Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2005
If the new iMac does have an anti glare screen, this by itself would make the iMac slightly thinner. Since Apple will have to redesign the aluminum case, do they then take this opportunity to make it even thinner by removing the optical drive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The optical drive in the iMac isn't what's limiting the thickness of the body. The current optical drives used in iMacs are standard slot loading ones. If Apple needed a thinner one, they'd use the slim slot loading drive like in Macbooks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
How much thinner can it get? What would that accomplish? It is already pretty thin and shaving of one centimeter or two does not save any kind of space when putting the iMac on a desk.

And btw, the ODD is pretty thin, thinner than the 3.5" HDD and the fans to cool all the components inside.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
The monitor of rMBP is thinner - if they embed the same tech in the iMac, which I suspect, it would make it thinner probably. If they remove the optical drive I see no reason to have the same thickness unless they want to use desktop CPU... But that would require more size to cope with heat... Not really apple style.. So yes slightly thinner is very probable.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The monitor of rMBP is thinner - if they embed the same tech in the iMac, which I suspect, it would make it thinner probably. If they remove the optical drive I see no reason to have the same thickness unless they want to use desktop CPU... But that would require more size to cope with heat... Not really apple style.. So yes slightly thinner is very probable.

iMacs already use desktop CPUs since 2009, the only mobile components it has left are the GPU and the RAM. Maybe have a look at iFixIt and several of its teardowns to get an inkling of what is inside an iMac.
The few millimeters shaved of my using no glass, like the MacBook Pro with Retina Display does, will not really accomplish that much of a difference.

Last edited:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Would like the same size with SSD's and more airflow, less heat, better cooling

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I think the item that makes for the bump in the back of it is the 3.5" hard drive. I wouldn't be surprised if the new iMac has the following design changes:

Maybe no chin
Proprietary flash up to 768gb (hopefully 128 standard. Spinning drives need to no longer be in the iMac - use an external connection).
No optical drive
New screen technology allowing for better viewing, not necessarily retina.

applefiend95

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
a lot of people are asking for thinner iMacs.... what is the point in doing so if one will keep it on their desk all of the time, it does not add to its portability - which the iMac is not. furthermore, even if apple does make it thinner, it would not accomplish anything. this is because the base of the iMac might not cover less area; in that case, the area available on a person's desk would remain the same. having said that, the total volume (length X width [depth] X height) would stay the same even if apple made the iMac thinner. therefore, it can be concluded that even if apple decides to make it thinner, there would be no point, unless the width (depth) was also reduced.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I can't think of one. And what about the processor? Wouldn't less space mean more concerns about heat?

Yeah, I would rather see the thickness stay the same as other components (like storage) shrink, resulting in better heat dissipation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.