Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
My MBP does not download and notify me of software updates, as it is set to do. An issue I need to resolve , because I sometimes forget to check and as this week found 4 updates needed installing.

That is when the trouble started, I clicked on all four to install and the installation froze just before completion, and kept on doing so every time I tried to install.

I phoned Apple Care, who failed to resolve the issue, suggesting it was a Wi Fi network issue, which I was confident it wasn't.

This morning I noticed one of the two iPhoto updates was no longer in the update list, I presume it was the frozen one which was stopping anything else being installed, not just the remaining three Apple updates but also Adobe Flash and Trusteer Rapport, which I tried .

I then noticed that iPhoto was not functioning in many many ways, and also that shutting down the Mac took forever, instead of it's usual instant shut down.

So now I am really worried that I have serious problems. Until this afternoon when I had another go at software updating and bingo ! the installs were completed one at a time, and then iPhoto was ok and shut down also.

Has anyone any idea what was going on ? my theory for what it's worth, is that trying to install two iPhoto updates was probably causing some sort of conflict.

Also any thoughts on why my Software Updating doesn't automatically download and advise me of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.