Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzj687

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Hi!

I use web based GMail, and was wondering if anyone might know how to get Mountain Lion Notification Centre to notify me of incoming e-mails (à la push notification style).

Thanks

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Use spotlight search and open Mail. Hold the command key and hit the comma button to open preferences. Click on the accounts tab, in the left hand column select the plus button at the bottom. Add your Gmail account.

Next, type in Notifications in the spotlight search. Open it. In the left hand column of this select "Mail". Make sure "Show in Notification Center" is checked.

To enable POP or IMAP in your Gmail account, visit your Gmail on your browser, log in, select the gear icon and select settings as pictured:

IsSRs.png

Then select the tab that says Forwarding and Pop/IMAP as pictured:

rJmxk.png

Enable pop and imap as needed, scroll down and save changes.

Hope this helped.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Now the question is, how do we get notifications to bring us into Gmail, within a browser tab, automatically?

Hmm.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Now the question is, how do we get notifications to bring us into Gmail, within a browser tab, automatically?

Hmm.

You mean mail notifications? I mean, you could just use Mail to reply if you've already added your account by clicking on the mail notification you get in the notification center.

I really have no idea if this is possible... I'd guess not.

jzj687

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the guidance, but after completing all the steps, nothing shows up in my notification centre (with or without having the mail.app open)

Thanks anyway!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the guidance, but after completing all the steps, nothing shows up in my notification centre (with or without having the mail.app open)

Thanks anyway!

Have you tried to email yourself yet?

You could go into Mail and select Mailbox - > Get New Mail - > Gmail and see what happens.

Odd.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Hi!

I use web based GMail, and was wondering if anyone might know how to get Mountain Lion Notification Centre to notify me of incoming e-mails (à la push notification style).

Thanks

I think the OP wanted to continue using web based Gmail.
I have an MBA and don't want to waste a few GB of SSD space to store my Gmail account in mail.app. So does anyone know how to enable html5 notifications from mail.apple.com via Safari 6 to ML's Notification center ?

I tried https://gist.github.com/3185894 but it doesn't work - even if plus.google.com is added to the list of permissions in Safari 6 "notifications" tab in the preferences pane.

thanks to anyone who could help and to those who already replied to this thread.

Olivier

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
Use spotlight search and open Mail. Hold the command key and hit the comma button to open preferences. Click on the accounts tab, in the left hand column select the plus button at the bottom. Add your Gmail account.

Next, type in Notifications in the spotlight search. Open it. In the left hand column of this select "Mail". Make sure "Show in Notification Center" is checked.

To enable POP or IMAP in your Gmail account, visit your Gmail on your browser, log in, select the gear icon and select settings as pictured:

[...]
Hope this helped.

It doesn't work as I just checked (mail app open, i sent test email, gmail notifier worked, Mail app icon shows unread email but notification center shows nothing).

Beside, OP wanted to continue web based mail only without having to keep mail app opened. Me too. For now I still use gmail notifier set to check every 1min.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It doesn't work as I just checked (mail app open, i sent test email, gmail notifier worked, Mail app icon shows unread email but notification center shows nothing).

Beside, OP wanted to continue web based mail only without having to keep mail app opened. Me too. For now I still use gmail notifier set to check every 1min.

Notification center won't work with mails sent to yourself. It has to be from someone else. If you have another GMail account you could send it from, that would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.