Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I know that there have been many variations on this theme, but I would be curious to know (should such data be available, which I'm sure it isn't) how many satisfied users of SL resisted OS Lion, and may very well do the same with Mountain Lion, and their reasons for doing so.

Speaking for myself, while I understand (somewhat) what was introduced with Lion, and with Mountain Lion, I remain curiously untempted. I'm not an expert, but my impression is that the last two initiations of OS X is an attempt to move away from OS X toward iOS, with the idea in mind to eventually merge the two, which, to me, suggests that there may come a day when :apple: will be in the iDevices domain exclusively, i.e., good-bye computers (especially desktops) completely (as we know them). I could well be wrong, and I hope I am, but I can't help thinking this. Disclaimer: my computing needs are but modest. Word processing (Pages, Ulysses), photo editing (iPhoto), a little video mucking about (iMovie), email, web surfing. Honestly that's about it, for the most part. And of course, many have needs more extensive/demanding than mine. Snow Leopard was and is my first experience with OS X (mid-2010 iMac, my first Mac), and I have been nothing but impressed. What I felt was being offered in Lion did not tempt me, and as I become more familiar with what Mountain Lion offers, I feel much the same. Airplay mirroring I would probably never use (even if I could, but I realize that my almost 2 year-old iMac is already obsolete in this regard), I don't do Twitter or FaceBook, I could care less about Notifications, etc. The only thing I worry about is that, eventually, my core apps will at some point no longer be supported for Snow Leopard, and I'll have to upgrade whether I wish to or not.

Of course, I'll probably upgrade computers in the next year or two, so the whole thing will be moot. In which case I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Am I just a neo-Luddite because I cling to SL?

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know that there have been many variations on this theme, but I would be curious to know (should such data be available, which I'm sure it isn't) how many satisfied users of SL resisted OS Lion, and may very well do the same with Mountain Lion, and their reasons for doing so.
I'm still on SL because neither Lion nor ML has anything I need or want that isn't already provided in SL, and both have things I don't want. I don't upgrade simply for the sake of upgrading.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

Nov 28, 2010
located
As GGJstudios mentioned, 10.7 and 10.8 don't offer anything I need, want maybe (iCloud and such), but as 10.7 destroyed Exposé and Spaces (especially Spaces) for me, I stick with 10.6, even though I upgraded to every new OS since 10.3 within a week or two, though using bootable backups in case something didn't work (mostly 10.5 had that problem).

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm still on SL because neither Lion nor ML has anything I need or want that isn't already provided in SL, and both have things I don't want. I don't upgrade simply for the sake of upgrading.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

Appreciate the tip. I've changed the title.

AlexHunter

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Pulled the trigger wednesday and upgraded Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. The $20 price tag for upgrading all my Macs from Snow Leopard, bypassing the $30 for Lion, was too much to resist.

I avoided Lion because I thought some of my Digidesign gear wouldn't work with it, but I've recently learned that they work fine with both 10.7 & 10.8, so why not? :D

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Love Snow Leopard even though it didn't have a lot of consumer facing features.

But now we're two OS removed and here are some features I wouldn't want to give up.

Auto Save - I don't like to have to worry about losing data
Full Screen mode - I use it every hour on on my Mac
Mac App Store - my default app purchasing area
Mail - so useful I really didn't need to buy Sparrow
Spotlight - improvements to quicklook are nice

Safari- already loving the new features
iCloud - finally working across most apps that need it
Airplay - My Apple TV is turning out to be my best 2012 purchase

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I'm still using Snow Leopard. I like it a lot. It works for me. I don't have to learn new tricks and ignore the new stuff that I don't need on Lion or Mountain Lion. My software behaves itself.

I don't have an iPhone so it's not like I'm desperate for all my communications and digital productivity to be a uniform experience.

When I get my next Mac (probably a Mac Mini), though I'm in no hurry, then I'll deal with all the new 'opportunities' that come with the bundled OS.

AlexQQQ

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
I also prefer snow leopard.

But have upgraded to mountain lion in order to get the security updates (I am not computer savvy, and was worried about apple not supporting snow leopard in the near future).

Hell0W0rld

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2010
I would stay with snow leo too, but the newest XCode comes only on Lion/Mountain Lion so now I am Dual Booting SL/ML because I have Rosseta Apps, I kinda hate it...

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I enjoy both Leopard and Snow Leopard. SL is just flawless for my use, smooth, polished, in a word: perfect. :) I really like it.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I am still on Snow Leopard. Lion and Mountain Lion do not offer me anything that would want to make me upgrade. Perhaps if I were an iOS user, I would most likely find being able to sync my app data between my computer and iOS device very attractive. I'm more invested in the Windows and Windows Phone ecosystem than I am Mac and iOS.

Plus, I really do not like some of the design choices they have made with Lion and Mountain Lion. The skeuomorphic design choices with their OS and apps has been turning me off from wanting to upgrade.

I would say that the only thing that's tempting me to upgrade to Mountain Lion would be the fact that I can't run the SkyDrive app on Snow Leopard.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Sticking with an old operating system and attendant hardware and software is fine, as long as you can hang with the risks. New system software isn't just about new features, it's also about security upgrades and bug fixes (yeah, and I know it introduces some. No software is perfect).

But it's like owning an old car: things begin to not work, parts are hard to find, it isn't very fast and it can refuse to start. Lovable, but often a PITA. I'd never use it as an all or nothing strategy for business; in that area being somewhere in the middle between bleeding edge and obsolescence is best.

Rob

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I am remaining with SL for all of the above reasons, but particularly Rosetta and the lack of consumer/social "stuff". I don't have/want any IOS products, and am paranoid about the privacy of my data, so no sending it into the ether, for me.

Besides Rosetta, the ability to flawlessly run Sheepshaver is paramount to me, and I am not prepared to risk losing that with some "upgrade" that does nothing for me.

As for the App Store - not on your nellie!

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thank you all. i don't feel so alone. I know that tech is driven by what is, to me, a sort of strange mentality. where we are is just a way-station. Wonder what Gutenberg would have made of that. I'm with SL until they burn me out, I think. When :apple: becomes Facebook, I'm buying a Windows machine. And post-Steve Apple can burn.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
It could be that Apple are going through a period of un-excitement with OS X. I felt that way about Microsoft during the Vista era and I thought Apple were a far more exciting tech company to follow. Now it's the other way round for me, I'm really pumped with what Microsoft have with Windows 8, the Xbox, and Windows Phone. Apple might get exiting for me with OS "11".

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I'm not moving beyond Snow Leopard myself for the foreseeable future. I cut and paste the remarks earlier on about how Lion / ML offers no new needed features, and ruins / removes ones that are.

My favorite OS is Tiger, still feel like that was the best experience I had with OSX - just that my machines that can run it, are a bit old. If I could drop Tiger onto a newer machine, I would in an attosecond.

Scary moments ahead - because I'm honestly not sure which direction I will move in, once my current machines need to be replaced. Maybe two years out Apple will embrace the light once again, a nice thought, if not entirely realistic.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Yeah I'm sticking with SL until I get to a stage where apps I use start becoming incompatible. I don't want to lose expose and spaces for mission control! :D

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I have been dual-booting Snow Leopard and Lion on my 2011 iMac but I upgraded the Lion partition to Mountain Lion last night for several reasons:

Security updates
Supposed to be more stabile than Lion although I didn't experience any problems before.
The options in the new file title bar.
Notes and reminders, I do use Notes a lot in iOS.
To keep up. :rolleyes:

That said, I use Snow Leopard partition most of the time because I use Adobe CS2 :)eek:). --And SL is so comfortable.

I used Lion for iBooks Author, and when I felt I needed a vacation from the project clutter in SL. I'm looking forward to investigating ML.

Oh, also, big reason for me: I didn't update things frequently on my previous iMac for a loooonnnggg time, I mean, if it wasn't broke, why fix it? But it just made things more difficult later on and I admit, I'm afraid of letting things get out of hand like that again.

Last edited:

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I appreciate you all taking the time to share your thoughts. I'll be very curious to see what happens in the next couple of years with :apple:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Same here, still on SL. I can remember when I'd counting the seconds until the next big MacOS release, yet now I'm 2 OS's behind.

I do have Lion installed on an external, as I need to run the latest Xcode. I wanted ML just for Airplay, but it doesn't work on my MBP which 2 years ago was top-of-the-range. So, I'll upgrade only when I need some app/device which won't work with Snow Leopard or Lion.

The low price of OSX is a bit of a red-herring, for me. The first thing I had to do after installing Lion on the external was buy an upgrade for Parallels, 50 euros. If I booted into Lion more, I'm sure there would be other costs.

So, Snow Leopard for me too, for the foreseeable future.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
We resisted Lion until the iCloud sync for contacts and appointments was enabled between the desktop and iOS devices. Previously it was too easy to one device or the other out of sync. With Lion I don't worry because I know in a few minutes everything is synced up.

So here I sit waiting to find the one "must have" feature of ML before I pull the trigger. It may be buried deep or released with the first patch. When, or if, it shows up, then we'll consider our options but not before. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.