Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwaltens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Quick question: I always worry about data limits. My library is in iCloud. What is the difference between playing a song and it getting "cached", and selecting the download button? Is there a difference?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Quick question: I always worry about data limits. My library is in iCloud. What is the difference between playing a song and it getting "cached", and selecting the download button? Is there a difference?

I believe (not 100%) that iOS 6 now streams music using iCloud. When you go to play the song it will stream it (using your data of course). If you download the song, you use data (if you choose to do so in the settings)to download it over 3G; but once it's downloaded, it is stored locally on the device. Once it's stored locally, you won't use any more data.

Honestly I have unlimited data and i'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to stream my music without having it locally stored...

touchu4g

macrumors member
May 19, 2012
I believe (not 100%) that iOS 6 now streams music using iCloud. When you go to play the song it will stream it (using your data of course). If you download the song, you use data (if you choose to do so in the settings)to download it over 3G; but once it's downloaded, it is stored locally on the device. Once it's stored locally, you won't use any more data.

Honestly I have unlimited data and i'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to stream my music without having it locally stored...

One thing is how is it streaming? When I play a song through iTunes Match on iOS 6 that I don't have on my iPod it plays normally. After the song is finished, and I go to settings and uncheck "Show all Music." When I go to the Music app, the song is there. Isn't it downloading instead of streaming? If it is streaming how is it since it downloads it for local use, that is the same thing as iOS 5 because it downloads while you play.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
One thing is how is it streaming? When I play a song through iTunes Match on iOS 6 that I don't have on my iPod it plays normally. After the song is finished, and I go to settings and uncheck "Show all Music." When I go to the Music app, the song is there. Isn't it downloading instead of streaming? If it is streaming how is it since it downloads it for local use, that is the same thing as iOS 5 because it downloads while you play.

I could have sworn I saw an article a week or two ago that said iOS 6 had "true" streaming, just like iTunes has with Match enabled on a PC or Mac. I am putting iOS 6 back on my phone tonight, so I will look into this... Anyone else care to chime in that is more familiar with iOS 6 and iTunes Match?

bwaltens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks everyone. I think I have gathered that, once you click to stream a song, it automatically downloads to the phone. You just can't see the cloud button anymore, which makes it confusing. However, after playing a random song, I put my phone in airplane mode and I could still play that. So, the songs do download to your phone when you "stream" them. The download button inside of playlists/albums is only for downloading before playing them.

I have unlimited data too, but I got the warning text from ATT a couple months ago! Plus, I'd like to have the highest possible quality audio, which is not always true when streaming.

touchu4g

macrumors member
May 19, 2012
iOS 6 is not streaming. Streaming is when it doesn't leave a cached file on your device. It's still the iOS 5 concept when you click it it plays while it downloads.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
This was what I read..

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/13/ios-6-gems-itunes-match-music-streaming-and-icloud-notification-sync/

touchu4g

macrumors member
May 19, 2012
That's a bummer.. It would be a much better service if it worked that way IMHO.

I wouldn't say a better service as I like to download music instead of streaming since you cannot find wireless internet anywhere as I have an iPod Touch.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
it does not stream, it streams and downloads at the same time. in iOS6, check your storage space, then play a bunch of songs in the cloud, nad then check again. Your storage space will be less. Even further, turn off itunes match and youll see the songs you "streamed" from the cloud will be there on your device after you turned it off.

iOS6 does NOT stream. That article awhile back was completely wrong.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
it does not stream, it streams and downloads at the same time. in iOS6, check your storage space, then play a bunch of songs in the cloud, nad then check again. Your storage space will be less. Even further, turn off itunes match and youll see the songs you "streamed" from the cloud will be there on your device after you turned it off.

Thanks for clearing this up!

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Exactly. Most other services only stream the file so unfortunately every time you want to play it again you have to use up your data plan to grab the song, it takes a bit longer, and if you don't have a good connection you are SOL.

In iOS6, it both streams and downloads so the music starts playing faster and it doesn't use up your data on subsequent plays. Plus you can delete the download at any time so you get the best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.