Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Tried Galaxy S3...going back to 4S

Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.
Mikhailov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Mackan
macrumors 65816

I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:17 AM   #3
llfloyd79
macrumors member

I did the same thing. I went to Galaxy S3 and in 4 days came back to iphone 4S. Like you said, the Galaxy S3 is a great phone....really great, but its something about iphone that just keeps drawing me in lol. I will admit, I do miss the screen size of the Galaxy S3 compared to the iphone screen size.
llfloyd79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
barredfreak
macrumors 6502

Once you go black, you never go back.
barredfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.
Thought I could pull off the switch and enjoy the bigger screen, but I missed my iOS, so that made the bigger screen pointless to me. At least I can say I tried I guess.
Mikhailov is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
tekno
Banned

At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.
tekno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.
Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.
Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:27 AM   #9
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?
Obviously if he likes the bigger screen. It's good he found what works best for him and what he likes rather than just blindly choosing one brand.
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
revelated
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

I did the same thing with the HTC One X. I didn't sell my 4s though so it wasn't difficult to switch back. The One X had a really good screen but I still couldn't help but feel it was a slight step backwards. I was going to try the s3 but I will wait till the iPhone 5 is announced to make a decision.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?
Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #13
bigjim83
macrumors 6502

He called himself a "fanboi" that's just depressing and makes me sad to have an iPhone.
bigjim83 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #14
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.
I love the s3 but nobody could disagree with you when you rightly say that s-voice really is a poor attempt at voice control. Will be interesting to see what samsung will do when google now is released
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
He called himself a "fanboi" that's just depressing and makes me sad to have an iPhone.
Sorry. It's the best description.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #16
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Not everyone is able to buy a new phone out of pocket...
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #17
JoJoCal19
macrumors 6502a

I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
ricanloveee
macrumors 6502

I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...

i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:00 PM   #19
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.
Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Rennir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?
If it is true, Apple please get rid of your youtube app immediately
Rennir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Mikhailov
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanloveee View Post
I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...

i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/
I felt the same. So I'm not crazy?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Mac.World
Banned

It is refreshing to see some honest posts on here, instead of the typical troll bait trash talk. I respect those of you that gave Android a try, but just knew it wasn't for you. Android def isn't for everyone and the iPhone and iOS are great products. The iPhone just isn't for me anymore, after using the S3. The wonderful thing is, we have plenty of choices to decide what we want. I hope that doesn't ever go away.

Again, thank you all for not trashing other products in your posts. Much appreciated.
Mac.World is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
revelated
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Not everyone is able to buy a new phone out of pocket...
The OP has already debunked that as the reason, but just to reply to you...

Where I come from, if you can't afford a thing, you don't buy it. Thus if one wants to try the Galaxy S3, you might consider buying the phone with a new contract and take advantage of the 14-day return policy if you really must try it. IF you don't have $200, then you do without.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:52 AM   #24
Mac?Daddy
macrumors member

I decided to try the galaxy s3 as well as I was switching carriers. I walked into the store having some some research and compared the s3 and 4s and expected to leave with the iPhone. As soon as I picked up the galaxy (having never actually held one) I just had to ipulse buy it.
I thought I would regret it within hours and be back in the store begging to switch back, but the remorse never came. I've had an iPhone since the day they came to
Canada and really thought I would never go to another phone, but at least in my mind this phone and OS is far better than anything I've experienced from apple.
I must say, however, that I've spent the last 4 odd years modding the hell out of my iPhones, which is probably why the Droid is more appealing to me.
Mac?Daddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:09 AM   #25
fox10078
macrumors 6502

I can't blame you, I'd rather go back to an old nokia before buying an Android that wasn't a Nexus.

Everything else is rubbish, stock straight experience from the makers of the OS or bust for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices