Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Any chance apple will reduce the price their line up by $50 each to compete with andriod? I know the new iPhone will still sell millions but my thinking is people who do have a lot of music, movies and photos might look to andriod because of this, also people would also buy more storage just for bragging rights. but I'd really like a 64gb for $300. I've read 128 is still too pricy and for me personally don't have that much music and movies to get anywheres close to 128gb. I think this would be a win win for both apple and consumers. if apple made their new phone at $150 instead of the normal flagship phone price of companies $200, I'm willing to bet that a lot more people would upgrade or switch over and maybe their profits could equal out (to the estimates of selling the base at 200) but apple would have more market share.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
While it certainly is a possibility, I personally don't think Apple will increase the storage capacities of the iPhones. My bet is that they stick with 16/32/64gb tiers. After all, how else are they supposed to boast the benefits of iCloud if you have 128gb of storage locally?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised to see a storage increase. The base model hasn't increased since the 3GS. However, considering the fact that I have somehow figured out how to make do with a 16GB model, it wouldn't surprise me the other way as well.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
While it certainly is a possibility, I personally don't think Apple will increase the storage capacities of the iPhones. My bet is that they stick with 16/32/64gb tiers. After all, how else are they supposed to boast the benefits of iCloud if you have 128gb of storage locally?

iCloud isn't meant to replace local storage. It's a backup of your current information so if they expanded the memory tiers it would be beneficial to iCloud.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Half the people who buy iPhones buy them because they are expensive.

As for storage, I don't expect a bump this year as we just got one last year. They will never use removable options. iCloud is cool but it's more of a work around that lets you redownload things if you had to delete them for space issues.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Lol.
Do you think apple makes billions in profit by dropping the price of their devices? Silly thing to think.

Not all the time but apple were the ones who made the $199 almost standard for high end phones. Prices are falling all the time for flash storage. I read 16gb flash from where apple gets theirs from is only $19 I know making the new iPhone with larger screen and internals are going to cost $$ for parts and r&d but andriod is rolling out their phones such as the Samsung galaxy 3 with 32 for 250 and I'm expecting more phones to follow.

----------

Half the people who buy iPhones buy them because they are expensive.

As for storage, I don't expect a bump this year as we just got one last year. They will never use removable options. iCloud is cool but it's more of a work around that lets you redownload things if you had to delete them for space issues.

That had not crossed my mind but you are absolutely right that a lot of people buy for the status.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I was wondering about that as well. If they stick with 16/$199 as the base, it'll be the 4th generation in a row like that. You would think after 4 years flash memory has gotten better on pricing.. Or maybe they still like to do it to upsell people on higher capacities.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
I was wondering about that as well. If they stick with 16/$199 as the base, it'll be the 4th generation in a row like that. You would think after 4 years flash memory has gotten better on pricing.. Or maybe they still like to do it to upsell people on higher capacities.

I agree, I really wish the cheapest model would bump up to 32gb but I don't think it will. It has been 16 for a while now and apps are getting too big with the better phones and I thought flash would be a lot cheaper 4 years down the road

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I agree, I really wish the cheapest model would bump up to 32gb but I don't think it will. It has been 16 for a while now and apps are getting too big with the better phones and I thought flash would be a lot cheaper 4 years down the road

Yup. I've never really worried much about storage myself, but with the 4S I went with the 32GB model as my previous 16GB models got tight with space. 8 months later, I got a message on my iPhone about memory nearly being full. Didn't realize I was so close, with the camera and shooting like crazy the camera roll had reached 22GB alone hah.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Not all the time but apple were the ones who made the $199 almost standard for high end phones.

The $199 price was set by the carriers and does not reflect the real cost of the device - this price is with a 2 year contract where you pay off the difference between the real cost and the $199.

The real price of the iPhone is around $700. Apple still sells 3GS for lower prices. Can't see Apple lowering prices.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The $199 price was set by the carriers and does not reflect the real cost of the device - this price is with a 2 year contract where you pay off the difference between the real cost and the $199.

The real price of the iPhone is around $700. Apple still sells 3GS for lower prices. Can't see Apple lowering prices.

Though the carriers really control a lot of the handset pricing/subsidies, I would think the original $199 was driven largely by Apple, along with the $99 iPhone 4 and $0 3GS (all subsidized of course). They'll probably stick to that line of pricing I would think..

Otherwise the 4S itself is $650/750/850 depending on storage. Would be nice if those prices came down a bit, since they are quite inflated.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Competition with Android will not be their reasoning. The way Apple has traditionally "lowered prices" on their flash memory is just by offering models with increased memory. I think the two most likely scenarios are things staying as they are (16, 32, 64 GB for current gen models and 8GB for anything lower) or they may just do away with the 16GB current gen (so the options will be 32, 64GB) and keep the 16GB for previous gen phones.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Competition with Android will not be their reasoning. The way Apple has traditionally "lowered prices" on their flash memory is just by offering models with increased memory. I think the two most likely scenarios are things staying as they are (16, 32, 64 GB for current gen models and 8GB for anything lower) or they may just do away with the 16GB current gen (so the options will be 32, 64GB) and keep the 16GB for previous gen phones.

That's a good thought. Maybe they'll move to 32/64 GB options for the new iPhone and have 8/16 for $0/$99 iPhone 4 and 4S

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. I don't think that we will see either an increase in storage or a decrease in price.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
After all, how else are they supposed to boast the benefits of iCloud if you have 128gb of storage locally?

iCloud is a relatively small amount of storage. Even if you pay for more, don't you max out at 20GB? iCloud is all about having all of your information available on all of your devices without having to specifically sync each device. It's not really about replacing local storage of large files (which tend to be media and apps).

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I would love to see Apple move the base phone to 32GB's. 16GB is getting to be really limiting these days. But just for that reason I don't see them doing it as the profit of a 32GB phone is considerably more than 16GB.

Even if Apple lowered the price of their phones I don't see the price we pay getting any lower, the carriers would just pocket the difference. For the record Apple isn't going to drop the price.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Yup. I've never really worried much about storage myself, but with the 4S I went with the 32GB model as my previous 16GB models got tight with space. 8 months later, I got a message on my iPhone about memory nearly being full. Didn't realize I was so close, with the camera and shooting like crazy the camera roll had reached 22GB alone hah.

GEez that's crazy! I want to upgrade to the 32gb but I really really dont want to pay $300 for something that for sure shouldn't be that much :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.