Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Modding ML...

for those who do this sort of thing, and know enough to be cautious:

http://www.loginox.branox.com - to change the login screen

http://macupdate.com/app/mac/44252/ncbackgrounder - change the notification center background

http://www.maxthemes.com - black menubar (read first, you'll need a white clock, etc)

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/44248/mountain-tweaks - kill the leather in calendar, and a bunch of other good stuff

http://gpopper.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d46hook - a much better-looking iTunes

read instructions! and backup the originals of anything first (if need be). but all these things are working well on my macbook pro.
any other stuff, post here! and if anyone knows how to hack the dock...(i used to remove the scurve files, and had a transparent dock)...

----------

Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
z06gal
macrumors 6502

Thank you for this. I love the dark panel
z06gal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
Thank you for this. I love the dark panel
i just chose a black background; it looks good (or can look really bad LOL) with more involved images).

am not into the linen...

now am just waiting for candybar...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
z06gal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
i just chose a black background; it looks good (or can look really bad LOL) with more involved images).

am not into the linen...
Me either fisherking
z06gal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
fisherking
macrumors 68020

mirage - gives you a completely clear dock (altho removing the scurve files in lion gave u a clear dock WITH reflections...which i miss...)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Tander
macrumors 6502a

I had the dark top menu bar in Lion - however, when ever I switched from an App to another or to a different screen, it would flicker white first.

Does it still do this?
Tander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
Me either fisherking
Me neither.
Good lord man.

-------
Is the iTunes skin just for the Mini player?
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #8
fisherking
macrumors 68020

tander, have never seen a flicker (not in lion, not now), so...not sure what you were experiencing.

feed me: the itunes skin works in the full window, looks great. looks amazing in the mini window...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:10 PM   #9
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
tander, have never seen a flicker (not in lion, not now), so...not sure what you were experiencing.

feed me: the itunes skin works in the full window, looks great. looks amazing in the mini window...
I had the flickering but it was with an app called MenuBarFilter (it has a panda bear as an icon). Was a great little app that worked perfectly for tweaking the menubar, no worry about any menubar icons not being white, did all the work. As an ADC member, I used it with 10.8 DP's and it always caused flickering with certain app's so I stopped using it.

As for the dock, I always modded it by replacing the scurve*png's with glossy black images. It allowed me to determine the open app's much quicker. I never understood why Apple engineers chose to use light colored orb indicators on a silver dock. Now that the dock.app has been modded, I don't know what files need to be replaced. Interesting to note that the file names mirror iOS file names (ex @2x.png, etc). The dock seems to consist of many smaller images, making it more arduous to modify.

A MacRumors member was able to get a black 10.8 dock. However, it negated the ability to uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control", and having an "All Windows" "Exposé" option in 10.8 was too important to live without.

I wrote "Panic", the makers of "CandyBar", about a 10.8 update. Their response was less than enthusiastic.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post

As for the dock, I always modded it by replacing the scurve*png's with glossy black images. It allowed me to determine the open app's much quicker. I never understood why Apple engineers chose to use light colored orb indicators on a silver dock. Now that the dock.app has been modded, I don't know what files need to be replaced. Interesting to note that the file names mirror iOS file names (ex @2x.png, etc). The dock seems to consist of many smaller images, making it more arduous to modify.

A MacRumors member was able to get a black 10.8 dock. However, it negated the ability to uncheck "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control", and having an "All Windows" "Exposé" option in 10.8 was too important to live without.
candybar now works with 10.8, although the only dock option is the 2D; i used mirage to make an 'invisible' dock (not as cool as what i used to do, also removing the scurve files...a clear, reflective dock). but for now...

Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:41 PM   #11
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
candybar now works with 10.8, although the only dock option is the 2D; i used mirage to make an 'invisible' dock (not as cool as what i used to do, also removing the scurve files...a clear, reflective dock). but for now...

Wow! You're right, an update for CandyBar was just released. Based on their reply I thought they were dropping support. Definitely beats changing all the files manually and/or changing the systemversion plist to 10.7. Thanks!
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12
z06gal
macrumors 6502

@Feed me, Are you the grammar police? Oh, by the way, I'm not a "man." Sheesh
z06gal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #13
unsanity77
macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495519
unsanity77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion