Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
friends i have Macbook Pro 17inches which i bought in January 2011, 2.33Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 configuration, now i have installed fresh mountain lion but i am not able to airplay mirroring, in System Preferences>Display there is SHOW MIRRORING OPTIONS IN THE MENU BAR WHEN AVAILABLE selected but i am unable to select apple tv. please help me
TThanks

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
friends i have Macbook Pro 17inches which i bought in January 2011, 2.33Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 configuration, now i have installed fresh mountain lion but i am not able to airplay mirroring, in System Preferences>Display there is SHOW MIRRORING OPTIONS IN THE MENU BAR WHEN AVAILABLE selected but i am unable to select apple tv. please help me
TThanks

Your model does not support AirPlay mirroring. It's a hardware limitation.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
You can verify what mac you have in the system profiler utility. (About This Mac -> More info).

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
You can verify what mac you have in the system profiler utility. (About This Mac -> More info).

Ya its showing me 17-inch, Mid 2010 :( i have tried Airparrot too but its not so smooth, dont know what to do i am lost, i purchased apple tv 3 just for mirroring and now nothing is happening. Please help me if someone have the best solution.
Thanks

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
The reason Air Parrot isn't smooth is down to the same reasons that Apple doesn't allow AirPlay on your version of the hardware. I believe its to do with the CPU not having the power or something like that.

Think you might have to stick with the classic "cable" to the TV instead.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Ya its showing me 17-inch, Mid 2010 :( i have tried Airparrot too but its not so smooth, dont know what to do i am lost, i purchased apple tv 3 just for mirroring and now nothing is happening. Please help me if someone have the best solution.
Thanks

Return the Apple TV and get a DVI or HDMI cable.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Do you have an iPad/iphone availble to see if you can use the Airplay features on them?

I would also suggest rebooting both devices and see if that helps.

If may also be having issues with the resolution possibly so if after a reboot doesn't help try lowering the resolution on your iMac before airplay?

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
Thanks

Did you try playing with the settings in AirParrot? At first, it wasn't smooth for me either but I maxed out the refresh rate and display quality. Now it's pretty damn smooth. I have a 2009 27" iMac, 2.8 i7. Obviously that might make a difference in your case, but interestingly, my CPU usage is around 6%. My computer hardly misses a beat. You might want to give it a shot, if you haven't already.

These results lead me to believe that no Airplay isn't necessarily a hardware issue...

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Did you try playing with the settings in AirParrot? At first, it wasn't smooth for me either but I maxed out the refresh rate and display quality. Now it's pretty damn smooth. I have a 2009 27" iMac, 2.8 i7. Obviously that might make a difference in your case, but interestingly, my CPU usage is around 6%. My computer hardly misses a beat. You might want to give it a shot, if you haven't already.

These results lead me to believe that no Airplay isn't necessarily a hardware issue...

ya i tried airparrot on macbook pro 17" with trying different settings but no success, sometimes the video gets faster but audio is slow, and sometimes vice versa...i am very very angry with this situation :(

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
Your two year old 17" Macbook is now obsolete (in Apple's eyes at least).
If you want and or need Airplay, go out and buy a brand new Macbook Pro, then it will work. Alternatively, buy an iPad, that can do it.

Welcome to Apple, where hardware becomes obsolete even before it gets old :)

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
is there any addon like RAM or anything else by which i will enable this airplay?

Unless you can put a new processor in your laptop (which you can't) then there is NO WAY to enable airplay...Ram or hardrive, or a new screen, or a furry dice won't help....

Use a cable (It would be better quality anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.