Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I'm talking about the 2010 MBP models that were in abundance just a couple days ago. Do they sell them at an extreme discount to schools or some 3rd party Mac reseller to just get rid of them? They certainly didn't sell them all through their website in the past couple of days.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I'm talking about the 2010 MBP models that were in abundance just a couple days ago. Do they sell them at an extreme discount to schools or some 3rd party Mac reseller to just get rid of them? They certainly didn't sell them all through their website in the past couple of days.

How do you know they didnt sell??

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
How do you know they didnt sell??

I don't know for certain but there was a bunch of 2010 models that nobody was buying for ages. Especially when they were near the same price as the 2011 models and quite a bit slower. I'm just wondering where they go to unload them.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009

They go to live on a farm where they can be happy and free.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They certainly didn't sell them all through their website in the past couple of days.
What evidence do you have of this? Refurbs can sell within minutes of being posted, or take weeks before they sell. The inventory changes constantly, sometimes several times a day.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Chances are that they just sold them all.

Do they sell them at an extreme discount to schools or some 3rd party Mac reseller to just get rid of them?

This is also a possibility. I worked at a 3rd party Apple reseller here in Oregon and several times we received pallets of refurb Macs directly from Apple. These were all brand new and were sold with full warranty. It only happened once a year or so, I'm sure it simply depends on the surplus of refurbs. Anyway, I haven't worked there for almost 5 years now, so they may not be doing this anymore.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I have it on good good authorities one of two things happen:

1. They're put out to pasture....basically they're put in a mock up of an Apple Store on display in the middle of one infinite loop where Apple employees on break can walk by and examine them, making them feel useful and wanted once more. Or,

2. They're promptly euthanized. And the technician, before he starts the procedure, softly strokes them, telling them that they'll wake up in the next life as retinas.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Chances are that they just sold them all.

Well there were at least 8 2010 models in addition to the 2011 models up now just for the 15" section. All of a sudden they all disappear at the same time? It also seems highly unlikely anyone would waste money buying them when they almost the same price as the 2011 models and significantly slower machines(dual core+ 330m).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well there were at least 8 2010 models in addition to the 2011 models up now just for the 15" section. All of a sudden they all disappear at the same time? It also seems highly unlikely anyone would waste money buying them when they almost the same price as the 2011 models and significantly slower machines(dual core+ 330m).

Maybe they were listed in error and Apple removed them all at the same time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A business could have bought them all. There are many possibilities. Honestly, what difference does it make? They're gone. It doesn't matter why. There will be more to replace them.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
A business could have bought them all. There are many possibilities. Honestly, what difference does it make? They're gone. It doesn't matter why. There will be more to replace them.

I'm just wondering if there's a cheaper place to buy them from now or if you can get in on this firesale or what have you when they offload them every year.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

Give the guy a break...he probably wanted to scoop one up for a big discount now that Apple may have given up on them and shuttled them off to somewhere else where they'd be discounted further.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Give the guy a break...he probably wanted to scoop one up for a big discount now that Apple may have given up on them and shuttled them off to somewhere else where they'd be discounted further.
Apple isn't going to tell you where they went, so it's pointless to speculate.
I'm just wondering if there's a cheaper place to buy them from now or if you can get in on this firesale or what have you when they offload them every year.
Apple won't tell you where they go. If you want a refurb of a particular model, you can use RefurbMe to be notified when it comes to the refurb store.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Apple isn't going to tell you where they went, so it's pointless to speculate.
Which is why I'm asking here... Hoping that someone would have some insight into what happens to them. Not sure why this is so hard for you to figure out.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Which is why I'm asking here... Hoping that someone would have some insight into what happens to them. Not sure why this is so hard for you to figure out.
No one but Apple knows. Not sure why this is so hard for you to figure out.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
No one but Apple knows. Not sure why this is so hard for you to figure out.

Not sure why I need to spell it out for you but obviously the people who work at the place they sold them to or friends of those people would know. As has already been suggested by a former reseller employee, they're possibly sold to resellers. Not sure if anyone but an official reseller would be able to get in during this yearly offloadings though.

You've made enough useless troll posts in this thread already. Obviously you have no clue so sit back and allow others share their information.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not sure why I need to spell it out for you but obviously the people who work at the place they sold them to or friends of those people would know. As has already been suggested by a former reseller employee, they're possibly sold to resellers. Not sure if anyone but an official reseller would be able to get in during this yearly offloadings though.
Posting facts is not trolling, just because you don't like the facts. No one has inside information about what happens to Apple refurb products. There is no evidence supporting the theory of "offloading" and there is no evidence that items were not sold. Apple will not tell you, and anything else is baseless speculation.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Probably sold at give away prices in other countries or they're gutted/recycled for parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.