Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

player1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Well the title says it all.

My idea is: Thunderbolt externally my old HDD and boot from it with target disk mode. Here's the first question: shall I first boot normally to initialize the OSX on the new MBPR or it doesn't matter since I am going to overwrite the whole SSD later?

So yeah, let's say i booted using thunderbolt on with my externalized old HDD. Can I use Carbon copy cloner to copy everything exactly to the MBP-retina's SSD?

Are there any risks in this procedure?

Is it possible even?

Any better and/or tested strategy to do the same thing?

There must be a better way to transfer not only your user files and apps (see migration assistant), but also all drivers, system mods, 3rd-party system preference panes, etc.

player1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
because i have a bunch of drivers and system mods in my library, VSTis, that I am not sure if they are going to transfer.

player1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Replying to my own question, after 2 years of experience, the best and safest way to do this is by using dd unix command in terminal from the externalized old disk, when you booted from that one. This will do a byte-by-byte copy of any/all partitions you want to the brand new internal SSD of the MBPR.

SuperDuper, and CCC they just copy files (and I am not sure they copy all of them). They don't maintain partition bootsectors and other technical stuff.

This site proved very useful for the single-line of terminal command I needed to do this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning

And for those who have a bootcamp partition:
With dd I even managed to exact-copy my bootcamp partition (1GB - only for booting my external windows drive). That was impossible otherwise, because Windows could not boot from a newly-made bootcamp partition - it required the one that was used for running its setup on the first time. So now even when I reformat my SSD, I have a dd-backup of that partition on another drive (USB stick even!), that can i always transfer back and enable booting to my external windows drive. NOTE: windows 8.1 were installed with normal BIOS-mode, not UEFI (UEFI install was not working for some reason).

I know it's kind of late, but if this helped anyone, be awesome and leave your feedback/experience comment below!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.