Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

CrystalView 7" Tablet with ANDROID 2.3 with Free US Shipping!

1342741021_phpNMgGSN.png

So this is how cheap it can be if you used leftover parts and below minimum specs.

Sounds plausible when an analyst suggested a Mini iPad for $200 and still be profitable, but I expect the Mini to start at $249.99

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
A friend of mine bought one of these for £65 shipped. He was playing with in school all day for about three days, never saw it again. Yet I'd still see him googling things on his android phone after that.

800*480 at 7" is ~120PPI, not great not awful either but the quality of the display was just bad, looked really washed out. Build quality wasn't that bad, looks like crap though. Somehow, even at the same res, GTA3 played much worse than on his HTC Desire. The upgrade to 4.0 defaulted to Chinese... You can see where this is going, you get what you pay for.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Most of the reviews of these are pretty much the same: Very slow, crashes a lot, severely limited in the type of apps that can be loaded onto it, poor quality touchscreens.

What worries me about them is they will turn people off who decided to fall into the trap of buying one of these, and then assume that the poor experience they had with it is indicative all tablets. The same folks who buy these things could very well be the same ones dumb enough to think Samsung tablets are iPads.

Yeah... they exist. Sadly.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
It's no nexus 7, god that thing is fast, too bad it's trapped Ina ****** 7inch screen. It would be nice if it were driving the new iPad instead of dual core 1ghz

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
This is the kind of poor quality products that hurt the Android brand. They seem to think more market penetration with lower cost equipment equates to customer loyalty and longevity. In the long run this tarnishes the Android name as normal consumers will start equating android to some good hardware but lots of low cost crap too.

I know I don't run a multi billion dollar company but the business model I would emulate would be Apple. Be different for your demographic, and uphold a strong brand image for long term customer satisfaction and loyalty. Any company can enter the tablet race, but few will actually lead and innovate the race itself.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
This is the exactly the reason I don't think Apple should compete with Android on price. They won't be able to compete on price alone.

Apple should focus on premium service like iTunes and iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.