanok View Post
It seems as if certain websites can ask if you want to use notifications when you access the webpage, for example, Gmail.

I had no idea this would happen, but I went to my Gmail account within Safari 6 and noticed a message at the top of the page that said "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail."

So it seems webpages such as google (and who knows who else) can send notifications through safari without the need of a native app.

Here's a screenshot of the message at the top of my gmail page.
Gmail notifications have been around for quite some time now. Do they directly integrate into Notification Center or do they still use Growl?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
danb77
macrumors 6502

If you want to see Safari notifications in action go to:

http://studio.html5rocks.com/#Time!

It is simple to code this into the websites. I don't know why more haven't activated yet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Gmail notifications have been around for quite some time now. Do they directly integrate into Notification Center or do they still use Growl?
Growl 2 (the next version) will integrate Growl notifications into NC. For a temporary solution you can use Hiss (Google for it).
danb77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
haravikk
macrumors 65816

Does the websites need to remain open or does this use server-sent events or similar? i.e - can notification centre still receive g-mail events if I close gmail.com?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Does the websites need to remain open or does this use server-sent events or similar? i.e - can notification centre still receive g-mail events if I close gmail.com?
The page needs to remain open, which seems to me really reduces the benefit of this feature.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:39 AM   #12
haravikk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
The page needs to remain open, which seems to me really reduces the benefit of this feature.
Yeah, it sounds like it'd still work best with an intermediary that can maintain a bunch of server event streams or similar in order to handle notifications.

I wonder then; would it work if you took a website with notifications support and used the open in dashboard tool to shove it on your dashboard as a widget instead?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
I wonder then; would it work if you took a website with notifications support and used the open in dashboard tool to shove it on your dashboard as a widget instead?
That is a good idea that might work.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion