Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Im using the base model retina macbook pro , however , i noticed there are longer wake up time from waking from sleep , lion has instant wake up time.

Even after i install the update

Anyone have similar issue? or anyway to fix it?

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Plusplus to the number of people who are having this problem with the base rMBP. I was expect the rMBP to wake up faster than my old 17" with a SSD and the opposite seemed to be true. That was with Lion, in ML it's so slow to wake up I start wondering if it wants to be plugged in or something.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Yep, as stated in other thread, both my Macbook air 2010 and my 2009 Mac Pro both have the slow wake up. Mac Pro has no mouse pointer at all for 5 - 10 seconds after wakeup.

Hoping they fix it pretty quickly! I used to be able to open my MBA and start typing my password instantly to log in. Now it won't even register key presses.

TXCiclista

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Same here. Just took 20s to fully wake up. This is compared to 2s with Lion.

iMac 27" i5

xBlue

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
I have the same problem as well. I have a retina base model.

Also, there's an extra problem. In Lion and previous OS if you type your password even before the cursor starts blinking, when it wakes up the password is typed. In Mountain Lion it does not, which is annoying if you're used to Lion.

Croaks

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Slow wake up in ML

Same annoying behaviour after upgrading to Mountain Lion on my iMac. Hope, it is getting fixed soon...

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
For me it wakes in same time as in Lion but now it takes 3-6 seconds till I can use mouse and keyboard.

E: I have rMBP

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
For me it wakes in same time as in Lion but now it takes 3-6 seconds till I can use mouse and keyboard.

E: I have rMBP

Same here, I also noticed on the screen during that 3-6 second "pause" that the clock is reading the time it went to sleep, not the current time.

Then after 3-6 seconds the clock updates and the mouse/trackpad/keyboard becomes active.

I have done both a SMC and PRAM reset. Neither helped.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Same here, I also noticed on the screen during that 3-6 second "pause" that the clock is reading the time it went to sleep, not the current time.

Then after 3-6 seconds the clock updates and the mouse/trackpad/keyboard becomes active.

Exactly. But this happens only when it is in sleep mode for some time. If you put it to sleep for 5-10min it is pretty much instant.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
This is caused by a new feature called Standby Mode which works on the MBP Retina and MBA. After an hour of sleep, the contents of the RAM are moved to the SSD so that the machine can power off more parts of the system to conserve battery power, the result being that your battery can last for 30 days in sleep mode. However, when you try to wake the machine up, the contents of the memory need to be copied back into RAM, which takes a few seconds. I'm guessing (speculation – not tested) that this might even be slower for people with more RAM (i.e. 16GB).

I doubt Apple can do anything about the wait time when coming out of Standby without changing the hardware, but I think the way the UI works at the moment is broken and hopefully they'll fix it soon with a ML update:

(1) First, they need to put in some kind of progress bar to show that the machine is coming out of Standby and that we should wait. The problem at the moment is that you see the normal login screen but it is frozen. You try to type your password but the keyboard doesn't respond. This just feels broken, so makes the problem feel worse.

(2) Maybe they should add a setting to System Preferences to disable Standby Mode. I can see this would be pretty useful for people who use their laptops all the time. I don't really care (most of the time) if my laptop can survive for 30 days without use, because I use it every day!

Maybe if we all submit feedback to Apple they will fix this bug.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
This is caused by a new feature called Standby Mode which works on the MBP Retina and MBA. After an hour of sleep, the contents of the RAM are moved to the SSD so that the machine can power off more parts of the system to conserve battery power, the result being that your battery can last for 30 days in sleep mode. However, when you try to wake the machine up, the contents of the memory need to be copied back into RAM, which takes a few seconds. I'm guessing (speculation – not tested) that this might even be slower for people with more RAM (i.e. 16GB).

does that apply to HDD, cause many people that have this issue don't have SSD.

theanoon

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Try uncheck the Power Nap.
I had the similar issue earlier on, but things are faster now :)

IMG_ 2012-08-07 at 2.21.05 AM.jpg

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
does that apply to HDD, cause many people that have this issue don't have SSD.

Well if it does apply to HDD then I'm wrong. Because I don't think laptops with HDD have the Standby feature.

Of course with a hard drive you might expect a slightly longer delay.

So maybe the main problem is the lack of a progress indicator on wake?

----------

Try uncheck the Power Nap.
I had the similar issue earlier on, but things are faster now :)

View attachment 351723

OK, I will try that. Seems odd that Powernap would cause the machine to wake up slower though, after an hour. You would have thought Powernap would mean the machine was in a slightly more ready state...? Who knows.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

Sorry I have to bump an old thread, but this is happening to me as well. Lion was super speedy to wake up and now it takes 5-10 seconds to allow me to put my password in. It sounds small, but it is very maddening considering it was so responsive in the past.

Any ideas?

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
PowerNap was the problem for me. I disabled it and my rMBP wakes immediately whether it's five minutes or five hours since I closed it.

Cityhall89

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
PowerNap was the problem for me. I disabled it and my rMBP wakes immediately whether it's five minutes or five hours since I closed it.

I am still having the slow wake up issue (freezes for a few seconds) on my 2011 MBA even with PowerNap disabled.

I initially thought I caused the issue with "IceClean" - "optimize launch services". However, after using the optimization on my iMac 2009 with no error, I still believe the issue is something in ML.

cormacrelf

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Check your Console logs

Everyone here should search their Console.app logs for 'loginwindow' - I have this exact issue with a 2011 MBA, and every time I log in, it logs precisely this message to the console.

Code:
28/11/12 11:40:19.206 PM loginwindow[3191]: find_shared_window: WID -1
28/11/12 11:40:19.206 PM loginwindow[3191]: CGSSetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Everyone here should search their Console.app logs for 'loginwindow' - I have this exact issue with a 2011 MBA, and every time I log in, it logs precisely this message to the console.

Code:
28/11/12 11:40:19.206 PM loginwindow[3191]: find_shared_window: WID -1
28/11/12 11:40:19.206 PM loginwindow[3191]: CGSSetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff

I have this too. Any remedy?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I am still having the slow wake up issue (freezes for a few seconds) on my 2011 MBA even with PowerNap disabled.

I initially thought I caused the issue with "IceClean" - "optimize launch services". However, after using the optimization on my iMac 2009 with no error, I still believe the issue is something in ML.

As has been mentioned in quite a few threads here, this is a battery saving feature of ML where memory is written to disk when the laptop is on battery power--this feature is engaged after a certain time the laptop is put to sleep (not really sure how long--around an hour). This saves battery power. It can be disabled--some of the other threads mention how--personally I like this feature. My rMBP takes about 10 seconds to be active so I can enter the password--no big deal for me. Zero wait time when on ac power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.