Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hello guys,

Apologies if the topic has been mentioned already and if it's in the wrong section, but i have a slight problem which i couldn't solve. I am using a website called Tonido that allows you to share files and browse them through your browser. What i am trying to do is basically view media files in my web browser such as .mov .avi etc, but whenever i click on a video file, it doesn't run. I am using Mountain Lion on a Macbook Pro late 2011 and i have also tried it on a Macbook Air 2012 Lion Mac OS, but still nothing happens. It seems to work on Windows, but not on Mac. Any suggestions how i can get the quicktime web browser plug-in to work? I have tried Safari, GoogleChrome, Camino and FireFox, but no luck at all. I have tried VLC plug-in which apparently does not support newer versions of Mac OS X and also tried different plugs-ins, but nothing worked.

Many thanks,
Dean.

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Hello guys,

Apologies if the topic has been mentioned already and if it's in the wrong section, but i have a slight problem which i couldn't solve. I am using a website called Tonido that allows you to share files and browse them through your browser. What i am trying to do is basically view media files in my web browser such as .mov .avi etc, but whenever i click on a video file, it doesn't run. I am using Mountain Lion on a Macbook Pro late 2011 and i have also tried it on a Macbook Air 2012 Lion Mac OS, but still nothing happens. It seems to work on Windows, but not on Mac. Any suggestions how i can get the quicktime web browser plug-in to work? I have tried Safari, GoogleChrome, Camino and FireFox, but no luck at all. I have tried VLC plug-in which apparently does not support newer versions of Mac OS X and also tried different plugs-ins, but nothing worked.

Many thanks,
Dean.

MOV files should work fine in Safari, and play right in the browser. What happens when you follow this link? Sample MOV File

Also, OSX doesn't have native AVI support. You can either install Perian or download the files and play them in VLC or MplayerX.

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thank you for the reply. When i click the link, it starts downloading the file instead of directly playing it. :/

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I installed quicktime player + perian, but for some reason i do not see the extensions in the list in safari. i did delete the plug-ins from the Internet Plug-ins folder earlier when i was testing different methods, but not sure if that's the case.

Attachments

• ext.png
    ext.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 167

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I installed quicktime player + perian, but for some reason i do not see the extensions in the list in safari. i did delete the plug-ins from the Internet Plug-ins folder earlier when i was testing different methods, but not sure if that's the case.

You're looking at extensions, not plugins. They are different.

Deleting the plugins is probably what did it. I'm not sure how you'd restore them.

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
hehe, my bad. where can i check if i have them enabled or not in safari?

EDIT: I just check the preferences-security tab that enable plug-ins, java and javascript are checked and pop-ups is unchecked. doesn't really show which plug-ins are specifically enabled though.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If the plug-in is in /Library/Internet Plugins or ~/Library/Internet Plugins, then it is enabled.

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
any idea from where i can download the plug-in again? I installed quicktime, but it doesn't bring the plug-in back.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
hehe, my bad. where can i check if i have them enabled or not in safari? EDIT: I just check the preferences-security tab that enable plug-ins, java and javascript are checked and pop-ups is unchecked. doesn't really show which plug-ins are specifically enabled though.
Go to the help menu. It shows which plugins you can use. Java (not JavaScript) is a security risk, so disable it as soon as possible.

----------

How did you install QuickTime?
Probably via:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

DeanS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thank you for all the replies. I asked someone to send me the plugin file from their folder and it seems that now i can view the file linked in the earlier posts.

Much appreciated,
Dean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.