Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
well, I can tell you that it definitely caches less than Lion.

I've got a rMBP witch 16GB RAM,
under Lion it would use 8GB's.

Under ML, it uses only 4.5GB.

But don't worry, there's 1.55GB wired RAM (that's RAM that the OS can trow away, but haven't yet, 'cause OS X likes to cache it :p),
and 850MB Inactive.

So I'm only using 2.16GB of RAM (active RAM)

(ps: Safari takes 750 MB RAM)

ANd if you're still worried,
Mountain Lion minimum system requirement for the RAM is only 2GB :O

So, just download and enjoy :)

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
At times I have noticed it sits idle using a little more RAM than Lion did.

I have 8GB on my MBP and I use to sit around 22% idle after I closed all Apps. Now it seems to stay at 33-35% usage. kernel_task seems to be eating up most of my RAM all the time.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
On my 16GB Mac Pro & Lion, I used to see some "Swap used:" after a couple days.

Haven't seen that yet with Mountain Lion.
--

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does Mountain Lion use less RAM?
How much RAM is used is directly related to what you have running at any point in time. It will vary widely as your workload varies, no matter which version of Mac OS X you're running.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I dunno, I have 16gb of ram and in total it was using up 12+gb last night and all I was doing was surfing the web

granted, i have some background apps running like hiss and bowtie, but come on, 8 was in active use

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I dunno, I have 16gb of ram and in total it was using up 12+gb last night and all I was doing was surfing the web

granted, i have some background apps running like hiss and bowtie, but come on, 8 was in active use
Mac OS X will use whatever RAM is available. That doesn't mean you would have page outs with less RAM. Free memory is wasted memory.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Just one day after a restart. A few apps open, and it has eaten almost 6 GB RAM. For me, it is same as Lion. And yes, 1.2 GB is inactive :rolleyes:

Although I have observed wired memory after boot is significantly lower (600-700 MB) compared to Lion (900 - 1 GB).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just one day after a restart. A few apps open, and it has eaten almost 6 GB RAM. For me, it is same as Lion. And yes, 1.2 GB is inactive :rolleyes:

Although I have observed wired memory after boot is significantly lower (600-700 MB) compared to Lion (900 - 1 GB).
It doesn't matter how much RAM is used. Mac OS X will use all available memory. Free and inactive memory are both available to any app that needs additional memory. The only thing to watch for is page outs.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I have lion and 8gb of ram. Hardly ever go below 4gb. And even with 10 tabs open in safari half is the most I ever used. I only went below 4gb one time. Not sure why. 3.6 or 7 something I think. Not much but I did.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Mac OS X will use whatever RAM is available. That doesn't mean you would have page outs with less RAM. Free memory is wasted memory.

This argument has never made sense to me. If the program has reserved some "extra" memory and is actively using it, then it's bloated. If it has reserved some "extra" memory just in case it needs it, then it may be preventing another program from using it. Memory should be reserved when it is needed. It's not like it takes much longer to do that than if it had pre-reserved it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This argument has never made sense to me. If the program has reserved some "extra" memory and is actively using it, then it's bloated. If it has reserved some "extra" memory just in case, then it may be preventing another program from using it. Memory should be reserved when it is needed. It's not like it takes much longer to do that then if it had pre-reserved it.
Apps don't "reserve" memory. Apps simply send requests to Mac OS X, which manages all memory usage.

andy8

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
VMware Fusion on Mountain Lion

screenshot20120730at143.png

My VMware Fusion was taking up so much RAM on Mountain Lion, I stopped using it (vmware-vmx). I have the latest version too - Version 4.1.3 (730298). Hopefully there will be an update soon from the team.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Presently, while running Spotify, iTunes, Mail, Messages and Activity Monitor, I have 3.25 GB free of 8. Mountain Lion has done wonders for performance on my end.

Check your activity monitor and see what you have free. Go from there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.