Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
yogarcia
macrumors newbie

Installed 10.8 by creating a partition, Disk Utility wont give me back free space

I had an issue installing 10.8 on my 2010 mac so I followed the steps given here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

After I successfully installed ML, I tried to get my space back. [space left from deleting bootcamp partition]. However, Disk Utility gives me a few errors:

When I try to verify the hard drive:

MY current hard drive partition set up:

When I try to erase Untitled partition:

Notice how my Macintosh HD is not taking up the entire space at the bottom, if I try to take back that space nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated.
yogarcia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Cathode
macrumors regular

Hi yogarcia,

I'm having the exact same issue. Deleted a Bootcamp partition and now my 'freespace' has been stuck in some void. I'm currently unable to make a new partition or even merge it back to my primary partition. When I attempt to OSX claims it is being used for CoreStorage and must be adjusted using 'diskutil' in Terminal. Unfortunately, it's not even showing up at all in there...

I was disappointed to see that no one replied to your post. Were you able to find a solution? If not I think I'll need to schedule a Genius appointment.

It seems that I shouldn't have upgraded to OSX 10.8 so soon. There appears to be lots of wacky disk issues with it as it also broke one of my Time Machine external drives. I had to use a linux computer just to make the drive readable again by OSX.

Last edited by Cathode; Aug 8, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Cathode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Icy1007
macrumors 6502a

Did you use the Boot Camp utility to remove the boot camp partition?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Cathode
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy1007 View Post
Did you use the Boot Camp utility to remove the boot camp partition?
The Boot Camp utility locked up after eight hours after selecting remove. After opening disk utility, there appeared to be no change. So to answer your question, no. I used disk utility to erase the volume which generated errors. Any subsequent attempts give me the issue I posted above.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion