Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
iOrbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
what is needed for smooth airplay mirroring?

for me, airplay mirroring is not smooth, i get some lag. movies is only just about watchable, but noticeable lag.

whats needed for the kind of airplay mirroring that i'v seen others get where films play 100% smooth?

i mean, when i watch the same movies through itunes airplay, they play 100% smooth.

at the moment, im on 10mb broadband.
i have 2011 late 15 inch mbp.

i dont have an ssd yet, but it will be installed when it arrives next week.

is there any settings that could make airplay perform less based on my router or network??
__________________
MacBook Pro - late 2011, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. iPad - 2nd Gen, White 16gb. iPhone 4s - Black 8gb. iPod Touch - 4th Gen, 8GB, White. TV - 3rd Gen.
iOrbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
stuaz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
You could try plugging ether the Apple TV or your Mac into Ethernet if possible.

I know it helps if both aren't going over wifi (At least it helped for me).
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
EvilShenaniganZ
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I have the retina mbp. My air play is unusable with the lag being about 1 min for video and audio is perfect. However when I switch to itunes video and audio is ok? Why wont airplay work but itunes will?
__________________
HTC ONE X, 2012 15"RMBP, 64g Ipad-4

"it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense."
EvilShenaniganZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
iOrbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
You could try plugging ether the Apple TV or your Mac into Ethernet if possible.

I know it helps if both aren't going over wifi (At least it helped for me).
i was thinking of doing that for the apple tv, as it is furthest away from the router, while my laptop is nearer. but i'd need a damn long ethernet cable.
__________________
MacBook Pro - late 2011, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. iPad - 2nd Gen, White 16gb. iPhone 4s - Black 8gb. iPod Touch - 4th Gen, 8GB, White. TV - 3rd Gen.
iOrbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOrbit View Post
i was thinking of doing that for the apple tv, as it is furthest away from the router, while my laptop is nearer. but i'd need a damn long ethernet cable.
But you could try with a cable, if you have a 2nd monitor etc. And just see if that helps with the airplay mirroring. Also, you should try with a static ip on the Apple TV (i read that while troubleshooting, dont know if it really does anything).

And that works, you should get a better router. Both devices support 5GHz N wireless. You can see in Network Utility what kind of connection you have with your router.

__________________
iMac i7 3.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 256 SSD | MBA 2011 i5 1.7 GHz, 4 GB Ram | Mini i7 2.0 GHz, 4 GB Ram, RAID 0 | iPad 2 16 GB | iPhone 5 16 GB | ATV 3
Remember to quote orignal post.
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
iOrbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKemp View Post
But you could try with a cable, if you have a 2nd monitor etc. And just see if that helps with the airplay mirroring. Also, you should try with a static ip on the Apple TV (i read that while troubleshooting, dont know if it really does anything).

And that works, you should get a better router. Both devices support 5GHz N wireless. You can see in Network Utility what kind of connection you have with your router.

Image

my internet got upgraded from 10mbps to 30mbps, that alone has made a difference, airplay mirroring is finally good enough and comfortable enough to use the tv as a monitor, cursor isn't as laggy at all!

i'v ordered a long ethernet cable, to make the apple tv 1gbps connection speed (assuming it supports gigabit ethernet? my router does, my laptop right now is gigabit ethernet connected)

really happy about that today
__________________
MacBook Pro - late 2011, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. iPad - 2nd Gen, White 16gb. iPhone 4s - Black 8gb. iPod Touch - 4th Gen, 8GB, White. TV - 3rd Gen.
iOrbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:25 PM   #7
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOrbit View Post
my internet got upgraded from 10mbps to 30mbps, that alone has made a difference, airplay mirroring is finally good enough and comfortable enough to use the tv as a monitor, cursor isn't as laggy at all!

i'v ordered a long ethernet cable, to make the apple tv 1gbps connection speed (assuming it supports gigabit ethernet? my router does, my laptop right now is gigabit ethernet connected)

really happy about that today
Great! Nothing is better than a happy user.

I dont really think that the internet speed does matter though. Its the communication between the ATV and the MBP that matters. The only thing affecting those machines is the router. If the video was choppy or laggy on the MBP in the first place, that would be the case.

I was thinking more in the direction of using wireless b or g or 2.4 GHz instead of 5 etc.

The Apple TV does not support gigabit, but a wired connection is always to be preferred. Wireing one of the devices would also help (I think) cause' then only one of the devices would use the wireless. Anyway, it works now! Great!
__________________
iMac i7 3.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 256 SSD | MBA 2011 i5 1.7 GHz, 4 GB Ram | Mini i7 2.0 GHz, 4 GB Ram, RAID 0 | iPad 2 16 GB | iPhone 5 16 GB | ATV 3
Remember to quote orignal post.
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
iOrbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKemp View Post
Great! Nothing is better than a happy user.

I dont really think that the internet speed does matter though. Its the communication between the ATV and the MBP that matters. The only thing affecting those machines is the router. If the video was choppy or laggy on the MBP in the first place, that would be the case.

I was thinking more in the direction of using wireless b or g or 2.4 GHz instead of 5 etc.

The Apple TV does not support gigabit, but a wired connection is always to be preferred. Wireing one of the devices would also help (I think) cause' then only one of the devices would use the wireless. Anyway, it works now! Great!
trust me, the new internet speed made a difference, i say that based on using the mouse alone.

my router is wireless N standard, its known as the 'virgin media superhub' here.

its the only thing thats changed, the internet speed.

the video is never choppy on my mbp or through airplay in itunes.

its not really choppy on air mirroring, it just has moments of stuttering, its just not silky smooth. only NON HD video is silky smooth so far, whch im not complaining about.
__________________
MacBook Pro - late 2011, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. iPad - 2nd Gen, White 16gb. iPhone 4s - Black 8gb. iPod Touch - 4th Gen, 8GB, White. TV - 3rd Gen.
iOrbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Alameda
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Use an HDMI cable.
Alameda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:46 PM   #10
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norway
Try to stream a 1080p downloaded movie, but without Internet enabled. Then tell me how the new Internet speed could have anything to do with aiplay mirroring working better? AirPlay is not internet dependent. If you wired your MBP however, that would make a difference.
PaulKemp is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC