Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hilbert888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Austin, TX
hey i've been searching the threads and i can't find a straight answer to my question. so i decided to post. on a 12' ibook will i be able to put dvds onto the hard drive with the combodrive. for example could i put Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Big Lebowski and Swingers all on my hard drive to watch on trips and stuff w/out bring the dvds themselves or would i have to bring the actual dvds with me to be able to watch multiple moviesand about how much does a dvd take up on a hard drive???? thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
hilbert888 said:
hey i've been searching the threads and i can't find a straight answer to my question. so i decided to post. on a 12' ibook will i be able to put dvds onto the hard drive with the combodrive. for example could i put Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Big Lebowski and Swingers all on my hard drive to watch on trips and stuff w/out bring the dvds themselves or would i have to bring the actual dvds with me to be able to watch multiple moviesand about how much does a dvd take up on a hard drive???? thanks

You can, they take 4-6GB each if you don't compress them. You can rip and compress them to a reasonable, but not full level of quality, in probably 1.5 gigs each. Google Mac The Ripper and Handbrake. If you don't want to compress, you can also just open the DVD and drag the TS_Video or whatever it's called folder onto your hard drive -- you can open it from the file menu of DVD player.

And I'm answering b/c it sounds like you're not trying to pirate anything, but keep the discussion in that direction. You're on your own for circumventing copy protection.

hilbert888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Austin, TX
thanks

hey thanks alot i really appreciate it. yah i don't pirate anything. i just think it be cool if i could have my concert dvds and a few movies on my laptop for when i travel. i keep getting an impression that superdrive is the only thing that can deal with dvds. is there a really noticable quality drop in a full dvd file and a compressed dvd file?

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Holy crap! you have a 12 foot ibook? Sorry just couldn't resist :)

But like he said, Check out mac the ripper, that is what I use, and I highly recommend it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I haven't really played with compressed DVDs, because many of the compression programs cannot handle subtitles, aside from the closed-caption ones. So the nice ones on foreign movies are out. Which were what I was watching, predominantly, when last I used these programs. I've done this too -- don't get me wrong, I totally understand your rationale. I did this all the time when I was traveling for work with a computer and staying in hotels at night.

The Superdrive can *burn* DVDRs... which are just like CDRs except DVD-sized. The Combo drive can do anything you want involving reading DVDs. So with just a combo drive, you can load the DVD onto the computer and watch the copy on the computer (or play it straight) but you could not easily burn a backup copy, unless you compressed it down to CDR size and burned a VCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.