Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I've recently upgraded to Mountain Lion running on a Macbook Unibody 2010, with 2GB ram, 2.4GHz processor. I've noticed a considerable drop in performance. Especially with the opening of applications and boot up.

I was wondering if upgrading to 4GB the max RAM supported will make a difference ? I was previously running Snow Leopard.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.60f5
Serial Number (system): 34021XE5F5W
Hardware UUID: EA405F1F-E719-5DE5-B0E6-CF6CFF5C1497
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
2GB isn't even that comfortable in SL for anything beyond basic functions. It doesn't need to be given the pricing of ram. I would suggest going to 4 or 8GB. 8 would cost you roughly $50. 4 would be $25-30 assuming you replace both dimms. 4GB was the official limit according to Apple as they didn't bother to certify 8 at the time. Remember that 8 cost quite a bit more a couple years ago. Now you can go to 16 in a 2011 or 2012 for just over $100, which is impressive.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I have the exact same Macbook with 8Gs ram and a 7200RPM hard drive and it's screaming fast. That was just an upgrade. In the next week or so, I'm going to do a fresh clean install.

I'd say upgrade to 8Gs of ram, it will do it.

Macbook at EveryMac.Com

RAM at OWC

Thanks for your reply. I thought the maximum it can take with 4GB, 2 x 2GB slots ? Will there be warranty issues with putting 8GB in ?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Thanks for your reply. I thought the maximum it can take with 4GB, 2 x 2GB slots ? Will there be warranty issues with putting 8GB in ?

I don't think there is. I upgraded my AC in October 2011 for two more years. No issues thus far minis the famous cracking on the top cover by the hinges.

I think they are considered user replaceable. I'll see if I can find where it's mentioned.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Ram is a user replaceable part, so there is no warranty issue.

Pretty much every Mac can use more RAM that apple recognizes.

The only issue you would have is if you had to take your Mac to the genius bar (for ANY reason) they could tell you that they won't fix it until you put the original amount of ram back (since the don't support more).

Moral of the story: put in as much ram as you can, but keep the original sticks just in case you take it into Apple.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Ram is a user replaceable part, so there is no warranty issue.

Pretty much every Mac can use more RAM that apple recognizes.

The only issue you would have is if you had to take your Mac to the genius bar (for ANY reason) they could tell you that they won't fix it until you put the original amount of ram back (since the don't support more).

Moral of the story: put in as much ram as you can, but keep the original sticks just in case you take it into Apple.

Since i'm in the UK, do you know of any places where i could buy the 2 x 4GB cheap ?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I have the exact same Macbook with 8Gs ram and a 7200RPM hard drive and it's screaming fast. That was just an upgrade. In the next week or so, I'm going to do a fresh clean install.

I'd say upgrade to 8Gs of ram, it will do it.

Macbook at EveryMac.Com

RAM at OWC

Same here. Mountain Lion will be 100x better if you upgrade to 8GB instead of 4GB.. I think that 4GB is the minimum anyway?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Same here. Mountain Lion will be 100x better if you upgrade to 8GB instead of 4GB.. I think that 4GB is the minimum anyway?

Not sure, for testing purposes, I could install my 2G and 4G modules just to test.

I'm 100% happy with my ML upgrade. Even on my MacMini in sig, it's running beautifully. I can run Diablo 3 (on lowest settings) without lag or jittering/slow responses. I haven't tried medium settings yet.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
I agree with everyone else saying you should probably upgrade all the way to 8gb.

I have the last MacBook to be made (Model wise, not actual machine) and I upgraded it to 8GB of ram and did an upgrade from Lion to ML. So far, it's screaming along nicely and no issues at all.

I used 2 x 4GB sticks for the memory upgrade.

Definitely do it, you won't regret it. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.