Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
In my opinion Mountain Lion is the best since Leopard for 5 reasons:

1. New USABLE features like power-nap, airplay, GameCenter, dictation, and more.
2. Not a lot of bugs that affect my use. ( I just started getting into Macs when Leopard was a few weeks into release so initial bugs in Leopard i'm not familiar with).
3. The price at 19.99 is really great.
4. The new Safari is great and very quick.
5. Snow Leopard and Lion did not make as many leaps overall. Especially SL.

What do you think?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I've got to say Mountain Lion is humming along nicely for me.

Gimme a month of hammering on it and we'll see if it's up to Snow Leopard quality.

PS

Mountain Lion is significant in that it's Apple's first OS that was compiled entirely with LLVM rather than LLVM-GCC.

A significant milestone. It's the largest LLVM compile release to date (assumption)

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
some people are having some problems with power nap, has it been working for you like it's supposed to?

The few times that I've used it, it hasn't given me problems. The power nap bug, however, is one problem I overlooked.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'd say that snow leopard (at 10.6.8) was apple's finest moment...UNTIL mountain lion. sure there are bugs, but this is first release. am pretty happy..

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
If you think Lion wasn't a leap then I can't imagine ML being one, too. And I still think Snow Leopard is the best OS X.

Agreed I see no problem hanging on to Snow Leopard, nothing big wrong with it. Only thing that can be annoying I guess is new apps not being made for SL anymore...

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
IMO there is a lot of room for improvement in ML's implementation of AirPlay. But it does work extremely well, lag is almost unnoticeable.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I use none of the new features at all, ML uses more resources than Lion which in turn uses more resources than SL yet. For what?? All these features are bloatware or solutions to non existing problems

This is the worst release to date and it ain't worth $20 over Lion at all. Neither is Lion worth the $30 over SL. SL remains the best OS to date and Lion/ML are one of the worst releases. They just introduce bloat and gimmicks

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I use none of the new features at all, ML uses more resources than Lion which in turn uses more resources than SL yet. For what?? All these features are bloatware or solutions to non existing problems

This is the worst release to date and it ain't worth $20 over Lion at all. Neither is Lion worth the $30 over SL. SL remains the best OS to date and Lion/ML are one of the worst releases. They just introduce bloat and gimmicks

Have you actually used Mountain Lion? I don't think it uses more resources than Lion. It feels faster.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
In my opinion Mountain Lion is the best since Leopard for 5 reasons:

1. New USABLE features like power-nap, airplay, GameCenter, dictation, and more.
2. Not a lot of bugs that affect my use. ( I just started getting into Macs when Leopard was a few weeks into release so initial bugs in Leopard i'm not familiar with).
3. The price at 19.99 is really great.
4. The new Safari is great and very quick.
5. Snow Leopard and Lion did not make as many leaps overall. Especially SL.

What do you think?

I think no.5 is false. Lion is a big leap wheter anyone like it or not.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
I just upgraded from SL to ML, and I don't notice much of a difference. I don't know what I'm missing, but other than the new expose/spaces, all I see are very minor tweaks.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
I have had no issues with ML so far. It seems to be faster than Lion. So far, I love it. I would say it is comparable to Snow Leopard with more features.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Snow Leopard was good for me.
Lion was almost the same, slightly less. Mountain lion, on the other hand, is extremely fast and very very good. This message written by dictation (this is cool!)

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Mountain Lion is running perfectly on both my Macs. I have zero complaints thus far. None of my pro-music software was broken & both systems are running extremely well. I likes me some Mountain Lion :)

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I've got to say Mountain Lion is humming along nicely for me.

Gimme a month of hammering on it and we'll see if it's up to Snow Leopard quality.

PS

Mountain Lion is significant in that it's Apple's first OS that was compiled entirely with LLVM rather than LLVM-GCC.

A significant milestone. It's the largest LLVM compile release to date (assumption)

Why is that significant?

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I have had no issues with ML so far. It seems to be faster than Lion. So far, I love it. I would say it is comparable to Snow Leopard with more features.

It does seem faster. I was skeptical of upgrading on my Mid 2007 iMac because of speed issue but it is as fast as it was with SL

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Snow Leopard was good for me.
Lion was almost the same, slightly less. Mountain lion, on the other hand, is extremely fast and very very good. This message written by dictation (this is cool!)

Dictation is one of my favorite features.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Why is that significant?

Because GCC is 25 years old & LLVM is only 9. GCC has had considerably longer time to mature but Apple has been able to assist LLVM in rapid advancement. LLVM delivers modern features (better analysis and easier to port code for a couple) but it's a new compiler.

In order to "prove" it's worthiness a large application needs to be compiled with LLVM and it appears that Mountain Lion provides that litmus test. So far so good!

GCC is now deprecated. Time to move forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.