Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Mikhailov
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Tried Galaxy S3...going back to 4S

Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:17 AM   #3
llfloyd79
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va. Beach, VA.
I did the same thing. I went to Galaxy S3 and in 4 days came back to iphone 4S. Like you said, the Galaxy S3 is a great phone....really great, but its something about iphone that just keeps drawing me in lol. I will admit, I do miss the screen size of the Galaxy S3 compared to the iphone screen size.
llfloyd79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
barredfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Once you go black, you never go back.
barredfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Mikhailov
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.
Thought I could pull off the switch and enjoy the bigger screen, but I missed my iOS, so that made the bigger screen pointless to me. At least I can say I tried I guess.
Mikhailov is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.
tekno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Mikhailov
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.
Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.
Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:27 AM   #9
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?
Obviously if he likes the bigger screen. It's good he found what works best for him and what he likes rather than just blindly choosing one brand.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5s - iOS 8.0 beta 4
iPad mini 16GB WiFi - iOS 7.1.2
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
revelated
macrumors 6502a
 
revelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?
__________________
True Stories of a Common Man
revelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I did the same thing with the HTC One X. I didn't sell my 4s though so it wasn't difficult to switch back. The One X had a really good screen but I still couldn't help but feel it was a slight step backwards. I was going to try the s3 but I will wait till the iPhone 5 is announced to make a decision.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Mikhailov
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?
Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #13
bigjim83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
He called himself a "fanboi" that's just depressing and makes me sad to have an iPhone.
bigjim83 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #14
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.
I love the s3 but nobody could disagree with you when you rightly say that s-voice really is a poor attempt at voice control. Will be interesting to see what samsung will do when google now is released
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Mikhailov
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
He called himself a "fanboi" that's just depressing and makes me sad to have an iPhone.
Sorry. It's the best description.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #16
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?
Not everyone is able to buy a new phone out of pocket...
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5s - iOS 8.0 beta 4
iPad mini 16GB WiFi - iOS 7.1.2
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #17
JoJoCal19
macrumors 6502a
 
JoJoCal19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.
__________________
2011 MBP 15" 2.0 i7 64GB Black AT&T iPad Air Verizon iPhone 5 64GB iPad (2012) 32GB Black Verizon 4G
JoJoCal19 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
ricanloveee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Party in the USA
I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...


i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/
__________________
Don't confuse hobby for obsession.
ricanloveee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:00 PM   #19
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.
Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Rennir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?
If it is true, Apple please get rid of your youtube app immediately
Rennir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Mikhailov
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanloveee View Post
I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...


i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/
I felt the same. So I'm not crazy?
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Mac.World
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In front of uranus
It is refreshing to see some honest posts on here, instead of the typical troll bait trash talk. I respect those of you that gave Android a try, but just knew it wasn't for you. Android def isn't for everyone and the iPhone and iOS are great products. The iPhone just isn't for me anymore, after using the S3. The wonderful thing is, we have plenty of choices to decide what we want. I hope that doesn't ever go away.

Again, thank you all for not trashing other products in your posts. Much appreciated.
Mac.World is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
revelated
macrumors 6502a
 
revelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Not everyone is able to buy a new phone out of pocket...
The OP has already debunked that as the reason, but just to reply to you...

Where I come from, if you can't afford a thing, you don't buy it. Thus if one wants to try the Galaxy S3, you might consider buying the phone with a new contract and take advantage of the 14-day return policy if you really must try it. IF you don't have $200, then you do without.
__________________
True Stories of a Common Man
revelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:52 AM   #24
Mac?Daddy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alberta
I decided to try the galaxy s3 as well as I was switching carriers. I walked into the store having some some research and compared the s3 and 4s and expected to leave with the iPhone. As soon as I picked up the galaxy (having never actually held one) I just had to ipulse buy it.
I thought I would regret it within hours and be back in the store begging to switch back, but the remorse never came. I've had an iPhone since the day they came to
Canada and really thought I would never go to another phone, but at least in my mind this phone and OS is far better than anything I've experienced from apple.
I must say, however, that I've spent the last 4 odd years modding the hell out of my iPhones, which is probably why the Droid is more appealing to me.
Mac?Daddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:09 AM   #25
fox10078
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I can't blame you, I'd rather go back to an old nokia before buying an Android that wasn't a Nexus.

Everything else is rubbish, stock straight experience from the makers of the OS or bust for me.
__________________
Vortex 8: Super Hackintosh Vortex 4: Render pal for Vortex 8, Also Hackintosh. Galaxy Nexus. iPad 2, My always trusty Macbook(Late 2006). Mac Pro 3,1(RIP) iPhone 4S(RIP)
fox10078 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I traded in my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4 tonight and I will already be switching back. Jacoblee23 iPhone 40 Sep 16, 2013 11:42 AM
My weird journey to the dark side (samsung galaxy) and back sat165 iPhone 25 Jul 31, 2013 10:22 AM
Would Apple get the lead back in sells with Galaxy Note iPhone with a killer DAC? mtnbikerva1 iPhone 17 May 30, 2013 06:28 PM
Left my iPhone 4 for Galaxy S3...Now I'm back rotobadger iPhone 27 Sep 26, 2012 01:19 AM
Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint Dolorian Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 111 Sep 4, 2012 11:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC