Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
iphonejunkie
macrumors newbie

Can't change status in iMessages

When I go to Messages > My Status the status options are greyed out. Does anyone know how to change status?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 6.42.33 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	350432  
iphonejunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
whynot83706
macrumors 6502

I am having same problem, also can you share screen?
whynot83706 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Open iMessage and get the preferences from the menu bar under "Messages" on the menu bar. There are options there to indicate how your availability should be displayed to others.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
TofSanity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
Open iMessage and get the preferences from the menu bar under "Messages" on the menu bar. There are options there to indicate how your availability should be displayed to others.
did this work for anyone else? everything is grey for me as well.
****WAITING FOR iPHONE 6plus SG 128GB******
TofSanity is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

It seems that status is not supported with iMessage accounts. If it is the only type of account you have enabled, then status is not able to be set.

I guess this means you are always "online" via iMessage as long as the account is enabled.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:41 AM   #6
tido2012

I was having the same issue, but was able to fix it by doing the following:
1st- Go to iMessages preferences: you get there by clicking iMessages and then on the top you will see where it says Messages, click that and then go down and click preferences.

2nd- Under General select "Show status in menu bar": I couldn't get it to work without doing this.

3rd- A small Messages icon pops up to the left of your WiFi info: its exact location may vary depending on what all you have installed on your computer.

I hope this helps
tido2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:38 AM   #7
devman
macrumors 65816

your AIM account has to be enabled.

Status has no meaning for iMessage/Messages. You are always available to receive a message. There is no online/offline. You can always send a message to an iMessage user.
devman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
It seems that status is not supported with iMessage accounts. If it is the only type of account you have enabled, then status is not able to be set.
It's like a phone number. You can always be reached at it.

I think the problem that some people are having is that they can't bear to not answer a message they receive. Quite how someone could have that sort of hang up is beyond me.

If you don't want to know about the message, turn alerts and banners off via the switch at the hidden top of the notifications panel.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:31 AM   #9
bushido
macrumors 603

not possible, would be rather pointless to be enabled anyway because how is an iPad or an iPhone supposed to see the status?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

What's the difference between iMessage and AIM? Does it have anything to do with iMessage only working between Mac/iOS devices? Or does iMessage work with any device? Everyone I know has an iPhone, it seems.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tido2012 View Post
I was having the same issue, but was able to fix it by doing the following:
1st- Go to iMessages preferences: you get there by clicking iMessages and then on the top you will see where it says Messages, click that and then go down and click preferences.

2nd- Under General select "Show status in menu bar": I couldn't get it to work without doing this.

3rd- A small Messages icon pops up to the left of your WiFi info: its exact location may vary depending on what all you have installed on your computer.

I hope this helps
There are a bunch of options that seem to be what others are looking for when you click the message bubble in the menu bar.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

The menubar options do nothing when you only have iMessage enabled. They are clickable, but do not change, and have no effect. They are only for use with AIM/Jabber/etc.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion